Time for new Tires - what to get?

solomr2

I'm getting close to needing new tires on the front. The ones on the back still have over 50% tread, so I'm thinking I may just rotate the back to front and put new tires on the back for now. Being in S. Fla I'm only looking for summer tires.

So, what are people using besides the OEM Dunlops? I personally dislike the Dunlops so I'm looking for other tires. I've used Kumhos ECSTA Supras as street tires on my MR2-T and I'm leaning towards the same for my Pro-5. I see Tire Rack has them for $64 each.

Any others I should consider? What about different sizes with OEM wheels?

i have 205-50-16 perrelli (spelling) pzero's ... they are great tires and have lasted me a long time ... allso i live in southern CA so i only use summer tires as well
my 2cents

haaswyk said:
i have 205-50-16 perrelli (spelling) pzero's ... they are great tires and have lasted me a long time ... allso i live in southern CA so i only use summer tires as well
my 2cents

Which model Pirelli? Tire Rack lists 3 models in that size - PZero Nero ZR ($119), PZero Rosso Asimmetrico YR ($88 on special), PZero System Asimmetrico WR ($92 on special).

They also list Avon Tech M500 WR for $87. The reviews are pretty good on this new tire. Any thoughts on these?

Look into the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. They are reasonably priced and perform very well. IIRC, I paid about about $281 for a set of four, shipped, from Tire Rack. They're superior in almost every way to the stocker Dunlops.

Has anyone heard of Fuzion ZRi? They are available in 205/45-16 for $72, with a 320 treadwear rating, WR speed rating, and very good reviews.

How long have your stock tires lasted anyways?
The reason I ask is that I have my car for 2 years and I can feel that my tires don't grip much anymore.

Yokohama 205-50-16's get my vote. They are awesome in the FL rain. Never lose traction with these tires. 11K miles on them, still look and ride like new. People also have gotten these tires as 205-45-16's with success as well. Rain or dry road conditions, and even in mud, I have never had a problem with these tires. Got them from tires.com. Good people there.

My choice:

205-45-16

1.- Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 = $143 (if you are serious about street performance) summer
mi_pilot_exalto_pe2_ci2_l.jpg

2.- Yokohama Parada Spec-2 = $80 (best performance-value) summer
yo_parada_spec2_ci2_l.jpg

3.- Pirelli PZero Nero = $84 (best all season performance and value) all season
pi_p_zero_nero_ci2_l.jpg

Hope this helps.

I just got my car, so it still has the tires that came on it, but I run Falken Ziex's on my MR2 and love them, Does anyone here run these on their P5?

I love my Yokohamas. Great wet and dry grip. Plus, going up to a 205 series fills the wheel well better and are more readily available. The 205 adds 0.4" in width and height and only throws off the speedo by 1 mph.

Good luck,

Just went with a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S 205/50R16s on Saturday for the wife's P5 and they handle and grip a lot better than the stock Dunlops, but almost anything has to.:mad:

Greg S said:
Just went with a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S 205/50R16s on Saturday for the wife's P5 and they handle and grip a lot better than the stock Dunlops, but almost anything has to.:mad:

i have the nero's i got them onsale for about 300 installed ... damn happy with them for everyday driving...

how to determine the size of tires on P5? 195/50/16 seems not easy to find. learnt somewhere in the forum that we should go with 205/50/16, since it won't throw off the mileage like 205/45/16. is it true?

when you make your tires a lower profile without having a bigger rim, it makes the overrall diameter of the tire and rim smaller throwing off your milage and speed-o-meter. you can make the tire wider to give you a bigger footprint without changing the diameter and it shouldn't affect milage. so if you move from a 195/50/16 to a 205/50/16 your only making the tire wider and not affecting the diameter. so your statement is true.

i'm getting the Yokohama Parada Spec-2 = $80 (best performance-value) summer tires when my second pair of OEM's go. The 205's will look better on my 7 inch rims and i will probably get 50 series. 17k more miles on my dunlops....my snow tires are going on soon.

so if you move from a 195/50/16 to a 205/50/16 your only making the tire wider and not affecting the diameter. so your statement is true.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
You are affecting the diameter by switching to 205's since 50 is a percentage of the width. It won't affect it by much however.

I have Hankook Ventus K104 205-45-16 for summer and Hankook Icebear W300 205-50-16 for snow. I am very happy with both of these tires. The summer tires hold the road a lot better than the stock Dunlops and wet traction is excellent as well. The stock tires were almost useless to me in the snow.

Back