The Subaru Outback Wins

It's not cheesy at all. I toured Bowling Green while my corvette was built, and met a lot of those type of people. Shaking their hands and talking to them and having them thank you over and over for buying a car from "them" put such a different spin on "those dirty greedy union workers..." that you constantly heard about during the GM "Bail-out" (which, really, helped every auto maker in the US).

Totally know what you mean! I bet that was a great experience.

Totally know what you mean! I bet that was a great experience.

It was the best $400 I have ever spent on any vehicle. I spent 2 days watching my Z06 go down the assembly line, met the plant manager, met Benny Hill, shook hands with dozens of employees as they explained their job when time permitted, and really got an appreciation for "building America's sports car". The experience transcended the brand, vehicle, everything. It was a lesson in small-town industrial America that I think would do a lot of people some good.

Subaru's H6 is old horizontally opposed 6 Boxer unfortunately it couldn't keep up the competition with other V6's. Not to mention Subaru seems unable to resolve the naturally inherited oil burning issue from Boxers. CVT's longevity is always questionable as people have seen too many failures on Nissan's CVT and class-action lawsuit on CVT against Audi. Both automakers were the pioneers of using CVT in recent years.
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
  • 3.6L DOHC 24-Valve H6 Boxer 256hp@6,000rpm | 247lb-ft@4,400rpm
2015 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
  • 3.7L DOHC 24-Valve V6 273hp@6,250rpm | 270lb-ft@4,250rpm
2015 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • 3.5L DOHC 24-Valve VVT-i V6 270hp@6,200rpm | 248lb-ft@4,700rpm
2015 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring
  • 3.5L SOHC 24-Valve i-VTEC V6 with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) 250hp@5,700rpm | 253lb-ft@4,800rpm
And looks like Mazda CX-9 is another good candidate with V6 power, bigger space, and the best handling in the class! (whistle)
As I said before, we aren't interested in a 3rd row. It's just us two, for now.
I was listing available CUV's with H6/V6 as you indicated the preference of power than fuel efficiency earlier. Unfortunately all CUV's featuring a 6-cylinder will have the 3rd row seat (other than the Outback of course). you can always keep the 3rd row folded so you won't see it.

I guess you care more about not having the 3rd row seating than the dated, inefficient, and possible oil-burning H6 Boxer and unknown longevity of the CVT.

I was listing available CUV's with H6/V6 as you indicated the preference of power than fuel efficiency earlier. Unfortunately all CUV's featuring a 6-cylinder will have the 3rd row seat (other than the Outback of course). you can always keep the 3rd row folded so you won't see it.

I guess you care more about not having the 3rd row seating than the dated, inefficient, and possible oil-burning H6 Boxer and unknown longevity of the CVT.

H6 are not oil burning what the heck are you talking about ? It is probably one of the most reliable engine around, and it is butter smooth. H4 2.5L are Subaru engines with problems, the oil pump seems not big enough to lubricate cylinder 4 in a lot of situation. A Leak Down test is a must when buying a used 2.5l.

Haha, a lot more than that went into our decision. I've driven all of the ones you've mentioned and still prefer the Outback. I guess out of those, if money was no option, I would actually probably pick the Highlander. Or if spending around $40,000 anyway, I'd also consider a new Acura RDX or Ford Edge. Two (of several) two-row vehicles featuring 6-cylinder engines that you did not mention. I loved the feel of the RDX and Edge.

H6 are not oil burning what the heck are you talking about ? It is probably one of the most reliable engine around, and it is butter smooth. H4 2.5L are Subaru engines with problems, the oil pump seems not big enough to lubricate cylinder 4 in a lot of situation. A Leak Down test is a must when buying a used 2.5l.

^This^

Horizontally opposed 4 or 6 Boxers, which are available from Porsche, VW (no longer), and Subaru, have always been known for oil burning issue if the manufactures are not careful as the cylinder sitting flat and the oil is not as easy as dripping down to the crankcase like in-line or V engines. That's why I keep saying this is naturally inherited oil burning issue. Lack of lubrication at cylinder 4 on H4 2.5L is something new to Subaru, which has nothing to do with oil burning issue being going on for many years!

I've owned a CX-5 for three years, and my mother owns a 2012 Outback 3.6, so I think I can make a contribution. ... Mom's 3.6 Outback also eats oil; I don't think the issue is strictly with the 2.5.
This is from post #37 on this thread. I didn't Google such information, I just use my common sense. If you're willing to Google it, I bet you'll see the whole lot more.

Well I have been on Subaru forums for over 10 years and I still go there everyday because I like the Subaru community, I had 2 subies. Let me tell you this is the first time I hear that there is a problem with H6 from subies, and on Forums problems pop up a lot (just look at 2.5L problems). There maybe problems here and there but it is like all manufacturer, you can get lemons with any brands. Personally I would buy an H6 anytime without being scared of oil burning at all.

Well I have been on Subaru forums for over 10 years and I still go there everyday because I like the Subaru community, I had 2 subies. Let me tell you this is the first time I hear that there is a problem with H6 from subies, and on Forums problems pop up a lot (just look at 2.5L problems). There maybe problems here and there but it is like all manufacturer, you can get lemons with any brands. Personally I would buy an H6 anytime without being scared of oil burning at all.

I agree. I have been following the Subaru forums for months, and what I hear from them (as well as numerous car sites) is that Subaru's H6 is extremely dependable, perfectly balanced, and smooth and silk.

I agree. I have been following the Subaru forums for months, and what I hear from them (as well as numerous car sites) is that Subaru's H6 is extremely dependable, perfectly balanced, and smooth and silk.
Really? This is the first time you heard that there is a problem with H6 from Subies (H6 oil consumption)? Let me Google it...

This is from subaruoutback.org:
oil consumption (2010 OB 3.6R limited)

Of course Unobtanium found another two:

I'm not saying every H6 has oil-burning issue. But if the automaker is not careful during assembly, it's very easy to have such issue on horizontally opposed 4/6 Boxers due to their design nature.

During my new vehicle search I was considering sedans as well as CUV's. The Accord V6 and Subaru Legacy V6 were on my list to test drive. The Accord was fine, although I did not care for its double LCD screen layout. I never got around to test driving the Subaru. The Forrester, Outback, and Crosstrek are too "outdoorsy looking" for my style and taste. Probably if I lived in the mountains I would be interested in one of the Subaru SUV's, CUV's, or crossovers.

You can find problems on any car brand doing a web search, it doesn't mean it is general problem with the car, I am sure I could find oil consumption problems on a GM-Nissan-toyota..etc... even here we find people with engine-transmission problems with their Cx-5, would you say all cx-5 have engine problems? anyway I am not here to argue, forum fight are useless, we all have our opinion and that is fine. :) I am sure gettingLM is old enough to take a decision based on his personal tastes and not the ones from a forum guy like me. :)

You can find problems on any car brand doing a web search, it doesn't mean it is general problem with the car, I am sure I could find oil consumption problems on a GM-Nissan-toyota..etc... even here we find people with engine-transmission problems with their Cx-5, would you say all cx-5 have engine problems? anyway I am not here to argue, forum fight are useless, we all have our opinion and that is fine. :) I am sure gettingLM is old enough to take a decision based on his personal tastes and not the ones from a forum guy like me. :)

Agreed. I think this is partially my fault. I should not have named this thread "The Subaru Outback Wins", but rather, "I am Choosing the Subaru Outback". This isn't an adversarial thing. Car purchases are based on personal preference, and everything is subjective. I love Mazdas and will consider them in the future. If this long search for a car has taught me anything, it is that there is NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT CAR (well, maybe if you have $100,000 to spend and don't care about future maintenance costs). You just have to find the car that best suits your needs/desires.

Saw a newer looking 3.6R just today at the post office. Pretty common. I just hate the look of a wagon.

That said, I'm not everybody, and some people love the look of a wagon. Rock on, it's a quality product.

Saw a newer looking 3.6R just today at the post office. Pretty common. I just hate the look of a wagon.

That said, I'm not everybody, and some people love the look of a wagon. Rock on, it's a quality product.

Not a backhanded compliment at all. (wink)

Not a backhanded compliment at all. (wink)

I'm just saying I don't buy the "rare" thing, and I don't like the look of them. The aesthetics are 100% personal opinion, though. The rare thing...well, I can't leave my apartment without having to navigate around/past/beside one, so...?

ETA: Auto trader says that within 300 mile radius of my apartment, there are 11 such cars (New Outback 3.6 wagons), and within 500 miles, 51. This is not rare.

Last edited:
I'm just saying I don't buy the "rare" thing, and I don't like the look of them. The aesthetics are 100% personal opinion, though. The rare thing...well, I can't leave my apartment without having to navigate around/past/beside one, so...?

I searched this post for the word "rare" and it was only used twice, both by you. Afraid you misunderstood me. I never said they were "rare", only that you have to order them. They are hard to find on dealer lots for purchase, not on the street.

As an example: just did a Cars.com search and there are 40 3.6Rs on lots within a 500-mile radius of me, and that includes all of the Chicago metropolitan area. To compare, same search parameters, there are 646 Outbacks (of any kind) and 3,369 Mazda CX-5s ( of any kind) within the same area.

Last edited:
Back