Test pipe / Race pipe - worth it?

Wurf

:
2010 CX9 Blue
I'm debating a TP for spring as a mod to add more power. I'm currently stock save for my HT and a RMM. In the spring each year, I put my CAI back on the car and configure the tune with the HT. I'm debating putting a TP on the car but not sure it's worth the effort and expense for the power gained.

Thanks for replies and opinions on it.
Car has 37k on it and is an 09. No smoke or other problems and I don't want any!

It is worth it but junk that HT and get a Cobb AP. The test pipe will let you run a Stage 2 map if you have the upgraded fuel pump internals.

It is worth it but junk that HT and get a Cobb AP. The test pipe will let you run a Stage 2 map if you have the upgraded fuel pump internals.

Junk the HT?
Thanks for the feedback on the TP.
I'm sufficiently familiar with the differences between the two tuning solutions and all the opinions, arguments about which is better, makes more power, is more capable, is more safe, and all the threads that eventually devolve into pissing matches and snarky debate. I appreciate your feedback all the same man.

AP guys seem a bit insecure, almost always knocking a product they have never used, so OP is right in basically ignoring the efforts to hijack the thread. A lot of us run HT and are very happy with the results. I've posted my results (data logs and Virtual Dyno) all over the boards as well as a video of a 40-120 mph WOT run.

I've not seen an AP equipped car with similar mods on the stock K04 turbo and pump gas do much better and a lot of AP logs that are worse.
Now, taking us back to OP's question: the answer is yes, he can run the test pipe without upgrading his pump internals if he has a gen 1 car.

Last edited:
I'm debating a TP for spring as a mod to add more power. I'm currently stock save for my HT and a RMM. In the spring each year, I put my CAI back on the car and configure the tune with the HT. I'm debating putting a TP on the car but not sure it's worth the effort and expense for the power gained.

Thanks for replies and opinions on it.
Car has 37k on it and is an 09. No smoke or other problems and I don't want any!

Yes, you should put a Test Pipe on your car. The HT will help tune the computer according once the TP is installed. I have installed a CorkSport TP, Mazdaspeed CAI, and HT tune with no issues. Plus, I love the sound when going wide-open throttle.

I would agree, but I had a race pipe before internals and was just fine. Downpipe, definitely. And at very VERY least, a way to monitor fuel pressure.

I would not say you need internals with just a test pipe, downpipe yes but not test pipe. I am running intake, tip, and test pipe with no problems. That being said every car is different so you need to monitor.

CS Race Pipe and CS Full intake was the first mods done to my car and worth every penny, i also had a Dash Hawk and monitored everything and the car was super happy. Went with a Hypertech to start in the tuning world and loved it but 6 months or so after i needed fuel pump internals. some guys are ok with there stock pumps and some are not, but i think internals should be first on the list no matter what. i soon outgrew the Hypertech with my mods and went to the Cobb AP and custom tune and WOW!! but the testpipe or racepipe was well worth it in my mind.

I would not say you need internals with just a test pipe, downpipe yes but not test pipe. I am running intake, tip, and test pipe with no problems. That being said every car is different so you need to monitor.

hmm. $350 to pretty much guarantee you won't have fuel pump issues.....or risk blowing your motor. Seems like a dumb idea NOT to go with internals now, doesn't it?

If someone chooses not to then that is of course their choice. If you are monitoring I dont see what it would hurt. I agree internals are an important thing to get but I dont agree with people saying you need to have them with an aftermarket upgrade. It just depends on the car.

Again. It's $350 for motor insurance, basically. Choosing not to get one is foolhardy, and we've seen enough people b**** and moan after popping a motor when they were told to get internals and didn't, that it's simply no excuse anymore.

People could choose to jump off a bridge...still not a good idea.

It may not be a bad idea to jump off a bridge, all depends on circumstances. I am agreeing that you should get internals, I just wouldnt get the car and the first mod I do is internals. My car is running fine without em, knock on wood, and until I see my car run a little off I will continue to run without them. That or until I decide to go downpipe.

I have a full ATP catless downpipe with A sure SRI and COB TIP and have no fuel problems it makes a big difference. I have had it for about 8 months now and haven't had any problems. At the same time before I do anything else I will get the FP internals so I wont run into issues. Bottom line is sooner or later you will need the internals or wish you had them. For everyone that is saying you must have the internals before any dp are just looking out for you. If your scared about it then get the FP internals and then a full DP.

Last edited:
I've been running with a test pipe for about 50k miles and no problems. 20-30k or so have been with a HT tuner. Stock FP internals and my car runs pig rich all the time. Black soot all over the exhaust before and after the race pipe.

My sig list is chronological so that test pipe went in somewhere around 2009.

Last edited:
Back