Tinting cause Navigation go "cookoo" ^^

dreamym5

today, i found an interesting info from local tinting shop.

well, my new M5 will be tinted coming friday, and i was calling local shops for price comparison and they "all" asked me if i have "Navi system" on M5?

of course i said "No" and since they all kept asking me, i asked them "why are you guys asking if i have Navi?

they said, apprently, there are 2 different tinting flim one half metalized and the other full metalized. later one is more "lasting" than first one and gives you bit silver "glare" when it is installed. (bit more expensive too)

But full metalized flim will interfere with factory Navi system and will cause it to malfunction, i heard.(gun)

i don't have Navi so i got full metalized film ...(nana)

Hm, surprised the GPS antenna thinger is inside the passenger cabin somewhere.
It's on the left side inside the cowling surrounding the navi lcd. It's picking up a signal through the wndshield, can't see how tinting would affect it, unless of course you're tinting the windshield, currently illegal in all 50 states(cryhard)

Last edited:
Go with ceramic based tint. Will be bit more expensive but it's better performance in UV & heat rejection.
Metallized tint could cause radio reception problems in cars that have embedded antennas in the glass.

I've got a 2008 GT w/Navi with 15% metalized tint all the way around with no problems whatsoever. Bluetooth works, Navi works, and remote start works, no problems. I looked at the ceramic tint (FormulaOne and Huber Optik) and I liked it a lot, just didn't have the darkness I was looking for. I think the tint shops use this as a great upsell opportunity for those people with cars with lots of gadgets :)

Okay guys.. finally done,, front ones 50% and rest of them in 20%, metalized flim.. will post pics next week. (inout)

Back