the fun begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyp86

:
mazda,protege5,2003 5-speed
hey everyone whats up, well im back into the upgrading my p5 again, im just looking to do bolt ons for now, im looking for power gains, but not trying to spead a crap load of money on one part at a time. can you guys give me ideas and point me in the dirstion of cheap parts( not dirt cheap) lol.

only thing to get noticeable gains without breaking the bank sadly is boost, all N/A mods will cost way more in the long run and you will barely see anything, especially bolt ons

only thing to get noticeable gains without breaking the bank sadly is boost, all N/A mods will cost way more in the long run and you will barely see anything, especially bolt ons

I agree here. Go turbo or don't bother. Our motors don't react as well as you would think to engine mods while staying N/A. For as much money as I've spent, I wish I would've just gone turbo.

However if you don't want the headache of a turbo, I'd start with the MP3 ECU swap. Assuming you have a 5speed and don't mind running 93 octane fuel. There is a member selling them on here for $250 (+$100 core for your old ECU). Best mod I've done to my P5 and well worth the money. Everything else just will make your car louder and just a little bit quicker.

right now i have an ingen cold air intake, catback exhaust, ploy mounts( the smaller two 95 douo) short shifter, alymuinm flywheel and stage 2 clutch from spec, cross drilled slotted rotors. i would love to turbo my car but thats too much money at once to throw out.

which header is a good brand but wont break the bank? cause i know my cat is startin t get clogged

What about converting to FS-ZE? You can get the two camshafts for $180 each. $360 + shipping for a 40 HP increase.

obx is really the only option sort of, its the easiest to get a hold of assuming ken ships it out within the same month.... which is basically how it is, he just orders it straight from OBX. other then that you might have to do some hardcore searching or buy used. not much stuff made for our cars

you will also need the ecu...That was already talked in another thread. And the conclusion was that it was not worth it.

Spooled Up Racing header (OBX clone and what I have, pretty happy with the results and great price.) or go baller with AUTOEXE.

Don't buy that cheap s*** on eBay or the welds will crack and you'll post another thread asking for help like everyone else.

Question.... i have an automatic. =[ should i even bother doing anything. lol i was thinking OBX headers and Intake. im well aware that without going turbo, these cars are not fast... hell even with a turbo they arent that fast either... (sorry guys )

sorry but i completely disagree. when i first got my car and only had exhaust i would dump it to 3rd going bout 60 and would hardly feel anything, then i put header and intake and did the same thing and it pull way harder. With those three mods i would get spankd by civics with b16s and GSRs. Recently i installed cams, lightened crank pulley, and removed vcts and now i can pull b16s and keep up with GSRs. I plan on ordering cam gears, lightened flywheel, clutch, and mp3 ecu and im pretty sure that will make even more of a difference. so idk

Well here's a sad story for ya;

AEM cold air intake, VTCS removed, ported/polished intake manifold, Spooled^Racing header, Corksport header back catless exhaust, MP3 ECU = 115whp. So let's add up the cost

intake = $250
VTCS and port/polish = $40
header = $200
exhaust = $450
ECU = $250

So about $1200 spent to achieve 115whp.

That's sad. Mazdas 2.0 liter DOHC just wouldn't keep up with a Hondas 2.0 DOHC in stock condition. These cars just aren't fast. Unless you boost them or like you, put some serious money into an N/A build, and even still, you're spending much more money. It's best to buy a sports car.

sorry but i completely disagree. when i first got my car and only had exhaust i would dump it to 3rd going bout 60 and would hardly feel anything, then i put header and intake and did the same thing and it pull way harder. With those three mods i would get spankd by civics with b16s and GSRs. Recently i installed cams, lightened crank pulley, and removed vcts and now i can pull b16s and keep up with GSRs. I plan on ordering cam gears, lightened flywheel, clutch, and mp3 ecu and im pretty sure that will make even more of a difference. so idk

yeah but with all that money you spend, and plan on spending you could have boosted and had from 170-260 hp at the flywheel, and if you havent gotten the car dynoed id say its more of the butt dyno then real gains. plus a b16 has no torque, you have them off the line to begin with its staying there that would be the problem.

Boost is your best bet.
Just like going n/a your going to spend lots of money over time.
Just put together a turbo setup piece by piece for +/- a couple hundreds and get way better results.

As for a n/a protege with bolt on keeping up with a gsr. I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back