Tint Questions

I got 5% back, and 35% front (darkest legal here for the front). It's pretty dark inside but no problem during the day. At night, it's harder to see though the back but still okay to me.

Wife says although it seems a bit too dark at the back, but when it's sunny and hot outside it makes a big difference. The car cools down very quickly and you won't get sunburn.

I would suggest people thinking to get 5% to sit in a car with it to see if you'll like it.

I got 5% back, and 35% front (darkest legal here for the front). It's pretty dark inside but no problem during the day. At night, it's harder to see though the back but still okay to me.

Wife says although it seems a bit too dark at the back, but when it's sunny and hot outside it makes a big difference. The car cools down very quickly and you won't get sunburn.

I would suggest people thinking to get 5% to sit in a car with it to see if you'll like it.

Do dealers have samples of different degrees of tint on glass for you to compare? That would be very helpful!

Yeah most tint shops do have some samples on glass plates. The dealers? They just recommend the darkest legally acceptable %.

Actually, I didn't do it at the dealer. I went to the shop directly to cut the middle man. (turned out the dealer has the same shop do it, but charge you $200 more for their trouble).

One thing though, the installer told me that Mazda 5 is the car he hates to do the most, not only it has more windows than a sedan, the gasket on the sliding doors is very hard to work with. I compare it with other cars myself and I kind of agree...

Actually, I didn't do it at the dealer. I went to the shop directly to cut the middle man. (turned out the dealer has the same shop do it, but charge you $200 more for their trouble).

One thing though, the installer told me that Mazda 5 is the car he hates to do the most, not only it has more windows than a sedan, the gasket on the sliding doors is very hard to work with. I compare it with other cars myself and I kind of agree...

I asked the dealer, and they wanted close to $600 to tint my Mazda5 here in Toronto. So I went to Eclipse Tint, guys' name is Justin (very nice guy, loves to talk to you while tinting), and he did very good job for $185. And yes, he says that he hates doing the Mazda 5 because there are so many windows, and a few small windows.

I paid $280 included tax. I knew it's higher before I brought the car over. I still did it there because a few of my friends all went there and they like the quality work. I believe you can get it done for around CDN $200 (I actually got a quote of $190). But for less than $100 difference I chose what I thought I could trust. I mean, that's like a tank of gas only nowadays ;-)

Anyway, love the car, the looks, the practicality, and about everything else.

I paid $200, 55% front, 20% on windshield, limo in rear. The guy who tinted my windows said 55% is legal here in San Francisco so if I get a ticket his butt is paying for it!

I paid $275 at a place in Fredericksburg, VA, called The lab.
www.tintlab.net They kept everything legal and do not touch the front window. (don't think they can legally tint the front window, even a little)

I also had the sun roof tinted. I have had a few cars tinted over the years and this was done very nice.

The stock fish bowl look had to go...

Always funny to see all the differences in the models MAZDAs ships around the globe. I just read in a german forum, that danish models have less airbags. Now I read this thread about tinting the windows.
The german models are eqipped with tinted windows as standard.

i paid 300 for formula one

MILLENNIUM - Metalized/Non-reflective
Leading edge technology makes this series the finest sold anywhere. First developed to protect delicate electronic circuitry in the aerospace industry, the technology behind the Premier series uses a "100% metal alloy process" coupled with a multiple layer construction. It may sound complicated, but it simply gives you the best auto film which can be made with today's technology.

The Millennium Series has lower reflectivity than other all -metal films, resulting in a softer neutral appearance. Millenium's tough multiple layer construction has a medium range heat rejection and because of its exclusive processing, it won't change color.

Paid $165 for 15% llumar film on all windows except the windshield. It was a mobile business and they came to my house. He did a good job too.

A different look at my tint..... (outside pic's), back windows were already done; I had 35% put on the two front windows for $45.00.

Picture212.jpg

Picture205.jpg

Last edited:
I got the rear, back left, and back right of my 626 tinted to 5%, and it only cost me $100. In NJ any tint on the front windows is illegal, so i had to leave it at that :(

I got the rear 7 windows tinted to 20% light transmission on Friday. I left the front 5 and the sunroof alone; the front 5 cannot have any tinting whatsoever in BC. Tinting the sunroof would have been... peculiar.

It was $220 with taxes, a mobile shop came to work and did the tinting here.

after3fe3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking 5 and good looking tint job for a good price.
Do you have any pics from the side or other angles? I'd like to see how your untinted fronts look as they transition in appearance to the dark sliders. I got my fronts and sliders done to 35% and the back portholes and liftgate done at 20% - looks nice but I wish had the sliders darker (20%) to match the porthole windows rather than the fronts...curious how your looks from the side. Thanks.

Tint prices.

Does the car not come with tints already? I have a 2008 UK Sport model and mines came already tinted

Does the car not come with tints already? I have a 2008 UK Sport model and mines came already tinted

Lucky Europeans ;). No, none of the trims in Mexico, US or Canada comes with tinted windows, I think it has to do with the actual car category they fall into here if I'm not mistaken (or just to make it as cheap as possible :D)

Lucky Europeans ;). No, none of the trims in Mexico, US or Canada comes with tinted windows, I think it has to do with the actual car category they fall into here if I'm not mistaken (or just to make it as cheap as possible :D)

Luck Europeans.... as if(uhm)

You guys probably get it mucher less expensive than us.
I paid 18,995 for mine brand new in March.
What's the going rate over there for the same model? A lot less i bet.

And don't even get me started on Gas prices over here - 1.15 per litre...:mad:

I got married in Orlando... and would love to come back and live there(2thumbs)

Luck Europeans.... as if(uhm)

You guys probably get it mucher less expensive than us.
I paid 18,995 for mine brand new in March.
What's the going rate over there for the same model? A lot less i bet.

And don't even get me started on Gas prices over here - 1.15 per litre...:mad:

I got married in Orlando... and would love to come back and live there(2thumbs)

Getting off-topic but I agree. It is not an apples to apples comparison. On one of my trips to the old continent I stopped by at the dealer and found a Mazda5 similar to the Touring here with roof racks, 7th seat and tint for Euro27K!

As per gas, yes, during that time gallon was the equivalent of USD$6 or $7. Now I'm assuming is around $9. No wonder my wife was happy to drive a Nissan Micra while she was living there...

Anyway, come back to Florida :D, is all beautiful down there, except during hurricane season!

Latest posts

Back