Tint Questions

daan

:
06 "5"
How much are people paying for tinting? I want some mild tint, to keep the interior cooler, not to (ricer) WIll I need to do all the windows, or will just doing from the sliders and back be enough? (I live in MN, not Arizona so it's only a couple of months of sun anyway) I had a car with stupid-dark windows when I was a teenager and got pulled over all the time, plus I couldn't see out the back when it was dark out so I wanna avoid that, too. How do you pick a good tint shop, too? I don't want it to all turn purple either. Does tint still do that, or have they fixed that problem?
Thank you

I paid $175 for an average tint job at Zeiberts. I had a standard grade film (non metallic) in 20% for the rear windows and 50% for the front.

$240 for metallic flim...all around...

after seeing the guy doing it.. i am thinking to buy flim and do it myself.. for around $50...(eekdance)

after seeing the guy doing it.. i am thinking to buy flim and do it myself.. for around $50...(eekdance)

I've always thought that myself. It is harder than it looks. I tried doing my Toyota truck and it turned out ok. But lots of dirt and bubbles in it. I'll leave it to the pro's.

I paid $220 for mine. 35% on the fronts and 15% everywhere else.

$200.00 total. Front right/left side 50%, rear/left/right 15%

Tinting is something I wouldn't try myself-one of those things that look easier than it actually is.

I learned some tricks from an installer, but it is still quite difficult to do some cars. They also use heat guns to warm the tint for curved glass.

I will probably let a pro do mine this time.

I got Tint king do my 5. Will not recommend to anybody even if the dealer cost 2x go for the dealer. Tint king (Old Kingston Rd. Scarborough) just cut the rubber moulding in the sliding door touching the glass and now you can hear wind noise from this. Tint king will not cover the cost of the moulding, the dealer could not do anything and if I charge to my insurance $300 deductible. Oh well lesson learned, thats what I get for trying to save a buck. You guys planning to have it tinted by pros other than mazda, make sure you get them to sign an agreement that they will pay/replace any damages to your car.

Did you sign anything saying you couldn't ask them to pay for damages? If not, they must cover the damage.

Trust me, my good friend's a lawyer and we've discussed this in the past. If they don't cover the cost, it's called vandilism.....Depends how far you're willing to go with this....I sure would make them pay.(flame)

I did the tinting myself. My goal was functionality. Not perfection. So far the tint is still ok on our 2006 MZ5. No air bubbles. But the 'amateur' quality is displayed when I roll down the window (tint edges not in a straight line lolz).

Did you sign anything saying you couldn't ask them to pay for damages? If not, they must cover the damage.

Trust me, my good friend's a lawyer and we've discussed this in the past. If they don't cover the cost, it's called vandilism.....Depends how far you're willing to go with this....I sure would make them pay.(flame)

No I did not. But by myself im sure I could not convince him otherwise without losing my temper. And its not worth losing my temper. I dont want to do something that I will regret later. Also cost of the damage id surely less than what it will cost me to escalate this.

Tint related question: I want to put one of those window shades up for my baby in the back seat that uses the suction cups. Could this be harmful to my tinting?

ddd

White GT 08,
I paid 240 CDN
5% all around(except front).
Look nice but a bit too dark for driving, but too late now.

Tint related question: I want to put one of those window shades up for my baby in the back seat that uses the suction cups. Could this be harmful to my tinting?

I would advise against using those suction cup shade things as they can become flying debris in the event of an accident.

I got Tint king do my 5. Will not recommend to anybody even if the dealer cost 2x go for the dealer. Tint king (Old Kingston Rd. Scarborough) just cut the rubber moulding in the sliding door touching the glass and now you can hear wind noise from this. Tint king will not cover the cost of the moulding, the dealer could not do anything and if I charge to my insurance $300 deductible. Oh well lesson learned, thats what I get for trying to save a buck. You guys planning to have it tinted by pros other than mazda, make sure you get them to sign an agreement that they will pay/replace any damages to your car.

Small claims court.

If you're a professional doing professional work in your field, you're expected to use the due diligence and proper care that a reasonable practitioner would use. Since all he's doing is tinting, I don't think he'd be able to use the "I got in over my head" defence.

If they're cutting the moulding to fit the tint for some reason, that's a bucket of fail. That's obvious to even laypersons in the field of tinting.

Now, you'd be looking at about $250 for the filing costs, and you'd get about 1/3 of that back if you won. (Yes, even in Canada, where there's a loser-pay system, you still end up losing a fraction of your court costs.) You would have to get the repair work done first, by the dealer, so you'd have the receipts for "actual" damages.

Realistically, if they (argh) up your car, they should have to fix it. If you claim it on your insurance, you're looking at an increase in your premiums. Come to think of it, call your insurance company - they might pay for the repair then sue the tinting company on your behalf.

IANAL.

I got quoted at $250 for metallic by a place here local, and $220 for film (non-metallic) from another place both for 30% all the way around. As for how to chose one, ask friends that have tint. I've been using the same place since I turned 16, so they are always my first call 16 yrs of driving never had a problem with them. But might end up going with some else this time, because it local, and is recommended by some friends.

Does pricing generally depend on the color (green vs brown vs grey, etc)?

The choice of tint colors or darkness didn't affect the price at the shop I went to. I probably overpaid at 225 for 20% on just the rears (fronts are illegal in CA), but in the SF Bay Area, everything is overpriced.

I just had my M5GT done. I did Madico limo tint (7%) on all windows behind the driver. Did legal tint(25%) for the driver and passenger windows and did a 5" limo tint eyebrow across the top of the windshield. Total cost was $255 and we got the dealer to pay for it as part of the deal.

The dark tint looks great with the Stormy Blue and we already notice a significant reduction in heat in the car with 100+ degree weather. We did consider going HD ceramic tint but it had a blue color color to it that didn't thrill me for an extra $90.

Well I finally got the tinting done, I had everything from the sliders back done (meaning everything except the front 2). OF course it's been raining since I picked it up so I don't have pix yet. I got the ceramic, 25% (or "SUV tint" as they called it), it is definitely darker, but I can still see thru it at night. If it seems too hot up front, I can go back and have my front doors done, if I want to get tickets since those are illegal to do in MN. Anyway thanks for all yall's help!

edit: finally a good pic of Susan.
6-11-08130.jpg

Last edited:
Back