Test Drove a 2017 GT FWD this afternoon!

I can't wait to test drive the 2017 diesel CX-5. I'm sorry, people here are probably tired of seeing me post that line LOL.

My wife has been spoiled by the blind spot monitors on our CX-5. She will not consider a car without BSM. I think she will especially like the HUD. I know I will.

I can't wait to test drive the 2017 diesel CX-5. I'm sorry, people here are probably tired of seeing me post that line LOL.

My wife has been spoiled by the blind spot monitors on our CX-5. She will not consider a car without BSM. I think she will especially like the HUD. I know I will.

I'm excited myself as well. Never been a fan of diesel vehicles, but I could learn and consider one. RCTA is probably my favorite safety feature on the CX5. The way people speed through parking lots, this has been soo helpful. I always look behind me but at any second, some speeder can come out of nowhere. The CX5 always catches the car. It is so cool.

4) The user interface is familiar and much improved. I don't know what is responsible (upgraded hardware, in-car network, and/or software) but the systems (e.g., the multi-information display and Mazda Connect) respond much more quickly! The slow response of the CR-V's infotainment was readily apparent compared with that of the new CX-5. There are aspects of the CR-V that feel unfinished (like it was rushed to sale); this isn't the case with the new CX-5.

View attachment 216205View attachment 216206View attachment 216207

Any thoughts on the boot up time of the infotainment system? It was one of my complains about my 2016 Mazda3. I've never seen a slower time until the UI was responsive then on a Mazda. I was measuring it in the 10-30 second range depending on what was last used (Maps/fuel econ tracker, etc), how long the car was off, etc. It was one of the few nip picks I had about Mazda.

I just wish the dang thing wasn't going to come out at the end of the year. :\ I would be all over that engine.\

EDIT: Never mind. Going to test drive one right now. =D

Dealer called 20 minutes after this post. They have 5 2017 S grand tourings in stock that came in this morning.

Last edited:
My wife has been spoiled by the blind spot monitors on our CX-5. She will not consider a car without BSM.

Same here. My wife absolutely will not get another car without BSM. I actually tend to agree too. As a matter of fact Honda agrees too as it ditched Lane Watch. Hmm I wonder why?

BSM in Mazda's are driver centric in that the light indicator is on the correct side mirror containing the unkown traffic condition. You keep focus on the road and merely glance at a light indicator for a split second with minimal thought. The beeping alert also allows you to be informed while looking forward.

Sigh, I love all these features on the new 17, but I still find the exterior markedly uglier than the first-gen. Really don't like how it got chromed up and I find the lack of "swoop" disturbing. Eh? Eh? :)

Still, thank you for this post. I eventually might come around to the look. Especially interested in seeing how the diesels turn out. I still want to see one in person and maybe take it for a spin.

I think the white color works best with the 2017 wheels. Really looks sharp in white.

I'm excited myself as well. Never been a fan of diesel vehicles, but I could learn and consider one. RCTA is probably my favorite safety feature on the CX5. The way people speed through parking lots, this has been soo helpful. I always look behind me but at any second, some speeder can come out of nowhere. The CX5 always catches the car. It is so cool.
The only tech bit I really wanted was the BSM. But the rear cross traffic thing? Coupled with the rearview camera? Really freaking awesome and has come in handy quite a bit. Love this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I found it to be much-improved in the 2017. The boot time, responsiveness to commands, etc., seem much better than those of the 2016 CX-5 and that of the annoyingly-laggy system on the 2017 CR-V.

Any thoughts on the boot up time of the infotainment system? It was one of my complains about my 2016 Mazda3. I've never seen a slower time until the UI was responsive then on a Mazda. I was measuring it in the 10-30 second range depending on what was last used (Maps/fuel econ tracker, etc), how long the car was off, etc. It was one of the few nip picks I had about Mazda.

The only tech bit I really wanted was the BSM. But the rear cross traffic thing? Coupled with the rearview camera? Really freaking awesome and has come in handy quite a bit. Love this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yeah, the rear traffic alert is awesome, only wish my miata came with it too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back