Test drove a speed6 and have a few questions

deadstock

I think i got the mod bug
So I test drove a speed6 overnight and I gotta say it drives very well. It has 32,000kms or just under 20,000mi but I have a few concerns. From a dead stop if i put the car into 1st, I feel a really faint "thud", as if the 1st gear is somewhat overweight. Secondly, when I'm cruising along, I hear, again very faintly, whining coming from the back, as if it's wind noise but, I don't know, could sound like a whining diff? Has any owner encountered anything like this and have any input? I'd just like to know if this is all normal or if it's something I should be concerned about?

the rear diff mount is very weak, so you may want to check and make sure that the diff and rear axle are in good shape.

I have the "thud" you mentioned. from a stop, not everytime but occationally, when engaging first gear, I hear/feel something similar to what an automatic sounds/feels like when going from park to drive. Don't know if it shoud do that, but I don't have any other tranny or clutch issues.

Yeah that's exactly what I felt too, even with the clutch fully pressed in. It happens sometimes but not all the time. Other than that though, the car drives really nice. Weird?

Some whining is normal with a rear diff, it has to do with the way the gears are made. You will generally notice it at a certain speed (in my Speed6 it is around 45-50). Everyone knew this when we had mostly RWD cars on the road, but as most cars have been FWD for years that knowledge was lost.

I had a similar issue when I drove on the factory spare once which was a little low on air itself. Could be something as simple as unevenly worn tires or one of the rear tires has less air in it than the other. AWD cars are very picky about the diameter of all four wheels being as close to identical as possible.

Back