Time for new struts - recommendations?

BondoBob

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3 - Blue
The MP3 is showing 76k on the odo and just like our forums is "still zoomin' 5 years" later.

I want/need to replace the MP3's factory Tokico Blues and the question I put to the room is: Shall I put the same thing on again or something else? I liked the performance of the Tokicos when they were fresh and haven't found a Koni or Bilstein replacement (my usual favs) for the car.

Thanks.

Bob

Last edited:
There aren't many options for the Protege, you can go with new HP's or upgrade to the Illiumina's. Other options are coilovers by Tein, Ksport.

Personally I would go with the Illumina's since they are adjustable.

I say stick with the same. Mazda and Racing Beat had engineers design the best possible suspension for the car. Why do some people want to upgrade something that proffessionals spent alot of time on testing to get the best combo. I know alot about cars, but i trust they picked the right stuff.

JoeManNorth said:
I say stick with the same. Mazda and Racing Beat had engineers design the best possible suspension for the car. Why do some people want to upgrade something that proffessionals spent alot of time on testing to get the best combo. I know alot about cars, but i trust they picked the right stuff.

Haha are you serious. Wow. Maybe you don't know alot about cars. The stock suspension is not all that. There is no perfect suspension from factory. Everything can be improved unless you get a car that is 100k and up. Do you know bad they cut cost. The original racing beat suspension also had the right location for that bar but Mazda was too cheap and put the bushings in the same place as the regular Pro rather then doing it the right way and never have clunk. You should do some research first. I am not trying to sound like an ass, just trying to correct your statement.

Black_Protege_5 said:
Haha are you serious. Wow. Maybe you don't know alot about cars. The stock suspension is not all that. There is no perfect suspension from factory. Everything can be improved unless you get a car that is 100k and up. Do you know bad they cut cost. The original racing beat suspension also had the right location for that bar but Mazda was too cheap and put the bushings in the same place as the regular Pro rather then doing it the right way and never have clunk. You should do some research first. I am not trying to sound like an ass, just trying to correct your statement.

Right, there are things like the sway bar bushings, the hole front knuckle, the A arms etc.. but when it comes to shocks, something they did change and spent some money on i find it's hard to improve on that. Sure you can get adjustable suspentions and s*** but it doesnt mean you know what you're doing. You could rebuild the hole car... but it's not what everyone wants to do.

And don't worry dude, I know my cars.

Even then. The Tokico blues are just slightly better then the stock P5 ones. If you want to upgrade go with something better. If not then just stay with the blues. I am not saying they are horrible just that there is better.

But of course better = more money :)

Black_Protege_5 said:
Even then. The Tokico blues are just slightly better then the stock P5 ones. If you want to upgrade go with something better. If not then just stay with the blues. I am not saying they are horrible just that there is better.

But of course better = more money :)

What the hell are you talking about? of course they are better then P5's. We are talking about the MP3. It has upgraded shocks, springs and sway bars. Anyways... maybe you guys should read a book or even just read the original post.

Black_Protege_5 said:
Even then the factory mp3 kit wasn't even that good.

car and driver did an article in 03
I think it was the top 10 best handling cars under 70k

mp3 was like #3 or 4

not that good?

ghetto waggon said:
car and driver did an article in 03
I think it was the top 10 best handling cars under 70k

mp3 was like #3 or 4

not that good?

it was road and track and it came in dead last overall. but, when they did the test, all of the editors wanted the mp3 to be included because it was rediculously cheap and handled exceptionally well. i believe the best it did was 2nd in the slalom, right behind a 911. everyone had the same criticism for the car, they wanted more power but agreed that it could hang with the rest...in the twisties.

Brian MP5T said:
You Are RETARDED if you believe that..

And you are an ASS to most ppl. :) Everyone has there own opinions. I have driven one and can say that it isn't all that well for me. Everyone has their own driving style. It still had too much body lean for me and on super tight turns the tires would squeal a lot. More that my P5 on similar turns. So kiss my (butt) (boom08)

my p5 isn't stock though. but not far off from the mp3 suspension. I just don't have the front swaybar but I have the illiminas, H&R springs, cp racing strutbar, gtspec rear strut bar, racingbeat rear swaybar and AWR trailing arms. In no way I am saying it is bad. But it is not the best.

And there is no way the mp3 got 3rd or 4th for cars under 70k. I can think of 6 off the top of my head that would leave it behind.

And the MP3 I drove was completely stock.

Back