The Subaru Outback Wins

gettinlm

:
CX-5
About two months ago, I was so certain that I would buy a GT Mazda CX-5. Now, I've done a complete 180[SUP]o[/SUP] and think I've finally decided to get a Subaru Outback. The Outback isn't as flashy or fun to look at as a CX-5, but it oozes with practicality. Comes with more space, constant 4-wheel drive, and the real kicker for me, a choice of a more powerful (6-cylinder) engine. It'll cost a few more bucks, but I think it is the right choice for me. Am I crazy?

You can hardly call Outback compact, so it's not a fair comparison
I tested Forester and CVT was causing so much engine noise that it was not an option, hopefully Outback is not that loud

I was initially scared of the CVT as well, but I didn't even notice it when I drove it. It's my understanding that Subaru has one of the better CVTs in the business and builds in artificial gear shifts to help the drive adapt to it.

Sold my 2013 OB!

About two months ago, I was so certain that I would buy a GT Mazda CX-5. Now, I've done a complete 180[SUP]o[/SUP] and think I've finally decided to get a Subaru Outback. The Outback isn't as flashy or fun to look at as a CX-5, but it oozes with practicality. Comes with more space, constant 4-wheel drive, and the real kicker for me, a choice of a more powerful (6-cylinder) engine. It'll cost a few more bucks, but I think it is the right choice for me. Am I crazy?

Sold my 2013 OB, and bought the CX-5. As said...CVTs are a bad choice IMHO!
Hated that CVT Drone!
Good Luck with your purchase though..Different strokes and the OB is a good Vehicle!

No, you are not crazy.
The outback is very practical vehicle. I really wanted to like this vehicle too, but, for me, driving it with the 2.5L felt non-responsive and heavy and the 3.6 is not fuel efficient and is more expensive. Also, I actually like the 2009 MY better, except that it has 4AT and bad fuel economy. Some reviews said that the 3.6 + CVT does not feel that much different, so you are better off getting the 2.5L to save $$$.
Maybe one day Subaru will bring to the US a real wagon, without jacking it up and adding 200lb to it. Hopefully their 2.5L is now free of excessive oil-consumption.

I was close to buying a '14 Forester XT before ultimately choosing the CX-5.

It was my understanding as well that Subaru has the best CVTs in the business (with Nissan being the worst) and has been using them in their cars for quite a while. I think the Outback is a great car - if you like it, go for it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I liked the Forester as well, just wish it had the plush interior of the Outback. Once they upgrade the Forester with a nicer interior and quieter drive, it will jump toward the front of its class. The visibility of the Forester is incredible. It was like sitting in the pope mobile!

No, you are not crazy.
The outback is very practical vehicle. I really wanted to like this vehicle too, but, for me, driving it with the 2.5L felt non-responsive and heavy and the 3.6 is not fuel efficient and is more expensive. Also, I actually like the 2009 MY better, except that it has 4AT and bad fuel economy. Some reviews said that the 3.6 + CVT does not feel that much different, so you are better off getting the 2.5L to save $$$.
Maybe one day Subaru will bring to the US a real wagon, without jacking it up and adding 200lb to it. Hopefully their 2.5L is now free of excessive oil-consumption.

The CX-5 2.5L is responsive, if you know how it works. Pushing the pedal normally will result in non-responsive luggish acceleration, which is what you want most of the time for good MPG. If you snap the pedal 1/2 way, the computer will go into "get up and go" mode and take off like a bat out of haydies. Comparing MPG of CX-5 2.5L to Suby 3.6L is sobering.

The CX-5 2.5L is responsive, if you know how it works. Pushing the pedal normally will result in non-responsive luggish acceleration, which is what you want most of the time for good MPG. If you snap the pedal 1/2 way, the computer will go into "get up and go" mode and take off like a bat out of haydies. Comparing MPG of CX-5 2.5L to Suby 3.6L is sobering.

I believe he was referring to the 2.5 outback vs the 3.6 outback. Not comparing the engines to the mazdas.

I like Subaru. I have no problem with them. They are very utilitarian. And there in lies the problem for me. They lack the soul, the passion that Mazda builds into their cars. All except the WRX that is. The Mazda is just fun to drive

I had two CVT rentals since January, a Nissan Maxima and Rogue. Both ugly, and squirrelly suspension. That CVT is a pita.. no "manual mode" so in traffic I'm stuck with a lunge type/rubber band effect when trying to creep at slow speeds, especially when letting off the gas (generally letting off the gas period). Step on the gas and the rpm jumps to some high rpm and stays pegged.. seems like a waste of fuel and misuse of the higher torque at lower rpms.

Nothing like flooring a cvt and listening to the loud noisy vibrations.

I really like the Outback as well and very close to getting one over the CX5 - but it had to be an Outback in manual (and they didn't have one at the time). I did drove the CVT Outback and these guys are right - CVTs give me a feeling of being letdown - like that gear is kickin in yeah - oh wait no its not.

Test drove a 3.6R tonight. Loved it. I kept reading that the 6-cylinder is as smooth as silk, and I'd have to agree. And I think Subaru really did a good job with its CVT. Definitely trumps Nissan's by a mile.

I believe he was referring to the 2.5 outback vs the 3.6 outback. Not comparing the engines to the mazdas.

I like Subaru. I have no problem with them. They are very utilitarian. And there in lies the problem for me. They lack the soul, the passion that Mazda builds into their cars. All except the WRX that is. The Mazda is just fun to drive

Read forums on 2.5L outback very carefully and beware. It is notorious for burning oil at a fast rate due to loose rings. Believe it has a class action suite on this problem. The 3.6L is a rock and been around a long time, and that is why it eats a lot of gas. Its outdated, but very reliable.

We own both. I can tell you, as far as sporty feel, the CX5 is the car to own. MPG - CX-5 is the winner here to, we have the 2.5L in the Outback and the 2.0L in the CX-5. The Outback barely makes 25 - 26 mpg but the CX-5 hits 31MPG with every fill up (calculated, not computer). On a recent business trip to Charlotte and back I got 35 MPG! That's with the A/C and cruising at 70mph.

The Outback shines for space. We have two kids and can fit all their stuff (playpen, potty, stroller) and luggage for family trips. The leather seats are supple and the leather itself is soft. Long hikes in the Outback are a true treat and the road noise is to a minimum.

I use the CX-5 for my commute to and from work. For that it's great, a bit cramped for long trips with kids and all our stuff but comfortable. I would not use the Outback for my commute...it's more of a highway cruiser. Hope that helps.

Back