Timing

zerocover

:
00' Protege, lx
Whats a resonable amount of timing for the 1.6l? Ive come up with a way to advance the timing just need to test it now. Its pretty much moving the crank position sensor a bit.

I know we have like 15* stock under load. 5* at idle. Im thinking 5* more should be fine. Anyone have any idea on the kind of power gains that could be had?

The above timing info is only applicable when the cars in limp mode I took the readings when the car had the intake on.

I recently re measured.
10* idle.
30* very light trottle
25* 3/4 trottle
15* Uphill in 2nd gear, also wot

With 30* at light trottle I really dont want to up the timing anymore. I think getting the intake (which makes 4 hp and some 20 ft/lbs) to work right and not put the car in limp mode will be alot more effective.

I might try for 5* its easy. I learned the trick from the 3 guys. Just move the CPS down using an offset spacer, and bolt everything back up. Ill measure and do some calculations for the real numbers over the weekend.

Update our engine spins clockwise. This is a problem.
CKPS.JPG

Other then that all we need to do is move the sensor up to advance the timing For 5* it would be 1/4" for 10* 1/2". Just remember the gap has to be between .5-1.5mm. I havent given up yet though and the bolt above the CKPS seems promissing. We could always just bolt it in upside down and get like 40* advance = boom.

Moving it down very easy, Just go to home depot pick up one of there offset spacers from hardware and bolt it all together, done. That would only retard the timing though, so I guess it could be usefull for our boosting people.

Back