The Progression of my V.1 Street Sleeper Turbo build

stud and nut are the best way to go... otherwise its damn near impossible to get the bottom one tight

Yeah, get that fixed ASAP. YOu could warp the housing or the downpipe, and cause it not to seal ever. Which is not fun.

bazooka joe said:
any 1st gen sleeper owners having issue with the ceramic coating on the mani flaking off? i talk to beau about it and he said it shouldn't have and it's garaunteed so send it back and he'll have ut redone...well i really can't do that i need the car and i can imagine that it will take a while....anyway, i was thinking of doing mani wrap but i've been reading that holding the heat in lile that is not such a good idea, especially on headers, any suggestions ideas...the mani looks like crap now....:(

I went to show a guy at work today my new installation. Opened up the hood and WTF??? Same thing is happening to me! (pissed)

Attachments

• Dcp_0284.jpg
    Dcp_0284.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Dcp_0285.jpg
    Dcp_0285.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 316
mspeedP5 said:
I went to show a guy at work today my new installation. Opened up the hood and WTF??? Same thing is happening to me! (pissed)

it suckx....

It sure does. And what's a person gonna do? Like you, it's my daily driver. It's not like I can just park the car, take everything apart and send the mani off to get recoated. :mad:

well, i painted the area, not to bad...but i'm thinking i'll put header wrap around it until i can send it back, or even have a local coater do it...maybe beau will reimburse me??? what are you going to do?

Well I bought this kit from another board member, not directly from MAM so I guess I'm stuck with it, whatever I do. Strange thing though. The guy I bought it from said he put about 8000 km on it. I haven't even put on 1000 and this happens.
I'll live with it for now and see what there is locally for recoating. Major PITA tho'. What did you use for paint? You got any pics of the cracking and then after you painted?

Engine Temperature

So I'm in boost through 3rd, 4th and into 5th gear and my temp gauge climbs right up to the top. I was climbing a mountain pass and probably hit 140 kph before backing off and the temp dropped back down. Is this normal and just how accurate are the OEM temp gauges anyway?

Well I got the temp thing sorted out, it was just a calibration issue thank god. I was also experiencing some severe bucking, particularly in the lower gears when I really matted the throttle. We have since sorted this out also and here are my latest dyno results... :)

Dyno05-13-2006TQ.jpg

Dyno05-13-2006AFR.jpg

Dyno05-13-2006PSI.jpg

Turbo Seals Toast...?

Went for a cruise out to the West Coast of the island and back yesterday. No problems at all except for the car didn't really seem to have the punch under boost that it has had earlier. I attributed it to the hot weather. (It hit 34 celcius yesterday) Got home, parked the car and everything seemed fine. Got up to go to work this morning, pulled the car out of the garage and then went back in to get the garbage and that's when I saw it. A puddle of oil on the floor. I'm like WTF??? I go back out and shut off the car, open the hood and there is oil on just about everything south of the valve cover gasket. The turbo itself looked clean, but there was oil on the oil return line, down-pipe/wastegate-pipe, block, transaxle etc. I pull the dip-stick and the oil was at the low/add mark. I'm thinking this is not good, but I quickly restart the car and drive it back into the garage. Now my mind is racing, what could this be, where is the oil coming from? I unplug the MAF and then disconnect the intake pipe from the turbo housing. The inside of the pipe is covered in oil and there is a little pool sitting in the bottom of the turbo inlet. Now I'm shittin', but I gotta go to work, so I call a cab and go. When I got home I disconnected the U-pipe on the passenger side of the intercooler and this is what I found. (See attached pics) Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm thinking that the seal is gone, leaking oil into the intake. Everytime the BOV released, it was spewing a spray of oil, which at highway speeds was being sprayed all over everything else in the engine compartment and underneath.

Attachments

• Dcp_0448 copy.jpg
    Dcp_0448 copy.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Dcp_0449 copy.jpg
    Dcp_0449 copy.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 315
hey mspeedP5, I was wondering for all of us "perspective" turbo purchasers- how much have you spent in all on turbo kit + misc stuff (hoses, connectors, etc...) + tuning? Just curious how much a project like this would set me back. Thanks for the info. looks sweet!

wildo said:
hey mspeedP5, I was wondering for all of us "perspective" turbo purchasers- how much have you spent in all on turbo kit + misc stuff (hoses, connectors, etc...) + tuning? Just curious how much a project like this would set me back. Thanks for the info. looks sweet!

Let's just say that I've spent a lot more than I budgeted for, and it now looks like I'll be spending even more to replace the guts of the turbo...:(

But once you've had a taste of the dark side, there's no going back! Boost is good! (thumb)

How do I replace Manifold Stud?

Okay so I have removed the turbo assembly from the downpipe/exhaust manifold and shipped it off to Kinetic Motorsport for repair. It sounds like I was getting too much oil to the turbo and the info I have been able to get is that all GT28RS turbo's should have a .040 oil restrictor in the supply fitting. I'll be making sure there is one in there now!
In the process of removing the turbo, one of the studs in the exhaust manifold wound out. I have never installed a stud before and need to know how to do it. Also, should I be putting loctite on it?
All help much appreciated.

mspeedP5 said:
Okay so I have removed the turbo assembly from the downpipe/exhaust manifold and shipped it off to Kinetic Motorsport for repair. It sounds like I was getting too much oil to the turbo and the info I have been able to get is that all GT28RS turbo's should have a .040 oil restrictor in the supply fitting. I'll be making sure there is one in there now!
In the process of removing the turbo, one of the studs in the exhaust manifold wound out. I have never installed a stud before and need to know how to do it. Also, should I be putting loctite on it?
All help much appreciated.

a restrictor? please make sure you show us a pic of that!!!

i didn't use locktite???

I did some searching around and found out about the "2 nut" method for installing/removing studs. I took out the remaining 3 (two of which were loose anyway) and this is what I discovered, no consistency in length...?
I'm going to replace all 4 with the shortest length for ease of reinstallation.
Regarding the restrictor, I will post when I get my turbo back. BTW, I got the info on the restrictor from both Kinetic Motorsport and Horsepowerconnection.com.

Attachments

• Manifold Studs.jpg
    Manifold Studs.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 257
mspeedP5 said:
I did some searching around and found out about the "2 nut" method for installing/removing studs. I took out the remaining 3 (two of which were loose anyway) and this is what I discovered, no consistency in length...?
Regarding the restrictor, I will post when I get my turbo back. BTW, I got the info on the restrictor from both Kinetic Motorsport and Horsepowerconnection.com.

thanks for the info

mspeedP5 said:

just so you know, two of the studs are short on purpose. Because of the shape of the turbo, they can't be full length through two of the holes, because they will hit the turbine housing, and you'll never get a nut on.

game on

Back