This is official. My turbo is gone!!Need help install GT28rs

ca_deal1

:
2003.5 MSP
Well after spend close to $200 at tirpoint, they gave me the ansower that I dont want to hear. "its the turbo." The turbo is working, but leaking oil. Nick said he could rebuild it, but its like close to $550(with the T28 upgrade). So I think I will just get a T28rs.

Now has anyone installed a GT28rs on MSP yet? I really need some help with installation. I have never done one before.

If I re-use the T25 actuator, do I need to mod anything?
Also, other than the coolant line, and actuator, is there anything else I need to mod?

I saw a lot of posts, but didnt seem to find a "great" answer.

i would do the upgrade. fasterspool, no lag, and for s**** and giggle, a phat sound to go along with it. bigger turbo is gonna lag and will take you a while to build boost for, and you won't really maxmize it's efficiency or capabilities

benzete said:
i would do the upgrade. fasterspool, no lag, and for s**** and giggle, a phat sound to go along with it. bigger turbo is gonna lag and will take you a while to build boost for, and you won't really maxmize it's efficiency or capabilities

Well, the way I see it. I will need a T28rs someday, so it might as well be now.

You already have a FMIC and supporting mods, might as well make the jump to a disco potato.

A GT28RS, isn't going to spool significantly slower than a T25, 200-300 rpms later maybe

Wouldn't a GT28rs that spools later be more advantageous than a T25 rebuild with a T28 compressor wheel? In FWD car like the MSP, would you want T28 boost that spools as soon as a T25? It might be better for there to be a little lag so the car gets rolling before full boost sets in.

Any thoughts? I haven't done the upgrade, but this is my hypothesis.

the 28rs should bolt right up, but your going to need to use a slimline fan on he drivers side iirc

At 7psi on my GT28RS, i still can't go full throttle in first, or i just break the tires loose. So either way, i don't think faster spool is a big issue

tekkie said:
the 28rs should bolt right up, but your going to need to use a slimline fan on he drivers side iirc
\

a diff wategate actuator and rerouting some cooling lines.

You';re not going to see a huge difference between the 2 turbos. Bottom line. The GT28RS costs a bit more than an upgrade/rebuild, but its better technology, and has more ability for higher boost if you're planning on upgrading in the future

benzete said:

Much faster spool up and 328whp @15psi. Plus 338 torque to the wheels. I have yet to see someone top that at the same boost level.

Jeph said:
You';re not going to see a huge difference between the 2 turbos. Bottom line. The GT28RS costs a bit more than an upgrade/rebuild, but its better technology, and has more ability for higher boost if you're planning on upgrading in the future

We ran Deans to 24psi. How come the so called better technology does not make the same power at the same boost?

Latest posts

Back