The I'm taking my Protege5 Back to Stock Sale

It is with great regret that I make this post. I’m sure most of you know me or know of me, and I have greatly enjoyed my 2001 Astina SP20, but I have come to the conclusion that I will sell the car. It’s not an urgent sale, so I am using this opportunity to make a bit of extra cash through selling off the parts and returning the car to stock, and helping others wanting to get their 323 faster. Some parts will be sold outright, others will require a swap with your original part. My loss is your gain, so grab yourself some *proven* performance parts for a good price. I can fit or swap any of the parts over on to your car for a negotiated price (far cheaper than a mechanic), so please email me to discuss. I will consider selling the car as is (with all of the spares and parts I have, and I have MANY including an engine), but the price must be right, so please email to discuss if you’re serious. As parts are sold (some are gone even prior to making this post), the price for the car as is will reduce.

Ok, so here is a (small at the moment) list of the parts for sale that require a swap with your original parts:

Erebuni copy rear wing (black, so yours must be black too) - $200
TWM short shifter with custom kangaroo leather shift boot (suits the lower height of the short shifter perfectly) - $100

Here is a list of parts for sale outright, ie no swap required/wanted:

Volk TE37 (genuine btw) 15x7.5 pair of wheels (Volk TE37 bronze colour and 5x114.3 stud pattern +43 offset) with BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial 205/50/15 (apx 50% tread) - $600 (nb I will post these for sale on ozhonda in 2 weeks to give peeps with a Mazda first opportunity)
AutoXracing rear sway bar anti-clunk kit. 1 in original box - $150 (Brand new in box, never used), and a 2nd set with only 1 bushing and collar clamps (no bolts) - $110 (Brand new, never used) (nb, only works with original or original shaped sway bars, will not with whiteline sway bar, but *does* work with the racing beat bar)
Twiggy cams (the original and of course the best!) - $600 (or both head and cams for $1000, but head isn’t available right yet. Happy for you to pay the $600 now and the $400 later once the head is available)
Piston and Rod combo (Eagle H-rods from a Toyota 3sgte (customised to suit the FSDE crank), 11:1 Wiseco 83.5mm pistons – a 1.5:1 rod ratio, highest you’ll find!) - $800 (Brand new in box, never used)
Walbro fuel pump - $100 (Brand new in box, never used)
5th gear set - $150 (Brand new in box, never used)
Exedy clutch disc and spigot bearing - $50 (Brand new in box, never used)
SLS Performance engine side engine mount - $60
Custom rear strut brace (chromoly and damn strong, way stronger than the cheapo aluminium ones) - $150
Ported and polished throttle body (60mm straight through, up from the stock 57mm that reduces to 55mm) - $100

Another point to note is that if you want to swap the parts but are unable to bring them to me, ie you’re in another state/country, I’m happy to do a core swap process. I’ll post what you bought to you straight away (and you pay postage), so long as you send the swap part back to me as soon as you can. The catch is that for this to happen, I will want you to pay double the price and once I have the original in my hands I’ll refund you half. Simple.

Pictures of current parts available:

Contact me via an online post here and email twilightprotege @ iinet . net . au , just make sure you make a post here indicating you have emailed me and regarding what part so that others know what is going on just in case I cant reply on here straight away etc.

ps all prices AUD

Last edited:
sway bars and engine mounts sold pending payment. and still cant believe the twiggy cams havent gone. i thought they would have been the first thing to go

Nah. Quite a few people havnt been able to sell them easily recently. Times have changed no one goes na anymore and very few people do wild builds of the protgs anymore. It's more about stance and slammed, also without LW or yourself posting on the forums much people don't really know about them.

just so everyone is aware, they will work on an FI engine, you just need cam gears to dial them in (ie close the overlap)

would anyone know if i'd still pass smog in california if i installed these sticks? also, no need for cam gears if used in NA, right?

no idea about smog, but no need for cam gears if NA - i was running these in my car with my cam gears set at 0-0

Friendly post/bump - I've driven this car various times over its life, and there are some really good parts for sale here at very good prices.

The cams are very nice... the GB cams were based on these and had slightly more overlap and a more agressive ramp rate. These original 'prototype' cams produce great power, are ALOT easier to live with than the GB twiggy cams (overlap is more in tune with where you'd want it in the first place on a 'mild' street build)

The GB cams are still the most badass cams money can buy, but these get around alot of the common complaints about idle RPM, cold starts, and below 4k RPM lethargy by being ever so slightly more passive and geared to fast street usage.

Having driven a couple of cars with the GB cams (my own, and others), and driven Twiggy's car on long drives interstate for racing duties I can tell you that these cams are much easier to live with on a day to day basis, and still kick like a mule in the midrange. He's being very kind on the asking price for these, as they are truely one off/one of a kind cams.

Also the BBK is f*cking amazing. If i had the dough i'd be all over this.

Last edited:
Friendly post/bump - I've driven this car various times over its life, and there are some really good parts for sale here at very good prices.

The cams are very nice... the GB cams were based on these and had slightly more overlap and a more agressive ramp rate. These original 'prototype' cams produce great power, are ALOT easier to live with than the GB twiggy cams (overlap is more in tune with where you'd want it in the first place on a 'mild' street build)

The GB cams are still the most badass cams money can buy, but these get around alot of the common complaints about idle RPM, cold starts, and below 4k RPM lethargy by being ever so slightly more passive and geared to fast street usage.

Having driven a couple of cars with the GB cams (my own, and others), and driven Twiggy's car on long drives interstate for racing duties I can tell you that these cams are much easier to live with on a day to day basis, and still kick like a mule in the midrange. He's being very kind on the asking price for these, as they are truely one off/one of a kind cams.

Also the BBK is f*cking amazing. If i had the dough i'd be all over this.

this, totally. surprised the cams are not gone yet.

still love your cams. TY again for doing that group buy in the past.

sad to see your 323 go, twiggy

Nice to see you back on the forum twiggy........... I remember the cam origional order days ;). Sucks to see you going back to stock but it is defiently nice to see you around again!!

Rob

BTW LordWorm took good care of you after you left :)

BTW I hated having to sell my twiggy cams.......... Money was tight and if it still wasn't tight still I would buy these in a second!! (US Military E-6 does not make that much $ to spend on cams). But I did finally get my car running again after 4 years ;)

Rob

LW i do recall more than once. there was the time or was it 2 times in a row while going through scrutineering at the drag meet? lmao

spoiler is still for sale, but postage to the us is going to be *A LOT*. if you can work out a cheap way to post it and to get your spoiler (black) back to me, go for it. my zip in aus is 4053. The spoiler weighs apx 4.5kg when packed, is 130cm long, 20cm heigh and 40cm deep max.

Temporarily stickied for a long-time Member who has contributed a ton to the Community and is well liked by all...Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us and best of luck to you in the future, Twiggy!

Back