Tire options. Stock 17'' horrible in winter. Now what?

andresx2

I learned the stock 17'' goodyear suck in NY winter. Now what are my options?

-Are there any GOOD all-season P205/50R17 tires I could consider? This way I can get rid of tires and have a decent all year round tires, and I don't have to store a set of tires somewhere.

- Or, am I screwed, and force to buy a second set of wheels + tires for winter?. and move down to the P205/55R16?

Any advice is useful. thx,

UPDATE:

Found these all-season tires, first off, which ones do you guys reccomend? I am mostly interested in having good all-season tires. Storage is an issue.

Continental ContiTouringContact CV 95
All Season Grand Touring
Front & Rear: 205/50R17
Speed Rating: V

Goodyear Eagle RS-A
All Season High Performance

Goodyear Eagle RS-A (Run-Flat Design )

Pirelli P6 FOUR SEASONS
Front & Rear: 205/50VR17 XL

Last edited:
DO NOT BUY EAGLE RS-A'S! seriously thats what comes on the 3 stock and they are terrible, terrible tires.

I love my Kumho Ecsta ASX
(broken record)

Ok, so I see the Kumho ECSTA ASX are ~400 bucks with delivery.

But how good are these surckers for snow handling?. Again I'm in NY (westchester) not a lot of snow but enough to be a hazzle with shiiiiitty stock tires.

Well, I'm in Michigan and he's in Vermont and we both love them.
What does that tell you? :D

goldwing2000 said:
Well, I'm in Michigan and he's in Vermont and we both love them.
What does that tell you? :D

Either you own stock in the company, or they are good in snow handling.... so, how's your portfolio?

Serious. I was worried 'cause the descrition of the tires says "light snow handling", so I was wondering if that meant that anything past 0.5 inch it would suck big time.

Overall, how's the improvement vs the stock 17'' (goodyear potenza, are they?)..???

andresx2 said:
Either you own stock in the company, or they are good in snow handling.... so, how's your portfolio?

Serious. I was worried 'cause the descrition of the tires says "light snow handling", so I was wondering if that meant that anything past 0.5 inch it would suck big time.

Overall, how's the improvement vs the stock 17'' (goodyear potenza, are they?)..???

The stock are Goodyear Eagle RS-A (which is why we couldn't figure out why you listed them in your first post).

The Kumho's are light years ahead in wet, dry and snow. I've driven in snow up to 4-5" deep and had very little problem.
Not as good as a winter tire, obviously, but not too damn bad.

goldwing2000 said:
The stock are Goodyear Eagle RS-A (which is why we couldn't figure out why you listed them in your first post).

The Kumho's are light years ahead in wet, dry and snow. I've driven in snow up to 4-5" deep and had very little problem.
Not as good as a winter tire, obviously, but not too damn bad.

I was confused, don't know a lot about tires (deadhorse ) ... Are these Kumho's run flat tires?. do they work properly with the TPMS?

Also, what about the Continental ContiTouringContact CV 95
All Season Grand Touring? or Pirelli P6 FOUR SEASONS
All Season High Performance? Are they any good?

Just looking for the best bang for my buck.

Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho Kumho (first) (cheers)

andresx2 said:
I was confused, don't know a lot about tires (deadhorse ) ... Are these Kumho's run flat tires?. do they work properly with the TPMS?

Also, what about the Continental ContiTouringContact CV 95
All Season Grand Touring? or Pirelli P6 FOUR SEASONS
All Season High Performance? Are they any good?

Just looking for the best bang for my buck.

No, they're not run-flat but they will work with TPMS.

Don't know anything about those others but I know Pirellis in general have sidewall issues. Contis are usually decent tires.

andresx2 said:
I learned the stock 17'' goodyear suck in NY winter. Now what are my options?

-Are there any GOOD all-season P205/50R17 tires I could consider? This way I can get rid of tires and have a decent all year round tires, and I don't have to store a set of tires somewhere.

- Or, am I screwed, and force to buy a second set of wheels + tires for winter?. and move down to the P205/55R16?

Any advice is useful. thx,

UPDATE:

Found these all-season tires, first off, which ones do you guys reccomend? I am mostly interested in having good all-season tires. Storage is an issue.

Continental ContiTouringContact CV 95
All Season Grand Touring

Goodyear Eagle RS-A

Goodyear Eagle RS-A (Run-Flat Design )

Pirelli P6 FOUR SEASONS
Front & Rear: 205/50VR17 XL

205/50 17 IS AN ODD SIZE TIRE. NOT TOO MANY OPTIONS THERE.
IF YOU CAN INCREASE THE WIDTH TO 215 AND LOWER THE SPEED RATING TO "H" ON YOUR CAR YOU WILL HAVE MORE OPTIONS. EXAMPLES :

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA G009
FUZION HRI (MADE BY BRIDGESTONE I BELIEVE)
YOKOHAMA AVID T4 (GOOD BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THE OTHER TWO)

I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY CAR, DUE TO 17 INCH HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES. ALL OF THE ABOVE TIRES ARE BETTER IN SNOW THAN THE PIRELLI'S. CHECK "TIRE RACK.COM" FOR MORE INFORMATION.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

goldwing2000 said:
Not to sound like a broken record but I love my Kumho Ecsta ASX.

Okay, I have these as my summer tires on my 18"s and a month ago before I switched over to my winters (KW17), I tried running them in 1.5 inches of snow and they were HORRIBLE. (shrug)

I wouldn't recommend anyone running the ASX in snow.

yeah zoomvt had a dedicated winter set up... and gw had that 4x4 beast if he needs it.. i would think you would be better off with some dedicated snows...

Nobody would be foolish enough to claim that the ASX is better than a dedicated winter tire. That would be ridiculous.

We're just saying that it's light years better than stock RS-As.

i agree with GW2k. obvioulsy a winter stup would work better but only if its a good one. I do have a winter setup but i compromised the quality of snow handling for an H rated winter tire. The result is that i can drive fast in the highway when its dry but the snow handling is not the best but it is definitely better than stock.
If the amount of snow is less than 1.25 inches then i would actually have no problem using my Kumhos. The stocks are horrible in the rain, nevermind snow. My winters are better but not that much better. If i had to do it again i would get better winters. BTW i am running Hankook IceBear 205/55/16.

i have some cooper winter studded snows and they are a beast!!! not like i do much h way in the winter anyways so speed rating didn't matter a whole lot...

Back