Test driving a Mazda6 Diesel in March

DKaz

:
2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT
I got an invite to test drive a Mazda 6 Skyactiv Diesel next month at a local regional airport that's home to several autocross clubs. Should be fun, I'll keep everyone posted. :)

Very exciting to hear, and I for one am damned jealous... see if you can't wheedle any info about them bringing out diesels in other vehicles!

Congrats man! Make sure to bring a camera and take some pics so you can show us!

Post another thread after you've driven it and tell everyone how it drives! I'm chomping at the bit to see!

Wow, very jealous. Would love to be invited to one of those events. Is there a reason why you were specifically chosen? I would really be interested to try one out.

Have fun!

They don't typically supply MT vehicles for these types of events, I went to a similar event for the Scion FRS and it was all automatics. Still, I'm quite excited about it.

I have to state off the bat that the Diesel model was MIA for undisclosed reasons. :(

null-10.jpg

So on Saturday morning I was at the airport in Pitt Meadows, BC at a Mazda 6 event. This was originally an event for the Mazda 6 Skyactiv Diesel that will be released late this year, but somehow the model became unavailable for the event. They proceeded with the event anyway with the Skyactiv-G model and I glad I came out anyway, because test driving these cars in this manner would get me banned from most dealers.

null-7.jpg

We started off with this high speed course with a slalom, lane change, long radius turn, a decreasing radius turn followed by another short radius turn, one more hairpin S curve, then an acceleration zone before a braking zone.

The 6 was a fun and agile car for a midsize. I never drove the previous generations before but this car was confident the entire way in the high speed course. A buddy I was with pushed that car hard and I was extremely amazed how well it handled the high speed course. Of course you get that superb Mazda steering weight and feel. This is the first time I tested the Skyactiv Automatic transmission and in automatic mode, it was responsive with good quick shifts and little delay when I pressed on the gas. I'd probably still go for a manual but good to know that Mazda has built a very good automatic transmission. Great seats. The backseat was comfy as well and those seat belts provided good lateral support when it was my turn to record lol.

The Passat was terrible. I was terrified in the passenger seat and being in the driver seat didn't help much. There were tremendous amounts of body roll and while braking the thing dove forward like Brad Marchand. The only redeeming quality of the Passat is the limo like rear seat and that classy analog clock on the middle of the dash, but VW sure has become the Toyota of German cars. Note, I think it was a 2.5L gasoline engine, but I wonder since originally the Mazda 6 Skyactiv Diesel was supposed to be in this test drive.

The Optima was pretty nice. The car is front heavy but it went through the course with surprising agility, exhibiting a bit more understeer than the 6 and the steering was a bit heavy but it very good otherwise. We turned TC off as we were advised that Kia's traction control system is very intrusive. The car exhibited the most amount of wheel hop and to be honest I didn't feel the turbo, but maybe I was expecting a kick similar to the Saab 9-3 Aero's 2.8L V6 Turbo. Still, this was easily a better car than the Passat and just a few steps behind the 6.

null-9.jpg

This was the low speed course. When we had a 6 in this course, the first thing they did was accelerate another Mazda 6 they had side by side to show off the blind spot monitoring feature. It worked. This was followed by two tight curves which we were supposed to take slow but really we didn't, then simulated potholes, bumps, and a couple of speed bump.

The 6 felt composed the entire way through, the turns were no problem, and while the bumps and potholes could be felt through Mazda's signature suspension system and 19" tires, it was nothing terrible really. The Accord and Fusion were the cars for this low speed course. The Accord handled similar to the 6 although the steering feel just didn't match the 6. The bug eyed speedometer bugged me. The seats were nice but the interior felt a bit downscale. The Fusion's handling was disappointingly sloppy given that the first two generations shared the same platform as the Mazda 6, and this was the low speed course! Lots of body roll. I commented that even with the soft suspension, the Fusion really didn't absorb the bumps and potholes any better than the 6 and Accord. The seats were comfy when we first got in but we were falling off with the lack of bolsters and slippery leather surface. The only redeeming quality was the peppy and powerful little 1.6L turbo engine. The interior is much better than the 2nd gen, but not as nice as a 1st gen SEL.

I never saw myself owning a midsize car until today, that car would be the Mazda 6. The Optima wouldn't be a bad choice too if I didn't have to go with a base model to get a manual. The Accord is ok and is better priced than the 6 feature for feature. The Passat and Fusion used to be at the top of my family sedan list and now they're at the bottom. For shame.

Here's a video of me driving the 6:

Here's my buddy:

Thanks for posting up about it, sounds like it would be fun to spend a day driving all of the cars.

-Derrick

Was there as well.
it was lots of fun :) too bad the Turbo Diesel was not available..

Back