time for tires any recommendations

What a great thread - thanks for all the info everybody! It's also time for me to get my CX-7 some new tires (after only 17K on the stock Turanza P.O.S.'s) and the Nokians look like a great choice. So - for those who have driven with them in snowy/slushy/icy conditions - do they perform better than the stock tires? I'd imagine it would be tough to do worse, but just checking... Thanks! :)

Well I have not experienced the white stuff yet. But I will tell you a no nonsense experience with them. When it comes to wet pavement these tires grip unlike anything I have ever came across period. I love these tires so much I even sent topgear a quick email suggestion for there show ideas regarding tires.

I also came to find out alot of MDX riders out there are getting these and I had a guy roll up to me and tell me hey nice tires and I looked at his he had the same ones on his cayenne s he smiled and the light changed. I never heard of this brand till someone here mentioned & recommended the tires now seeing them on someone else and people on the mdx forums talking about them hey must be somewhat popular tire reputation.

Anyway to answer your question if they perform this great now in rain I have no worries about winter.

I've been through two western Canadian winters with them and they are awesome. I rate the tires as follows:

Dry traction: As good or a touch better than the goodyears that came on the car.

Wet traction: Possibly the best rain tire on the market, really quite unbelievable how they slice through water.

Snow traction: Light years beyond any all-season tire and as good as all but the most expensive winter tires. There are 3 or 4 winter tires out there that might grip the ice a touch better, but considering these are all-season tires they are very impressive.

Well I have not experienced the white stuff yet. But I will tell you a no nonsense experience with them. When it comes to wet pavement these tires grip unlike anything I have ever came across period. I love these tires so much I even sent topgear a quick email suggestion for there show ideas regarding tires.

I also came to find out alot of MDX riders out there are getting these and I had a guy roll up to me and tell me hey nice tires and I looked at his he had the same ones on his cayenne s he smiled and the light changed. I never heard of this brand till someone here mentioned & recommended the tires now seeing them on someone else and people on the mdx forums talking about them hey must be somewhat popular tire reputation.

Anyway to answer your question if they perform this great now in rain I have no worries about winter.

Int3grity, thanks for those pictures! The WR G2 SUV's compliment your ride I am sure.
It is sad when you get excited for winter just because of your tires don't you think?

-Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
nokian sells to many dealers in US, there is no exclusive dealer. Tire factory is one of their larger customers.

FYI for you all best time to buy snows is right when spring starts dealers have inventory they do not want to keep in stock all spring/summer. They want to sell it all and reorder for fall delivery.

Best time to change to winter is when temps get below 45 degrees, not when the first snow arrives, winter tires are made with much more supple rubber compounds which allow them to perform better under cold conditions. Its not just the siping and studs which make them perform. A lot of consumers are unfamilliar with this info so I thought I would share that with you.

See integrity no sales pitch, are you happy now?

nokian sells to many dealers in US, there is no exclusive dealer. Tire factory is one of their larger customers.

FYI for you all best time to buy snows is right when spring starts dealers have inventory they do not want to keep in stock all spring/summer. They want to sell it all and reorder for fall delivery.

Best time to change to winter is when temps get below 45 degrees, not when the first snow arrives, winter tires are made with much more supple rubber compounds which allow them to perform better under cold conditions. Its not just the siping and studs which make them perform. A lot of consumers are unfamilliar with this info so I thought I would share that with you.

See integrity no sales pitch, are you happy now?

Yes, we're happy now. :)

The Nokians we're talking about are all-weather tires not just winters, wasn't sure if you understood that or not.

OK, I've just ordered a set of WR SUVs - NOT G2s - am I making a mistake here? I'm saving over $200 going with the "older" tire but am a bit nervous I'll be missing out on whatever the G2 has to offer. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks.

OK, I've just ordered a set of WR SUVs - NOT G2s - am I making a mistake here? I'm saving over $200 going with the "older" tire but am a bit nervous I'll be missing out on whatever the G2 has to offer. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks.

I have the older version on both my vehicles, they will be fine. I think the improvements on the G2's are mostly in the dry handling, not the wet/snow handling. The G2's are probably a little sportier, but all my advice is based on the originals which are great!!

Tires still look brand new despite already adding alot of miles on them. No visible sign of wear awesome tires. If we get a the new Infinity FX getting a set for it as well.

I wanted to post an update to this thread now that I've gone through a couple of decent snowfalls with these tires. In a word, they are AMAZING! I don't say that lightly. In fact, I've never before been excited about a tire but the Nokians make my CX-7 a much more capable snow-driving vehicle. Especially when compared to the trash OEM tired Mazda chose.

I rarely hear the ABS kick in when coming to a stop on ice and have yet to see the traction control system light come on. The siping truly works and makes the tires feel almost "sticky" on ice. The only thing I can't comment on yet, obviously, is the tread life - but I'll keep this thread updated. What I can say thus far, is that I've truly gotten what I paid for with these tires and thank everyone for their recommendations. They're not cheap, but definitely worth the money!

Pictures from our recent 6" snowfall:

3095840744_81c40af42b.jpg

3095840614_d0ce762a6c.jpg

the Bridgestone Dueler H/T's that I have recently purchased are much much better in the snow than the stock Bridgestones. They are good in the wet too. Though they don't grip quite as well in the dry, you really have to be taking a corner hard to notice.

i can tell you right now almost any goodyear tire will wear out quick, same with continental, look up reviews on some kumho's or yokohama's as ive seen people come through the shop and get a lot of miles on them, without wearing severely. it also depends on your driving habits. Bridgestones would probably be good too.

try this
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

Does anyone else have any experience with these tires? Points of concern are 1) getting some miles out of the tires 2) good traction with the rain. I live in Alabama so snow is not a concern.

bridgestone,bf goodrich, and michelin are tops

It's actually very hard to convince anyone to buy a set of tires with a statement like this. Not trying to be a prick, but I'm looking for some more technical feedback on this subject matter. Would you please explain the above comment with a more technical analysis of your recommendations?

look at all the ratings on objective and subjective tire tests. this is what you will find. research on a google search- you will see.

Nitto NT420s

I just ordered 255/55/18 Nitto NT420s for my CX-7. The factory are completely shot after 31k miles. I have heard good things about the Nitto's and they were only $105 a tire on onlinetires.com

I just ordered 255/55/18 Nitto NT420s for my CX-7. The factory are completely shot after 31k miles. I have heard good things about the Nitto's and they were only $105 a tire on onlinetires.com

Curious to see pics and hear what you have to say about these. I am looking at the exact same ones for when I replace my stockers.

Curious to see pics and hear what you have to say about these. I am looking at the exact same ones for when I replace my stockers.
I have the Nitto tires that you're referring to and they are awesome! I had to replace my stock tires around 25K miles and couldn't be happier with the Nittos. They completely change the look of the CX-7 in my opinion. They are wider and give the car a more masculine, muscular look. The design itself gives the CX-7 a sort of concept car look. The wider tires and aggressive tread pattern improve the handling in dry or wet conditions and they are very good in the snow as well. There is some road noise with these tires but not much more, if any than the stock tires. I've had these tires on for over 20K miles now and they show little if any signs of wear. I highly recommend these tires for their performance and style. They really do give the CX-7 a manlier appearance and less of a soccer mom type crossover.

Nittos

Thanks for the encouragement 06si. Now I really cannot wait for them to come in. My Pedders lowering springs are in transit from Aussie as well. Between the tires and the spings, the CX-7 should have a much more aggressive look and perform night and day from its current setup.

Nitto 420s installed

So I just got the tires in this evening and had a local shop mount and balance them for $85. Total cost invested for the new tires was $592.

First impressions: The tires are amazingly different (better) from the factory. I actually think the ride is smoother and more forgiving however, I have noticed a bit more noise, but not to the point that anyone else would notice.

Grip: WOW!! I didn't know the CX-7 could corner like that. turns are at least 10mph faster than factory tires. I also got to try out the wet weather capabilities on the way home and the Nitto's again, were far superior. I was able to do 4 tire slides in the wet weather with the Bridgestones. That is not going to happen anymore.

Here are some pictures. I can get more if needed.

Attachments

• Nitto_Tires1.jpg
    Nitto_Tires1.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 793
  • Nitto_tires3.jpg
    Nitto_tires3.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:
Back