The Mitsubishi Evo X Concept Redefines Cornering

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
evo.x.act.500.jpg

There's a quantum leap just around the corner, and not just in the sheet metal. Expect some fancy footwork, too. (Photo by Ken Kobayashi)

evo.x.front.1.500.jpg

The Evo was already a superhero in the all-wheel-drive world. The Evo X test mule makes you feel like the Drift King. It turns mere mortal drivers into rally champions with its tricky, fail-safe AWD system. You'd have to be doing something quite silly to rotate this machine now. It's almost spinproof and will only get better. (Photo by Ken Kobayashi)

evo.x.front.2.500.jpg

In just one decade, the Evo has etched its way into international cult folklore and inspired a generation of Gran Turismo gamers. (Photo by Ken Kobayashi)

evo.x.rear.500.jpg

The Evo's incredible grip comes from its Super All Wheel Control system, which combines electronically controlled all-wheel drive, Active Stability Control, Active Yaw Control and an Active Center Differential that distributes torque between the front and rear wheels. (Photo by Jim Kneiszel)

A sneak peek (and drive) of Mitsu's next all-wheel-drive super-bargain

You've got to love 'em: this bunch of mech-heads at Mitsubishi whose sole purpose in life is to make the world's best-handling all-wheel-drive car. They started out in 1992 with the first Lancer Evolution, and after nine generations, they have proved the theory of evolution. No four-door sedan can devour corners faster than the Evo. For the money, only the WRX STI comes close. In just one decade, the Evo has etched its way into international cult folklore and inspired a generation of Gran Turismo gamers.

So where do you go from there? How do you better the best? "That's simple," said Mitsubishi AWD guru Kaoru Sawase. "You build the Evo X."

The latest evolution of the Evo
We had been invited to test an experimental Evo X mule on snow at the company's proving ground in northern Japan. The carmaker wanted to show us what "taking it to the next level" meant. Now it's not every day that you can get inside secret facilities to test technology that won't see a showroom for at least 18 months.

The thing is this. Mitsubishi is feeling good about itself. Having clawed its way out of a very costly recall fiasco and back into the black, thanks to strong domestic sales of the new Outlander and 660cc "i" minicar, Mitsubishi wants to show off the latest refinements on its AWD tour-de-force road-going rocket. The radical, mean-looking Evo X concept met with rave reviews at last year's Tokyo Motor Show, and Mitsubishi aims to complement that response with an Evo X production package that's second to none.

But before it let us loose in the test mule, Sawase explained what we were driving. It looked like last year's model Evo a Trojan horse ploy, perhaps. Manufacturers often camouflage their latest experimental technologies under one- or two-year-old cars. And this yellow Evo VIII was just that.

"This car has the Evo VIII's turbocharged 2.0-liter," chirped Sawase, "not even the current model's MIVEC engine. So you're not here to test acceleration or torque response. We want you to test the upgraded S-AWC [Super All Wheel Control] system." And on this car that means an improved Active Yaw Control (AYC) and an all-new four-wheel independent active-braking system.

A hotter platform for hotter shoes
Just to recap the basics here, the current model's incredible grip comes from its Super AWC system that combines electronically controlled all-wheel drive, Active Stability Control, AYC and an Active Center Differential (ACD) that distributes torque between the front and rear wheels. The ACD works in conjunction with the AYC, which splits torque optimally between the rear wheels, thus enhancing grip and steering response.

With the Evo X, Mitsubishi has further optimized response time of the AYC unit and fitted a new active-braking system that automatically takes over when the AYC/ACD's grip levels have been compromised, supplying braking force independently to all four wheels and restricting slide and sideways movement.

At the track, this clever marriage of stronger AYC and independent four-wheel braking combined superbly to deliver just the right amounts of power and steering response, leading us to quicker times through the slippery slalom course. The car's rear end was more composed as it tucked in, cleanly following the line traced by the front wheels. The amount of steering input required was reduced as well, turning in sharper and more precisely than any Evo before it. The system does not and cannot, however, totally restrict slides. Sure, the tail will go when provoked, but the new braking system will engage only when you've exhausted the S-AWC's ability to maintain four-wheel grip.

Freaky-good control
If you want to throw the car around, you can, and the feel of the steering is as natural and progressive as the current model's. But when you want to bring the car back into line, the task is made that much easier by the revisions. And what of those revisions? Sawase says he's not finished yet. His team wants to further fine-tune the new S-AWC by incorporating steering and suspension upgrades that all work in unison with the central AWD-AYC-ACD-brake package. This will propel the Evo X in the fall of 2007 to the next dimension in cornering potential, a dimension that, well, doesn't exist yet.
<!-- (JSP_END) /InsideLine/InsideLineWeb/WebRoot/components/features/primarycontent.jsp --><!-- end Primary Content --><!-- PR3662: related discussion --><!-- (JSP_START) /InsideLine/InsideLineWeb/WebRoot/components/discussion_article_related.jsp --><!-- (JSP_END) /InsideLine/InsideLineWeb/WebRoot/components/discussion_article_related.jsp --><!-- end related discussion --><!-- Footer content --><!-- (JSP_START) /InsideLine/InsideLineWeb/WebRoot/layout/footer.jsp -->

link with video:http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=109902#2

Last edited:
sounds pretty impressive but at the same time it makes it sounds like the computer is doing everything and you don't have control, if infact it is as intrusive as i am believing i hope they have different levels or at least an on/off switch...

I think I just filled the cup...

Britt

wing looks too tall for the car. maybe a thinner wing, or just a lip spoiler.

beside that, i think the car looks great. different, but i like it.

Of course this is pending that Mitsubishi will still be in the US market because there sales arent stellar and americans can careless about better handling.

and all we care about is power so it doesnt matter how much suspention or improved handling goes into this car...people are just gonna take it to OSW. Cant test out the improved AWC and breaks on a drag strip.
dunno.gif
honestly for those that are reading this article...do you really care about the handling of the car? There no mention of 1/4 mile times, HP or even the Mivec engine. makes me wonder if people buying evos really appreciate what goes into it or what they are driving. Now that it wont have the 4g63 but its promissed to be even fater and more capable through better suspention and handling. But who cares we jsut want to see 800 hp evos.

just a thought....

seems like all their work on this car is not gonna get any attention in the US. All we want are 9 sec evos and 800 hp AMS evos...thats all people care about. I know exactly whats going to happen. People are gonna b**** about the engine being high compression turbo motor and how hard it is to tune variable timming and how it can only handle XXX amount of Hp while the 4G63 can handle more. And take no notice of the drastically improved suspention

spacemonkey - I see a lot of EVO's out at autox and open track events and they do really well. It all depends on who you hang around as to what you'll hear. There are a lot of people in the US interested in the handling of the EVO. As far as the engine, you need to look no farther then the new SRT-4 Caliber to get an idea of what it will be. That's the new "world engine" developed jointly between Mitsu, Hyundai, and DCX. It comes in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4L varients. The SRT uses a turbo 2.4 with 300 hp. The Caliber even shares the Lancer platform...

Mallard said:
spacemonkey - I see a lot of EVO's out at autox and open track events and they do really well. It all depends on who you hang around as to what you'll hear. There are a lot of people in the US interested in the handling of the EVO. As far as the engine, you need to look no farther then the new SRT-4 Caliber to get an idea of what it will be. That's the new "world engine" developed jointly between Mitsu, Hyundai, and DCX. It comes in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4L varients. The SRT uses a turbo 2.4 with 300 hp. The Caliber even shares the Lancer platform...
im not saying they dont go autocross...im saying no one cares about a road racing or autocrossing EVO. No one cares about road racing period here so why should such a AWD system get a look? Does no good in its advertisments...."all new improved handling" is that gonna sell over HP? When GM is flaunting 400 hp cars for a cheap price? HP sells in America not handling. No one cares that the Corvette suspention wsa tuned at the nurburing....all they care about is the 500 hp LS7. More peopel show up to a NHRA and NASCAR event then they do to a American Lemans series or Grandam race (I know because I went). 1st thing you flip in a magazine and you see 1/4 mile times. No one cars about skid or sloam times. Try fliping a eruopean magazine and see if they stress 1/4 mile times as much.

You know what the EVO guys were saying when MIVEC (VVTi) came out on the EVO IX? Peopel were talkigna bout putting a EVO VIII head on because teh variable timming was "new" and foreign to them. Infact I know people who wouldnt buy the EVO IX becuase of MIVEC. Another EVO owner recommended buying a EVO VII instead becasue it didnt have MIVEC. They been tuning 4G63s sicne the begining of time you think they are going to roll over for a new MIVEC engine?

want an example?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/archive/index.php/t-158233.html

so if evo owners are bitching about the new MIVEC variable timming how are they going to accept a new engine with even more newer technology? Lets say this EVO X is gonna have MIVEC with lift (VVTi-L) and direct injection so it can save gas and run on higher compression. You think EVO owners are gonna be happy with 9:5:1 compressionand a hard to tune direct injection system? But thats the future and its very possible (look at VW, Mazda, GM, and Ford). It could be a great engien with an advance ECU and new technology liek variable timming and lift with direct injection and EVO owners will talk s*** because its not as easy to squeeze 500 hp. AS if 300 wasnt enough to begin with.

Whats the bigget hoopla in the EVO world? WRC EVO? HKS Hypermax evo? NO....its AMS evo....which is a drag racing/street racing evo. Must be the same reason why Carlo Sainz was spoted in a Mitsubishi EVO X commercial...yet he never raced for Mitsubishi. Someone posted it on a evo forum and they didnt know who was carlos Sainz period.

And what do you know about this new MIVEC engine? Its been pretty hush hush since day one. As far as I know it could be a totally different engine that has no relation to its partners ever since DCX decided to sell majority of its share to Goldmansacs. It maybe a cross platform engine but reality is mitsubishi's business has gone down the drain and has loss it biggest supporter (DCX). They still work on project together but certainly not as strong as last year.

have you see best motoring american tougue? What did they say...every car had super chargers and turbos pumping out crazy hp. What did Tsuchiya say? "I really think this is american tunning...putting more power in. This car has more power then GT500 cars." No one looked at the suspention period...a very differnt look over the Japanese tougue wher ethe RE ameyia RX7 was on stock turbos pumping out only 300 some HP. You would get laughed out of america if you showed up with a stock turbo RX7...even though its very capable. Peopel just want more HP so they go with bigger turbos and blow their motors and blame it on the motor because its not a 2JZ.

my friend works at titan motorsports(worlds fastest supra so they are NHRA guys) and this guy came in with a supercharged ZO6. and he said, "what would it cost to build a 7 second EVO." Titan guys were like that highly impossible since the fastest EVO is like 9 seconds. And then he said, "well thats the only reason im buying the car because someone said it could run 7s or 8s." im like...common...what about the AWD system? It just doesnt do the evo justic when I see one on a drag strip. I alwasy go up to them and say...hows that Active Yawn control working (AYC) and they say its working great....lol. Probally didnt even know what it did. And now the new EVO will have active breaking and break bias? is such a system important for drag racing?

Last edited:
I don't think people make as big a hoopla about autox or road racing on the internet because videos of a car lapping (unless you're talking an extremely fast race car) aren't as exciting as a drag race. If you live your life on streetfire.net you might think everyone only cares about drag racing, or that every car in the US is a dyno queen. But in actual road racing circles people do pay attention to the EVO. How many SCC Mags have had Time Attack EVO comparisons? Go to an open track day at the Streets of Willow Springs and see how many EVO's are there. They show up in droves.

The difference between people attending a NASCAR race vs a road race is pretty great. Most people I see at NASCAR races are there to a) get drunk and b) see a wreck. If a Monte Carlo wins the race they aren't going out to buy one. Most NASCAR fans buy trucks anyway. Most people that are at a road race are there to see some good racing, as well as to see the cars. You can't see the whole track at a road race so you stake out your favorite passing zone and wait for the cars to come by each lap. The thing is, a lot of people in autox and open track hate to get beat, and they'll do anything to win. Those are the guys that are putting their money out there for the cars. If an EVO is the fastest thing on track they're going to buy an EVO.

There are a lot of people in the US that take notice to the EVO's handling, but it all depends on the circles you hang out in. It just so happens that the internet is populated by roll racers and dyno queens.

Also, yes, DCX and Mitsu are no longer partnered. But that engine was developed jointly between the three companies and there are contracts on how much volume each company will use. The production is set up and the development is done. There's no backing out now. They have to use this engine somewhere and the Caliber/Lancer platform is the only place I see it happening. (It's not DI)

Back