The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Some of the things I noticed at Mid-Ohio

1) Passing was done on both sides! While it doesn't seem like a big deal at first, there were several scenarios where 2 slow cars were letting people pass in between them, as they both pointed at the opposite sides of one another.....talk about accident waiting to happen

2) People weren't exactly letting off the throttle when signaling. As instructions mentioned, you don't have to slam your brakes, but I've passed several people who were still clearly on the throttle, while 2-3 cars were passing them.

3) Some folks were giving out passing signals in non-safe areas, like the madness for example, or under honda bridge. While this may be OK in higher groups, I don't think it's a good idea in Novice groups

EDIT:

I forgot to mention people who simply forgot to signal anything AKA Silver Scion FRS!!

Has anyone seen this video yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S0-sHtlCZ7M

Basically, it shows how Tesla Model S owners can pull up to a Tesla station. Then, they can pay to have their battery pack automatically swapped out in like 1/3 the time it takes to fill up a full tank of gas on a regular car. This is a pretty sweet concept! I wonder how much it is to do the swap? In the future if there are enough Tesla stations, you can take the electric car on a road trip and not have to worry about the batteries running out of a charge. You also don't have to wait hours for the car batteries to charge.

My weekend seemed to fly by, Watched Le Mans, did some more unpacking & laundry. Selpt for 10 hours Satuday night. Sprayed some hornet's nest and saw Malon the Pit Road bouncer in actiona on the conti tires race on speed on Sunday.

Some of the things I noticed at Mid-Ohio

1) Passing was done on both sides! While it doesn't seem like a big deal at first, there were several scenarios where 2 slow cars were letting people pass in between them, as they both pointed at the opposite sides of one another.....talk about accident waiting to happen

2) People weren't exactly letting off the throttle when signaling. As instructions mentioned, you don't have to slam your brakes, but I've passed several people who were still clearly on the throttle, while 2-3 cars were passing them.

3) Some folks were giving out passing signals in non-safe areas, like the madness for example, or under honda bridge. While this may be OK in higher groups, I don't think it's a good idea in Novice groups

EDIT:

I forgot to mention people who simply forgot to signal anything AKA Silver Scion FRS!!

Yeah, that's why they need to clearly explain which side passing is done in the various passing areas. Passing in non-passing areas shouldn't of been acceptable at all. Any other track day I've been to, passing in a non-designated zone or without a signal would get you an immediate black flag for a talking to. Doing it multiple times would mean you aren't going out anymore.

My weekend seemed to fly by, Watched Le Mans, did some more unpacking & laundry. Selpt for 10 hours Satuday night. Sprayed some hornet's nest and saw Malon the Pit Road bouncer in actiona on the conti tires race on speed on Sunday.

My 15 seconds of fame......

Has anyone seen this video yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S0-sHtlCZ7M

Basically, it shows how Tesla Model S owners can pull up to a Tesla station. Then, they can pay to have their battery pack automatically swapped out in like 1/3 the time it takes to fill up a full tank of gas on a regular car. This is a pretty sweet concept! I wonder how much it is to do the swap? In the future if there are enough Tesla stations, you can take the electric car on a road trip and not have to worry about the batteries running out of a charge. You also don't have to wait hours for the car batteries to charge.

$60 each time. Or you can charge it for free at the "supercharger stations" - which takes 30 minutes.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/21/tesla-model-s-battery-swap-takes-just-90-seconds/

As far as hand signals, usually at each track they utilize a map to show where the passing zones were. I saw no map in that room we were in. They brought the flags out to tell you what each one was, and waved it around.

Usually the car passing must go off line. Since EVERYONE was off line in the wet I think things got a little messed up. And I thought Jason stated that we would pass on either side due to this, before we went out.

I wasn't out there long so anything that happened in the dry is beyond me but keep in mind that was the first time AI had been to mid o and a lot of drivers (mainly novice) also had never been there.

I highly encourage anyone with comments or suggestions to email Jason, he loves feedback and likes to improve his events for everyone's benefit.

http://autointerests.com/contact

I do remember him saying that about being offline, but passing only happens on the straights so even if you aren't taking the dry line through the corner you still end up on the same side of the track at the exit for the straight and therefore all passing should be done on the same/proper side.

When I was riding around with Ivan I saw some pretty interesting maneuvers when it came to letting him by.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all or anything, but that was my only gripe with the event. Otherwise I thought it went pretty well.

I'm not defending anyone, just trying to recall what was said in the meeting. But seriously, send feedback

Will do! (2thumbs) It was seriously a fun event, I was impressed at how smoothly it went even with the rain. I was expecting it to be a cluster! Haha.

I <3 model S.
Once there are free stations in ohio (don't foresee that happening any time soon), I will seriously consider getting one.

I looked at their "planned" map and there are none for Cleveland.. ever.
Guess that's another reason to gtfo of here. :)

I love the Tesla S, I've seen 2 Black ones here. Unless electric cars get made in Ohio, I don't see much infastructure being built here.

I <3 model S.
Once there are free stations in ohio (don't foresee that happening any time soon), I will seriously consider getting one.

I am seriously impressed with Tesla too. I've seen several S's around Columbus and they look so damn cool. There's a bright blue one with black wheels that looks sick.

So you can charge a Tesla at any charging stations? You need to use the Supecharger system only?

Ive seen a black one around town the last couple of weeks....soooooo nice. Never bothered to check the map after i built a performance model online. A little out of my budget. Lol

Sitting at the dentist with the girl child. Tam is in the back with the boy child. Each getting a cavity filled....darn ankle biters. :)

Back