Time for something new...Researching a 2010 MS3- looking for thoughts

scott42

Contributor
:
Blue MP3 #1169; '06 Subaru B9 Tribeca
Researching a 2010 MS3- looking for others' experience/thoughts

Hey Everyone, its been a while since I've ventured onto the forum, but I find myself ready for a new car to replace the '01 MP3.
After seeing what there is to see out there, the MS3 seems to be the best bang for the buck.
I'm looking for:

• Pricing details on anyone who has recently purchased
    • what prices are folks getting on tech package included units?
    • any rebates/incentives? (given the car and my past experience with Mazda, I'd assume no, but want to confirm)
  • Financing rates?
    • 60 mos primarily; any under 2-3%?
  • Overall enjoyment/satisfaction so far?
Thanks everyone
Scott (way old school)

Last edited:
Scott,

Since I live in Mexico, Im only going to fill you up on the whole experience so far...

Ill start by saying, that generally speaking, its a great car, lots of fun to drive and a very good experience for me so far... Even though I have a little problem right now which Ill tell you about in a few more sentences.

Power is great, and the delivery, depending on the weight of your foot, is (with a little help from your own finesse) pretty much smooth. Brakes are very capable as well, although, be advised, they do suffer a bit of fade when theyre overheating (nothing out of the ordinary really, just thought I should mention it).

The ride is a bit stiff, not really an issue for me because I see it as a price to pay for the sportiness of the car... Having said that, I find that the suspension setup is better than MS3 Gen 1 (I test drove it for a whole weekend so I know...). Cornering is a bit better but most of all, you dont get as much body roll as you did with the MK1.

Interior is, IMO, except for the seats, much better in MK2 (seats in Gen 1 were made with Alcantara, Mazdaspeed logo and a bit better in terms of side bolsters). Although its a very divided subject because many people dont like the red/black cloth in the seats, I, again, dont mind it. Overall, the plastics feel more expensive and look the part. I have the GT version (which has all the options from the Tech package in the US, except for the GPS). Sound system is pretty good too.

No real problems so far, except for a rattle I think in the suspension on the front, drivers side, while going over bumpy roads, but it should come as a warranty job.

Anyways, thats a pretty long post and I tried to do it as short as possible...

Hope it helps!

Thanks El Speed. Much appreciated. I'm very used to the rough ride from my old MP3 :) I think the new MS3 will likely be much smoother to me.

Does anyone think the Canadian version, with add'l colors [white] and HID's (assuming this is the missing GT trim for the states) will make it to the US anytime soon?

Does anyone think the Canadian version, with add'l colors [white] and HID's (assuming this is the missing GT trim for the states) will make it to the US anytime soon?

I have heard rumblings about it but thats about it. I would assume it would just like the gen1 did. If they do that means they will disco the Celestial blue I am sure just like they did with the Cosmic blue on the gen1s.

Scott,

Since I live in Mexico, Im only going to fill you up on the whole experience so far...

Ill start by saying, that generally speaking, its a great car, lots of fun to drive and a very good experience for me so far... Even though I have a little problem right now which Ill tell you about in a few more sentences.

Power is great, and the delivery, depending on the weight of your foot, is (with a little help from your own finesse) pretty much smooth. Brakes are very capable as well, although, be advised, they do suffer a bit of fade when theyre overheating (nothing out of the ordinary really, just thought I should mention it).

The ride is a bit stiff, not really an issue for me because I see it as a price to pay for the sportiness of the car... Having said that, I find that the suspension setup is better than MS3 Gen 1 (I test drove it for a whole weekend so I know...). Cornering is a bit better but most of all, you dont get as much body roll as you did with the MK1.

Interior is, IMO, except for the seats, much better in MK2 (seats in Gen 1 were made with Alcantara, Mazdaspeed logo and a bit better in terms of side bolsters). Although its a very divided subject because many people dont like the red/black cloth in the seats, I, again, dont mind it. Overall, the plastics feel more expensive and look the part. I have the GT version (which has all the options from the Tech package in the US, except for the GPS). Sound system is pretty good too.

No real problems so far, except for a rattle I think in the suspension on the front, drivers side, while going over bumpy roads, but it should come as a warranty job.

Anyways, thats a pretty long post and I tried to do it as short as possible...

Hope it helps!

Yours is the GT model? Do you have LED tails? Heat/automatic seats? HID low beams?

Hey,
Iv had my 10' MS3 for about 5 months now. And i love it. Price wise, it was the best bang for you buck as you said. I looked at a WRX and a Rallyart, but decided to take the MS3 because the interior quality is far superior. The dealer ship made me a great trade in on my old MSP, and there was a 1000 buy it now thing going on when i got it. I could give you tyhe price i paid, but its in canadain, and prolly would mean much to you.

The car is great, power / comfort / quiet / and economical (For a Turbo 263 HP car)

In canada we dont have different packages, the car comes with everything possible. LED tails, HIDs, NAV, Ipod all that crap. Its all very good, but to be honest. The NAV is not very accurate, and has a hard time finding places. I heard there is going to be a new chip that should improve all that. Everything else is worth it.

i think you should just test drive it, and you will see for your self.

Yours is the GT model? Do you have LED tails? Heat/automatic seats? HID low beams?

According to Mexico, yes... Although not the same options...

Ive got the Bose sound system, trip computer, HID's (low and high's) manually adjustable (not the adaptive I think the MPS [UK spec] has), LED taillights. No GPS, iPod interface (just AUX, so I cant complain thaaaat much!) or heat/auto seats for the Mexcian models... At least so far!

In canada we dont have different packages, the car comes with everything possible...

i think you should just test drive it, and you will see for your self.

Like Canada, Mexico only has 1 model for the MS3 and comes with everything**, and like special--k said, just drive it, youll love it so much, youll end up smiling more than the car!!! (even though I dont really find it odd at all, I love it as it is... just look at my Avatar!! It looks great! (nana))

Good luck!

Last edited:
I love the car. if you get it you will not be having any regrets. it goes when u step on it and can get decent MPG's when your not rompin on it. it handles well and is what i want out of a sporty car. my only complaint was i wish it was a little smaller. i would have preferred a 2 door hatch but there really isn't anything out with decent power, but that extra space isn't to bad.

I love the car. if you get it you will not be having any regrets. it goes when u step on it and can get decent MPG's when your not rompin on it. it handles well and is what i want out of a sporty car. my only complaint was i wish it was a little smaller. i would have preferred a 2 door hatch but there really isn't anything out with decent power, but that extra space isn't to bad.

You could have waited for the Mazda2 and slap a turbo on it. :) One thing I could say is I wish they would have put better stock tires on it. No issues though I will be getting some Toyos soon for it. I have owned both gen 1 & 2 MS3s and love both for the $$ spent. Point blank, It's A Bad Ass Car!

I Love Mine. I'm a rotary guy at heart. But I have a 3rd gen 7. So I was
looking to get something new. I was looking at the Rx8 and Speed 3.
The Speed 3 did better the 8 in most comparisons. So since I already
had a rotary vehicle. And the Speed 3 seemed like the best buy. I bought
the Speed 3.

I since was at a rotary meet with the Speed 3. And was able to get a
chance to run with a turbo Rx8. I was able to pull away by 6 or so
car lengths. This surprised me. Good well built car for the money.
You can't go wrong!

Back