This Time I Actually Drove It Home (New MS3)

SeanMSIII

Alright, I finally picked it up. Nice and shiny and new. Pix to follow tomorrow. No problems at the dealership. The F&I guy was a motorcyle-riding MS6/DSM (450 hp) guy from SoCal. We talked for awhile about whether or not to use synthetic oil, wives who like/dislike motorcylces, and the potential MS3 aftermarket. Then he made one pitch for a service program which I rejected. I handed over checks and we were done.

First impression while heading home was that the acceleration is less visceral than the MS6. (Sorry, I can't help but make this an MS6/3 comparo, since I've been driving the 6 for 10 months now.) This makes no sense since the MS3 has a lower lbs/hp ratio. It must be the AWD or something. Or maybe with the extra weight it's just more of a production to get the MS6 going. I don't know. Of course, since it's brand new, I really only goosed it once or twice (had to pass truck to get to the entrance of Starbucks) and it did scoot right along. The acceleration is just somehow stealthier and I found myself going much faster than I thought I was going. Clutch is not a problem, maybe just a touch high. Torque steer is far from a problem, more like a fun little quirk than cause for concern. The steering feel seems heavier than in the MS6. Maybe the heavier steering feel is designed to reduce the sense of torque steer? Anyway, after 20 or so miles I'm used to it already. Road noise is a little higher than the MS6 also, but not bad. Engine/turbo sounds are much more prevalent than in the MS6. I think they are just about right for me. More noise would be annoying, especially on the highway. Around town it's nice and rumbly, let's you and others know you're driving a sports cars even though it happens to have 5 doors. This is a little bit of a dillemma for me b/c I want more power and acceleration. But if 30 more hp from intake/exhaust mods comes at the cost of much more noise, I don't know if I want it. I'll wait and see what other people's experiences are with the noise levels generated by intake/exhaust mods.

Interior is good IMO. Exact same level of fit and finish as the MS6. Little less room in back, but that just makes the kids easier to reach when meting out rewards/punishment or helping them out with this or that. Of course, I always pull off to the side of the road b/f doing anything that will take my attention off the road, such as talking on the phone, drinking, eating, etc. Unh, huh. Took out the rear compartment cover to get a little more sense of space back there. Stereo is better than I thought it was. I suppose it might not sound that great at high volume, but I hardly ever play it loud anyway. I like the gauges and the fact that they have marks at 5 mph intervals. The MS6 omits these for some stupid reason and I never got used to trying to tell if I was exactly 1/2 way between the 10 mph marks when trying to stay just under the unofficial speed limit in a 25/35/45/55/65/75 mph zone.

Handling is very good. As I noted in another thread, it is much more confidence inspriring for me, at least, than the MS6. Losing 400 lbs. and the shorter wheelbase make it much more flickable. I think it slides easier, though I have only 2-3 high speed corners under my belt in this short time. The MS6 seemed like it was on rails going round a corner at high speed. It hardly ever broke traction, but I was always worried that it would and do so suddenly. Again, it's too early to say, and I could just be channeling the SCC review, but my impression is that this car is more predictable. It feels like I will be able to tell when it's nearing the edge of its ability to hold the road. After break-in I'll have to take it out to a certain well-known twisty road and see how it does. I also have some good twisties in my daily drive but there's usually too much traffic for pushing the limits.

I am very happy with my new car and about my decision to switch from the MS6. For me, this will be a much more involved and fun car to drive. I'm also looking forward to autocrossing it. My autocross experience in the MS6 was a blast, but I think with better course visibility, lighter weight, and shorter wheelbase I'll be able to go faster easier in the MS3. As for the "younger" image of the MS3 which MS6 owners like to talk about, I'm not driving a car to make me look older or younger, I'm driving it to do what I need to do and have fun doing it. The MS3 does that better for me. Amen.

Last edited:
YOU FUCKER! If my pro wasn't so closed to being paif for I would go get one. Do I read right, you have a SPEED6 and the MS3? If so I offically hate you!

Congratulations. In 65 more days, I will be saying the same, at least the drove it home part, about my new NA 3. At least I get to wait it out in the land of thighs, er smiles...

In the meantime, I second the motion for pics!

Glad to see another review by a family man. Might as well have fun being practical right?

.. Pics! Pics pics pics pics NOW!

And y'know, when I'm done with my MSP in a few years, the MS3 sounds like it might be a very good option.

Though does anyone have any idea how long Mazda plans to be producing the 'new' generation Mazdaspeeds? As in, how long will they be making MS6's and MS3's and so on? I guess I never thought about it before.

The AGONY!!! I have to wait 11 more days for my MS3 to arrive. Hearing about others already having theirs just makes it painful to wait.

Rush said:
.. Pics! Pics pics pics pics NOW!

And y'know, when I'm done with my MSP in a few years, the MS3 sounds like it might be a very good option.

Though does anyone have any idea how long Mazda plans to be producing the 'new' generation Mazdaspeeds? As in, how long will they be making MS6's and MS3's and so on? I guess I never thought about it before.
My guess is the MS6 will be 2006-2007 and the MS3 might be 2007-2008 if we get lucky. The next logical choice is the MSRX-8 though is some ways a new MSMX-5 might be more likely, to do battle with the higher end solstice and sky.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sooooo jealous right now. My and my lil old slow P5. Are you keeping the MS6? or selling it?

Hughes412 said:
YOU FUCKER! If my pro wasn't so closed to being paif for I would go get one. Do I read right, you have a SPEED6 and the MS3? If so I offically hate you!

Yeah, baby, 1st in the ATX, I think. The 6 will be gone as soon as I get the *%^% title. A major PITA to get it off the MAC lease so I could sell it. WARNING TO THOSE CONSIDERING A MAC LEASE: unlike most leases, MAC leases can only be paid off by the selling dealer. 3rd parties, including other dealers cannot pay them off. You must buy it out yourself. This is especially oppressive b/c it means that on top of the lease buyout fees you will have to pay sales tax and license/registration fees you don't ordinarily have to pay when selling to a dealer. This will completely eat up the lease incentive you got for going with a MAC lease! I'm still pissed. Actually, you should pity me b/c I wanted the MS3 bad enough to take a bath on the MS6. Alright, I got the 6 on S-Plan, but I'm still taking a bath. What an idiot! (But a happy one.)

yes, the ms3 is more darty than the ms6 because it's lighter and doesn't have that AWD bulls*** to push

but the ms6 does feel more composed even though it understeers more, the weight of the AWD gear in the back helps balance out the car a little, but really the ms6 will be damn good once the suspension is retuned and someone does something about programming the haldex differential

SeanMSIII said:
Yeah, baby, 1st in the ATX, I think. The 6 will be gone as soon as I get the *%^% title. A major PITA to get it off the MAC lease so I could sell it. WARNING TO THOSE CONSIDERING A MAC LEASE: unlike most leases, MAC leases can only be paid off by the selling dealer. 3rd parties, including other dealers cannot pay them off. You must buy it out yourself. This is especially oppressive b/c it means that on top of the lease buyout fees you will have to pay sales tax and license/registration fees you don't ordinarily have to pay when selling to a dealer. This will completely eat up the lease incentive you got for going with a MAC lease! I'm still pissed. Actually, you should pity me b/c I wanted the MS3 bad enough to take a bath on the MS6. Alright, I got the 6 on S-Plan, but I'm still taking a bath. What an idiot! (But a happy one.)
Your in Austin? If so lets meet up so I can look at it, mybe even go for a ride!!!!

Lucky mofo.
Congrats.
Hard to tell from your pics but I am glad I picked black, I think. Now if I could just get the car.

Okay, here some exterior shots. I'll post some of the interior later.

DSC01092.jpg

DSC01093.jpg

DSC01094.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01096.jpg

DSC01097.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

ugh.... stupid photobucket... I have to go home to see the pictures because of the firewall here (pissed)

ugh.... Ill comment on the car later

Nice!

I'm glad I didn't get blue, though. It's a really faded sort of blue, and it looks cool in its own right...

I really wish they come in a bright blue.

Back