Those PITA headlight bulbs

dolfinwriter

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Ok, I've had my 2002 Protege 5 since we bought it new, and I've accepted that the headlight bulbs just go bad often, but I'm sick and tired of changing those bulbs every six months or so! I have rarely seen such a piss poor design, and you almost have to think they did it on purpose!

I feel only slightly better knowing it is a common enough problem after reading the many posts asking how and explaining how to change them. I have to make sure I have a fully stocked supply of swear words every time I take on that task!

I've been searching all night for some kind of conversion or modification, and I find it hard to believe some ingenious person smarter than me or who just has more time than I have, or some company that could probably make a killing off of such a thing, has not devised some kind of conversion kit or modification to replace those PITA clips with a better design that would make the bulbs easier to replace. At this point, even if I had to replace the entire headlight assembly, I would gladly do it to avoid F%$#ing with those clips again!

Does anyone know if there is such a thing or have any suggestions?

Thanks, and best regards!

What they said!! My car went through two sets of normal Silverstars and one set of Osram Silverstars before I bought my HID's.

Are they street legal?

Sounds like it's unanimous to go for HIDs.

One of the vendor's sites listed though, says that HID upgrade kits aren't legal for street use--only for track or show.

Is this one of those Shhhh!!! Don't tell anyone! things? Or should they specify that the 35W units are for street use, and the 55W units are only for track or show?

[Edit]
And do I need the projectors described in this "How-to" thread?

That thread started five years ago, so maybe the HID kits now have the correct components in them?

...and now there are kits with LEDs also?

Again, I appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Officially they are not legal, but if you pay attention you can see how many people are running HID in their reflector housing. So as long as you give respect to cops they probably won't bother with you.

HID is more complicated than halogen, so the defective rate is higher. I've gotten two defective bulbs. :( But once everything is set up you probably don't have to worry about it for the rest of the car's life. Plus it is 3 times brighter and white light.

Projectors are a lot of money and work, but it will be the best set-up. They give you really nice cutoff and it is just perfect for HID. But they are just out of my budget lol.

Don't bother with those saying LED headlight. It is not possible on P5, probably ever.

Back