The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

I'd still pick the VW over the MS3. It's just a better car overall. I should post that on OMS and see what happens.

I said since I got my car... ;)

I didn't get a custom tune til last year on the stock turbo. No corn til after lime rock last year, no big turbo til middle of December last year. And I've had the car 3 years almost
Somebody is a slacker...says the guy that has only changed oil and wheels...
I'd still pick the VW over the MS3. It's just a better car overall. I should post that on OMS and see what happens.

lol. At this point in my life I would too. Really just because I can get a wagon and I would take a serious look at the DSG too. Plus most MS3's I've seen posted I just don't feel like I could trust the previous owner. Ivan's being the exception.

lol. At this point in my life I would too. Really just because I can get a wagon and I would take a serious look at the DSG too. Plus most MS3's I've seen posted I just don't feel like I could trust the previous owner. Ivan's being the exception.

It's hard to compare really because none of the Golf models directly compete with the MS3. The Sportwagen is larger and not sport-oriented. The GTI is smaller and falls more into the "premium hatchback" category where a good balance of speed, handling, and luxury is achieved. The Golf R is AWD and nearly $40k and is more on par with thw WRX STi. It's too bad you can't get a "Sportwagen GTI." The DSG is pretty nice. It can definitely shift faster than I ever could but it's a little weird at slow speeds and doesn't downshift while decelerating in a manner I'm used to.

How was everyone's weekend?

Had a birthday party Saturday and went to see my Grandma on Sunday. The Escape is inching closer to 40k mikes and on the trip decided it's just too small. Also saw a new Edge in front of the Ford dealership...might have to give Nick a visit next spring.

How was everyone's weekend?

Had a birthday party Saturday and went to see my Grandma on Sunday. The Escape is inching closer to 40k mikes and on the trip decided it's just too small. Also saw a new Edge in front of the Ford dealership...might have to give Nick a visit next spring.

Yard work all day Saturday. Changed the oil in the Flex and finished up some home audio stuff yesterday.

Is the Edge really bigger than the Escape? They're both 5-door, 5-seaters. Maybe something like an Explorer would be better?

Is the Edge really bigger than the Escape? They're both 5-door, 5-seaters. Maybe something like an Explorer would be better?

I just looked at them after posting and they are bigger, but not really much bigger. An Explorer would be better, but I would personally rather have a Flex over an Explorer. I don't like any of their price tags new though...

I just looked at them after posting and they are bigger, but not really much bigger. An Explorer would be better, but I would personally rather have a Flex over an Explorer. I don't like any of their price tags new though...

Yeah, the Flex can get expensive fast. Maybe used? When we were looking at 'em back in late 2012 they still had a pre-facelift 2012 MY for some absurd amount under invoice. The Explorer is a decent middle ground but I wouldn't get one with the third row.

Will probably look CPO when the time comes. Nick's Work has a pretty nice SEL AWD CPO for just under $28 with almost 40k miles. Looks to be about a $8-10k difference compared to new on the website with current incentives.

Will look into the Highlander too. Amber has mentioned that a couple times.

The Edge has a lot more room in it than you would think. Much more leg room and width in the second row, which I know has been a issue for Nate with the car seats fitting. Obviously a Flex beats them both. Just depends on if you need that big of a vehicle. I remember my parts loading the four of us and all of our crap for a week's vacation in a Jeep Cherokee, so people needing big ass vehicles for their one kid always cracks me up.

Highlander....... Pfft.......

The Edge has a lot more room in it than you would think. Much more leg room and width in the second row, which I know has been a issue for Nate with the car seats fitting. Obviously a Flex beats them both. Just depends on if you need that big of a vehicle. I remember my parts loading the four of us and all of our crap for a week's vacation in a Jeep Cherokee, so people needing big ass vehicles for their one kid always cracks me up.

Yeah, the Edge is definitely bigger. I didn't know if the issue was with leg/hip room or storage space. The latter seems to be similar.

We did the same in a '94 Camry when I was a kid. I think my dad invented some kind of device that violates space-time and put it in the trunk. One of my most vivid memories is getting a flat tire in the rain and having to take everything out of the trunk to get to the spare...

Yet, here I am, twenty years later with a family of four and a Flex, haha.

Not a fan of the Highlander? We can make it work obviously but more room is always nice. The major downside of the Escape to me is lack of cargo room really. I wish a cargo net like I have in the wagon that went from the top of the back seats to the ceiling was available. That would allow a whole lot more stuff to be packed int because you wouldn't have to worry about in falling forward onto the kids. Having Kennedy occasionally kick my seat is annoying but also part of the trip. Same with Amber squeezing in between the to car seats to keep Carter occupied or feed him a bottle.
Yeah, the Edge is definitely bigger. I didn't know if the issue was with leg/hip room or storage space. The latter seems to be similar.

We did the same in a '94 Camry when I was a kid. I think my dad invented some kind of device that violates space-time and put it in the trunk. One of my most vivid memories is getting a flat tire in the rain and having to take everything out of the trunk to get to the spare...

Yet, here I am, twenty years later with a family of four and a Flex, haha.
We went on a 10 day to Disney in a 92 Lincoln Continental so I think anything can be done. :)

Not a fan of the Highlander? We can make it work obviously but more room is always nice. The major downside of the Escape to me is lack of cargo room really. I wish a cargo net like I have in the wagon that went from the top of the back seats to the ceiling was available. That would allow a whole lot more stuff to be packed int because you wouldn't have to worry about in falling forward onto the kids. Having Kennedy occasionally kick my seat is annoying but also part of the trip. Same with Amber squeezing in between the to car seats to keep Carter occupied or feed him a bottle.

My bad. I thought it was the other way around. I mean, if you want to have a lot of room for babies and their gear, you're going to need a minivan or a crew cab truck. (lol2)

My bad. I thought it was the other way around. I mean, if you want to have a lot of room for babies and their gear, you're going to need a minivan or a crew cab truck. (lol2)

There's a chance of a crew cab truck in the future. It's a very distant future though.

Like right around the time we have flying cars? (lol2)

If you want to stop up some time to see the Edge or Flex, let me know.

There's a chance of a crew cab truck in the future. It's a very distant future though.

Trucks are awesome utility vehicles but family vehicles they are not. A F-150 crew cab, decently equipped, will put you near Flex prices with no where near the comfort and less interior space. I thought about this when we were replacing my Tacoma back in '12 since it'd be a way to keep its towing capability. What swayed us was the ability to seat 6 or more people since we often have family/friends visiting from out of town and it's a pain to have to take two vehicles everywhere.

I like my crew cab truck for hauling around the grand kids it hold 3 baby seats and there's enough room that they can't kick the back of the seat yet, I will agree that it does ride harder than a car but its still pretty comfortable. Jon your RX-7 is looking great btw

I like my crew cab truck for hauling around the grand kids it hold 3 baby seats and there's enough room that they can't kick the back of the seat yet, I will agree that it does ride harder than a car but its still pretty comfortable. Jon your RX-7 is looking great btw

Trucks like the new aluminum F-150 and even the Rams drive incredibly smooth.

Like right around the time we have flying cars? (lol2)

If you want to stop up some time to see the Edge or Flex, let me know.
Like when it's time to put the wagon out to pasture or the need to trailer the Camaro frequently, which ever comes first. So 8ish years? I wouldn't want to bug any other salesman :)
Trucks are awesome utility vehicles but family vehicles they are not. A F-150 crew cab, decently equipped, will put you near Flex prices with no where near the comfort and less interior space. I thought about this when we were replacing my Tacoma back in '12 since it'd be a way to keep its towing capability. What swayed us was the ability to seat 6 or more people since we often have family/friends visiting from out of town and it's a pain to have to take two vehicles everywhere.
I wouldn't have a truck as the main family vehicle unless Amber steals it from me. As big as the Taco's and Colorado's are now, might not even need a full size truck honestly.
Trucks like the new aluminum F-150 and even the Rams drive incredibly smooth.

I'll test drive a couple for fun to see :) I can do an eco boost burn out competition. The 2.7 with the smaller wheels is my pick for a winner.

No doubt a full-sized truck with the Crew Cab would work. True the full-sized American trucks are pretty cushy as well. I would not subject my family to several hours in a Tacoma though. The outgoing generation (since '05?) was the only true utilitarian truck left. If I didn't have to worry about extra passengers occasionally a full size, Crew Cab would have been a great option. Especially now since the new Al F-150 Eco-Boosts get decent fuel economy.

Every now and then I find myself looking at motorcycles. I think that's going to be my next project after the RX-7 if I can convince the wife. I'm in love with the cafe' racer scene. I've wanted to do a cafe' style GL1000 for a while but today I found this: Triumph Thruxton. Cafe' looks but with a modern drivetrain.

No doubt a full-sized truck with the Crew Cab would work. True the full-sized American trucks are pretty cushy as well. I would not subject my family to several hours in a Tacoma though. The outgoing generation (since '05?) was the only true utilitarian truck left. If I didn't have to worry about extra passengers occasionally a full size, Crew Cab would have been a great option. Especially now since the new Al F-150 Eco-Boosts get decent fuel economy.

Every now and then I find myself looking at motorcycles. I think that's going to be my next project after the RX-7 if I can convince the wife. I'm in love with the cafe' racer scene. I've wanted to do a cafe' style GL1000 for a while but today I found this: Triumph Thruxton. Cafe' looks but with a modern drivetrain.

I've always wanted a bike but will probably never happen. The Thruxton is pretty cool. I like the Street Triple R also.

Back