The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

im trying to get a newer car thats gonna last me a while. I think the rx8 is best for me. ive always wanted a rotary, i want a little bit of space to be able to carry people around, and i want a reliable car. something that isnt modded nearly as much as mine. i think springs and struts, intake, exhaust, cobb tune, and lip kit and ill be set.

im trying to get a newer car thats gonna last me a while. I think the rx8 is best for me. ive always wanted a rotary, i want a little bit of space to be able to carry people around, and i want a reliable car. something that isnt modded nearly as much as mine. i think springs and struts, intake, exhaust, cobb tune, and lip kit and ill be set.

Bahaha a rotary for DD and reliable.

RX8 has electrical nannies that make it difficult to maintain (electric oil metering pump for one) that are easier and cheaper to deal with on a 2nd gen RX7.

i dont think its ridiculous to expect to have to put less effort into maintaining a near stock rx8 than into a cut corner heavy modded protege....

I do DD my FC, and it's held up, although I do a ton of maintenance on it. OMP delete helped reduce issues though.

I know its a lot of maintaining to DD. I was looking at getting one when I wrecked my blue msp recently :/ Got a yellow msp instead :D

that is another option for me too. switch to a msp and start over with a cleaner more reliable car. switch all the parts i want over and sell the old car. but i really want rwd and i really want a rotary... you guys have been making it seem like it is so hard to DD a rx8.... i wonder how all the ones i see on the road are still running......

i dont think its ridiculous to expect to have to put less effort into maintaining a near stock rx8 than into a cut corner heavy modded protege....

I don't know about a heavily modded protege, but for what I know of the 8s it might not be a good trade off. I'd love to have an 8, but I didn't want to deal with all that bulls*** and cost. Just be sure to do your research on every model, every one has its quirks. I'll tell you right now, stay away from '04s. Look for '06 and up.

If you are going to keep it dead stock, and premix WITH the factory OMP, and check your oil level twice a week (minimum), then you won't have many issues. If not (sounds like you want to mod it heavily) you will hit problems.

whats the difference between the years? every review i have ever read on the car has been positive.... maybe ill contact my old calculus teacher from high school who drove one and see how it is for him...

I don't know about a heavily modded protege, but for what I know of the 8s it might not be a good trade off. I'd love to have an 8, but I didn't want to deal with all that bulls*** and cost. Just be sure to do your research on every model, every one has its quirks. I'll tell you right now, stay away from '04s. Look for '06 and up.

It's the 04 automatics that had issues with oil starvation. Any of them with 80k or less in manual transmission should be ok

If you are going to keep it dead stock, and premix WITH the factory OMP, and check your oil level twice a week (minimum), then you won't have many issues. If not (sounds like you want to mod it heavily) you will hit problems.

i listed the mods i want to do to it. i dont think its too much. how reliable is your FC. i have always wanted one and found a clean TII for 6k

See what happens when you can't get online. Chris goes and totals his car. WTF?

Yeah it was. Not parting out either. Couldn't buy her back.

0330131815_zps8a51f0a7.jpg

i listed the mods i want to do to it. i dont think its too much. how reliable is your FC. i have always wanted one and found a clean TII for 6k

OMP Delete and premix 1:1
BCD and stock boost
Catback exhaust and you will have so much fun, and cheaper insurance

you guys have been making it seem like it is so hard to DD a rx8.... i wonder how all the ones i see on the road are still running......

It can be done, but in order to be successful you HAVE to stay on top of maintenance, follow the service manual to the rule. Don't wait till something starts to fail, replace it when its due, preferably with stock parts for reliability. Also, it needs to be driven properly: high revs at least once a day, rev it before you turn it off, and don't even think about using anything under 93 octane gas. It is also very useful to add a little oil when you fill up with gas, that is another expense and something you'll be doing quite often, besides the regular oil that should be topped off every other fill up.

I just want to make sure you KNOW it won't be cheap. Maintenance is not hard, but it is a pain in the ass.

Back