Thinking of buying a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring... but scared of bad comments

You can't beat a Toyota if longevity is your goal. Stay away from the cx-5, it would be scary for you to actually enjoy point a to point b driving if you're not used to it.

Also if you care about resale value then stay with Toyota, people buy them because is a "Toyota" they actually cost a little more to purchase though. but there is no way RAV4 can hug the corners and have the same level of steering and brake feedback like CX5. again I think only 25% of buyer these days care about that "driving" part.

You'll always see bad comments on forums as generally ppl don't go there to say how great their cars are. I've had my 2014 GT tech for almost a month now and overall I think I made the right decision despite some minor issues. Driver side mirror shake on the highway, crazy bad ipod integration, so-so at best navi, and now a low tire pressure warning that I can't clear and the lowest tire was 1.5PSI low probably due to recent morning temps in the 40s. So there are some annoyances that you probably wouldn't have with a Honda. The flip side is that the car has a great chassis, brakes, powertrain and steering feel that are unmatched in the class IMO. So I'd say if you're willing to deal with some minor stuff and value driving enjoyment/feedback you'll not go wrong. If you want a bulletproof transportation appliance with absolute minimum number of issues- CRV is the benchmark IMO- RAV4 might be a co-benchmark but its so ugly now that I basically choose to no longer acknowledge it:)

Last edited:
Hi All!

Well we just got home from dealership... I test drove the CX-5 GT. Must say, this car is beautiful inside and out. Even my husband loved it... he hated both the Rav4 and the CR-V... LOL. Pictures does it no justice! I test drove it for a good distance and I must say that the power is really good. I did not feel like it lacked any. I actually enjoyed driving this car A LOT. I am still going to do more research on it but after seeing it and driving it, I am highly considering on getting it. I think my only problem st the end will be choosing the color! Love both the silver and dark gray... Thanks all for your comments!!!!

I don't know which dealership you went to...Just bought mine in July from Jeff Haas. I would go over to them before you buy. I have a friend who was the regional VP for Mazda. When i asked him where to go, he said Jeff Haas. They were at least 700 dollars ahead of the next closest (Clear Lake). I've bought 3 cars from them now. Customer Service is easily the best out of the 3 i have gone to (Clear Lake and Deeter are the other 2).

Good luck and I hope you enjoy whichever car you end up buying!!

So fwiw it's actually not a tpms warning its a maintenance check reminder that I set up monthly, but it doesn't display check/confirm, it says to increase pressure which I (stupidly) mistook for an actual low pressure warning and it displays starting 15 days before the one month mark so I thought it wouldn't be that. Not terribly intuitive there Mazda but I'm learning, also learning how this engine likes to be driven...like a diesel. It pulls amazingly well at very low rpm and seems to like to bog much more than scream. But it's more than willing to pick it up when you ask it. Very capable, very flexible, always enjoyable.

I've had a few other cars that were only a year into their launch and they all had bugs, apart from my Daihatsu Sirion. So I think Mazda have done well especially as its a completly new design, engine, transmission etc. .

This is what most people keep forgetting. When I bought the 2013 I knew there was a huge risk of buying a completely new car but I like the fact that I was paying for something that was brand new. Unlike other car companies that like to sell you a 10 year old car for the price of the new car.

Yeah, and I mentioned this before delivery, they said they checked and found nothing and didn't see the bulletin (clearly BS- they didn't want to deal with it.) So I told them I'd live with it until service #1 where they agreed there was a TSB on it and would take care of it. They're not around the corner is why I just decided to wait on that and a couple other minor issues. Rattle coming from or around base of A pillar over sharp bumps, hands free and voice commands don't work at all but my old dumb phone doesn't show up as a supported device yet it seemed to pair fine and BT works if you make and answer calls via the phone itself.

Sylvia, good choice.... Before buying our CX-5, we drove the Escape, CR-V, RAV4 and Forester extensively, several times each. The RAV4 was surprisingly nice, but the main thing that kept me from buying it was the lack of leather seat availability. I didn't want to pony up for the top line model and get vinyl seats. Ok, ok - 'Softex' - naugahyde by another name ;) We do plenty of highway trips with 3 plus gear for a week-end in the car, and I have zero issues with the power and love the gas mileage and 'light on it's feet' feeling of the CX-5.

Dan D

Sylvia, good choice.... Before buying our CX-5, we drove the Escape, CR-V, RAV4 and Forester extensively, several times each. The RAV4 was surprisingly nice, but the main thing that kept me from buying it was the lack of leather seat availability. I didn't want to pony up for the top line model and get vinyl seats. Ok, ok - 'Softex' - naugahyde by another name ;) We do plenty of highway trips with 3 plus gear for a week-end in the car, and I have zero issues with the power and love the gas mileage and 'light on it's feet' feeling of the CX-5.

Dan D

Thanks, Dan... True about Rav4.... Although I could over look that. The one complaint that everyone has about the Rav4 is the placement of the nav screen. It seems that it has bad glare problems during the day and its almost impossible to see. It sounds like they have somewhat fixed the problem but not all the way. I know I will get so annoyed... I'll feel like I paid for something I can't even use.

Still keeping my options open... But keep on coming back to cx-5...

Sylvia, I've had no issues with the CX-5 screen, it's very visible. I don't have nav but don't think it would be any different.

Dan D

Update on new CX5 that spent the first week and a half of its life in the nursery at the dealer: Bad brain! Mazda decided ECM must be corrupt, change it. So far all seems fine with new medulla oblongata. Dealer is Ray Skillman in Indy. These dudes broke their necks to make us happy. I've never seen a more attentive dealership, specifically the dealership manager, Vince. Jury is still out on the long term viability of this vehicle. Time will tell. Wife loves it though.

I have the MAZDA 2014 CX5 GRAND TOURING.
I love the way it rides. I'm pretty heavy on the pedal and this thing responds, although i will say that i get nowhere near the advertised MPG.
I get 22.0 in the city and 27 on the highway.
The IPOD integration is complete crap. I basically listen to Sirius or CD's. The speakers are crap also.
The CX5 looks great, drives great but if you're a techie, i'd stay away because the on-board electronics will drive you insane.

although i will say that i get nowhere near the advertised MPG.

Odd that you say that.. your car is rated at 32MPG highway..
27MPG is just 15% lower than 32, I would say that's fairly close, especially when you take into account the 2-3% MPG hit form ethanol in gas and your fairly heavy foot.
You just have to ease off the accelerator by 15% and you'll be getting the "advertised" mpg.

I basically listen to Sirius or CD's. The speakers are crap also.

Sound is largely a matter of personal taste, but I just want to add a few pointers: the sound quality of satellite radio is abysmal to begin with, so I would recommend against judging any audio equipment based on what you hear with satellite radio. You didn't mention if you have the tech package or not. Many people have noted that the Bose system in the tech package is superior to the basic speakers. If you do have the tech package, when listening to CD's try turning off the "centerpoint" feature if it is still on -- I find the sound quality is much better with this feature disabled.

I have the MAZDA 2014 CX5 GRAND TOURING.
I love the way it rides. I'm pretty heavy on the pedal and this thing responds, although i will say that i get nowhere near the advertised MPG.
The IPOD integration is complete crap. I basically listen to Sirius or CD's. The speakers are crap also.
The CX5 looks great, drives great but if you're a techie, i'd stay away because the on-board electronics will drive you insane.

Highway MPG depends a lot on how fast you drive. It's a boxy shape so air resistance has a notable effect. Here in central TX we have a highway that has an 85 mph speed limit so the other week I drove 90 on it, and the instant MPG monitor was reading 24-25 mpg. Slow down to 70 and that climbs considerably.

Here's an article about how complicated it is to get to those MPG ratings: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates

Back