Tire chains v. Fabric tire covers

I ended up buying the SCC radical chains (size 1032) from Amazon for $24. They turned out to be reasonably easy to install. Unlike traditional chains that collapse into a pile, the radical chains are structured and roll up like a sheet. I don't think the fabric covers are much easier to install.

Yah the sock didn't seem like it would last more than a few uses. Good call.

does anyone have any experience in using tire chains in the mud? for my road trip this weekend there will be a three mile unpaved dirt road leading to my destination. if it rains or snows, then the road would be muddy. it's a long drive to get there and i want to be prepared.

I would assume they have a benefit due to design alone but if you find yourself in snowy and muddy areas often, you really should have an alternate set of tires. I got my set of 4 for $375 with alloy rims!

i don't go often and i had no idea you can get tires+rims for under $400! where did you get yours?

Perhaps these would be another option for you.

Sno Boots look comparable to the fabric ones you posted, but seem both way better and way more durable.
FTAT7947CustomImage0026340.gif

Snow Claws/Go Claws (only difference is the fastener.... go claws have beefier ones) seem the much more rugged option and work in snow, ice, mud, sand, etc. Also you don't need to move the vehicle to put them on the tires. Cost for one which fits a 205/50/17 is $140.
FTAT7947CustomImage0134997.jpg

Last edited:
They were used of course and I got them on craigslist :) Of course you might want to check in an area where there is more snow and people have sets laying around.

Latest posts

Back