Test Drive: 2010 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
With the EcoBoost motor for 2010, Ford's versatile <NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_1_0>Flex </NOBR>delivers everything for everyone.

2010fordflexhome_rdax_646x258.jpg

Dinner conversation with friends who know what I do for a living, or with strangers who learn that Im an automotive journalist, usually begin with "Why can't American car companies build fuel efficient vehicles?" or "Why can't they build quality vehicles, or innovative vehicles, or fun vehicles, or vehicles I'd want to own?" And almost invariably, these questions come from folks who haven't owned an American car for at least 10 years, and haven't even driven one in a decade or more.

<TABLE class=table_right border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8 width=300 align=right itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD bgColor=#192a33 itxtvisited="1">FAST FACTS

</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD bgColor=#2c4b5b itxtvisited="1">1. All-wheel drive versions of the Flex come exclusively with the same 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 as found in the SHO, making 355-hp and 350 ft-lbs of torque. 2. Fuel economy is the same as the standard V6 engine (with AWD) at 16/22 mpg (city/hwy).
3. Flex models start at $28,550, with the EcoBoost versions priced from $40,090.
4. The Flex can be had as a six or seven seater with either two second-row captains chairs or a three-seat bench.
5. Cargo room starts at 20 cu.-ft. behind the third row, expands to 43 cu.-ft. with those seats folded flat and a total of 83 cu.-ft. with the second row flat.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My standard response is that American car manufacturers do in fact make quality, fuel efficient cars that are innovative, technically sophisticated, and fun to drive. And they do stack up to anything that Japanese and European manufacturers build. But if you dont take the time to shop American cars and test-drive them, youll never know it, and youre cheating yourself if you pass them by without consideration.
After spending a week with the 2010 Ford Flex Limited AWD model, with the powerful EcoBoost engine, it just reinforced my opinion of American cars.
The Ford <NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_10_0>Flex </NOBR>crossover was introduced last year with one engine, a 3.5-liter V6, which puts out 262-hp at 6250 rpm and 248 ft-lbs of torque at 4000 rpm. It has adequate power and gets a very respectable 16 mpg city, and 22 mpg highway, in the all-wheel-drive version.
This year, Ford is offering the optional EcoBoost 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6, which puts out a strong 355-hp at 5700 rpm and 350 ft-lbs of torque at only 3500 rpm. And despite the added power, the gas mileage is exactly the same as the non-aspirated engine, although I actually managed to get 24 mpg highway. Plus, it takes non-premium fuel.
If Ford had used a V8 to get the same horsepower and torque numbers, it probably would have cut gas mileage by 25 to 30 percent. So the EcoBoost lives up to its name.
LOTS OF POWER FOR ACCELERATION OR TOWING

10Flex-EcoBoost_14.jpg

The EcoBoost motor is a brilliant powerplant that motivates the 4,800 lb. Flex from zero to 60 in just under 7 seconds. And with a very flat torque curve, there is always plenty of immediate power at you right foot to make a pass on two-lane roads, or scoot easily onto the highway. Plus, theres even enough left-over power to tow up to 4,500 lbs with the optional towing package, which includes a trailer sway control system that helps the driver keep the vehicle in a straight line when towing a trailer in crosswinds.

The 6-speed transmission is basically the same, except that it has been beefed up for the added horsepower, and it ads a manual mode with dual paddle shifters on the steering wheel. It also has a hill descent feature for using engine braking while towing or just traveling down steep grades.
The suspension has been tweaked with stiffer springs and revised shock settings with a slightly lower stance. It gives the Flex a firm feel in the curves, but isnt harsh. There is some body lean in turns, but with the wheels pushed out to the edges of the vehicle, the Flex feels stable and not at all top heavy. For a vehicle of this size and weight, it is remarkably nimble. The electric power assisted steering is another upgrade from the standard models, but feedback can be a bit vague.

<CENTER itxtvisited="1">
10FlexEcoBoost_30.jpg

</CENTER>

Overall the ride quality is luxurious and the Flex handles quite well. The all-wheel-drive model, which is the only way the EcoBoost version is available, is seamless, and will provide excellent traction in the wet and snow. My test car had the optional 20-inch wheels, which added to the sporty ride as well as the crossovers appearance.
WELL-APPOINTED CABIN WITH ROOM FOR SIX, OR SEVEN

My test car was the Limited model, so it had the more upscale interior. Everything is very well laid out in the vehicle, with the Nav system, radio and heating controls nicely placed in the center stack. The Nav screen is large, and puts a lot of useful information around the perimeter of the screen when the map is displayed, such as the time, radio station, outside temperature, etc. And it is a snap to input addresses. And with Fords Sync System, you can control many features of the Nav system along with the phone and audio controls by speaking commands, instead of punching a lot of buttons, striking a blow against distracted driving.
Adjustable brake and gas pedals are another nice standard feature, which allows shorter drivers to reach the pedals comfortably without having to sit with the steering wheel in your lap. And the steering wheel tilts and telescopes this year, to make the seating position even more comfortable for any size driver.

<CENTER itxtvisited="1">
10Flex-EcoBoost_12.jpg

</CENTER>

There is handsome wood trim on the dash, door panels, and above the gauge package in front of the driver. The leather and wood trimmed steering wheel feels great in your hands and has redundant controls for the cruise control and audio package.

The leather seats are spacious and comfortable, and they heat up in seconds. After a few minutes you have to either dial down the heat, or crack open an egg and fry it. There is a lot of storage between the door panels, glove box, and the large center console that has a USB port, Aux. plug, a 12-volt outlet, and a silly switch that changes the LED light colors for the footwell lighting and the lights around the dual cup holders.
There are climate controls for second row passengers as well as a 110-volt and 12-volt power outlets, along with a large pull out storage bin and cup holders, and bottle holders in the door pockets.

The main thing you notice about the cabin is how spacious it is. There is abundant headroom for all three rows of seats and legroom is limousine-like for the front and second row. And those second row seats, (my test car had two separate second row seats rather than a three-seat bench) slide fore and aft. That feature comes in handy and makes this the first three-row vehicle Ive been in that actually has plenty of legroom for two adults to sit comfortably in that last row. And even when the second-row passengers slide their seats forward, they still have ample legroom. Plus, all seats fold flat for ample cargo room and easy access.

With the third row in place there is 20 cu.-ft. of space and a deep well for luggage and groceries. That row can be folded flush into the well for a flat cargo floor and 43 cu.-ft of space. Fold down the second row of seats and you can fill up the Flex with 83 cu.-ft. of cargo. Now you know why they named the vehicle Flex because it offers the owner the flexibility to carry from 2 to 7 passengers or lots of gear for camping or hauling large items with ease.
LIKE A SCION xB, BUT ALL GROWN UP

<CENTER itxtvisited="1">
10FlexEcoBoost_25.jpg

</CENTER>

Looking at the Flex from the outside, youd think somebody took the tiny boxy Honda Element, Scion xB and Kia Soul and combined them to make one big boxy vehicle. But the styling easily grew on me with all the horizontal lines from the three-bar chrome grill, to the grooved door panels. The contrasting white roof caps the all-black chopped side and back greenhouse windows, which blend into the high-waisted doors and fenders. It makes the Flex appear much smaller than it really is. Even with the optional 20-inch wheels, the Flex looks hunkered down. If Tonka wanted to make a mean looking, hot-rod toy truck, it would look like this.
The starting MSRP for the Flex is $28,550 for the base SE front-wheel-drive version, $31,350 for the up-model SEL, and $37,220 for the luxury Limited model. All-wheel-drive is available as an option on the SEL and Limited. My test car was the 6-passenger EcoBoost Limited and the base price was $42,010. Add $700 for the white roof and Candy Red Metallic paint, $750 for the dual second row seats, and $750 for the 20-inch wheels and tires and you get a bottom line of $45,590 with destination charge.
THE VERDICT

The Ford Flex in the Limited AWD EcoBoost trim is larger than most crossovers, gets better fuel mileage, has more power than others, and has a truly usable third row. You get a luxury ride, roomy cabin and excellent fit and finish. It can haul a lot of gear inside, and tow a 4,500lb trailer. And it looks good doing it. Anyone looking for a high mileage, versatile crossover vehicle that is fun to drive, should stop by a Ford dealer to check this model out.

Im not a buy American guy. I believe that car shoppers should buy the vehicle that best suits their needs and requirements regardless of the manufacturer. But too many people are still hung up on old stereotypes about American cars, and they do themselves a disservice if they dont check them out to help make a more informed purchase decision. Have you driven a Ford lately?

<CENTER itxtvisited="1">
10FlexEcoBoost_18.jpg

</CENTER>
[autoguide]

ive seen alot of Flexes...alot more than i ever thought they'd sell...

Havent seen any Ecoboost flexes, but if they sell half as well as the dozens of Taurus SHOs i see trolling around town...i think Ford won... lol

I don't see the appeal, but apparently the carbuying public does. Ford Flex: Scion xB's longer, lower, wider brother.

I don't see the appeal, but apparently the carbuying public does. Ford Flex: Scion xB's longer, lower, wider brother.

Just ask the people who buy the xB, Element, Soul, and Cube en masse...i dont get the appeal of a shoebox on wheels

Not a good comparo. You are comparing a Van with a high performance SAV.

0.o the Flex is exactly the same...no matter how you wanna spin things mikey...

Flex = CUV in box form
X6 = CUV in Sexy Bimmer form...

I'm pretty sure Ford came to the realization that offering the Flex in FWD seemed pretty ridiculous. A car like that with all that weight with only the front wheels to pull it along (in the snow for example) wouldn't be good. So AWD became a requirement, but that's not also to say the car wouldn't benefit from more power. So, enter the EcoBoost v6. Why not have more power if you can maintain the same gas mileage as the lesser v6?

I'm pretty sure Ford came to the realization that offering the Flex in FWD seemed pretty ridiculous. A car like that with all that weight with only the front wheels to pull it along (in the snow for example) wouldn't be good. So AWD became a requirement, but that's not also to say the car wouldn't benefit from more power. So, enter the EcoBoost v6. Why not have more power if you can maintain the same gas mileage as the lesser v6?

(mj) preach brotha preach (mj)

I've seen my fair share of large vehicles getting stuck in the city streets covered in snow (or plaza entrances) to know...it's not fun watching these boats get beached over the lightest rough weather, while my 3,000 lb car with winter treads just tears through it all!

I remember seeing a Chrysler Concorde trying to enter an uphill plaza in a heavy snow storm and it literally beached like a whale half way up the entrance. 20 minutes later, she was still trying to spin her tires...

I kind of want this thing. I've got two kids, dogs, and live in the snow belt. This might be the best way I've seen to get 3 usable rows (in case anyone other than the kids and us wanted to ride in the car), lots of cargo space, and AWD in one package without absolutely horrible fuel economy. Yeah, basically it's an AWD minivan without sliding doors, but it's a lot cooler than a Sienna (the only other way to combine minivan + AWD) and the EcoBoost makes it WAY more fun. What's not to get? (dunno)

I always told myself, if I had the money, and had to get a larger, family-oriented car that could be fun, that the Ecoboost Flex would be my choice.

First mod, BPV's! Nothing like picking up the kids and revving up the engine a few times lol.

I always told myself, if I had the money, and had to get a larger, family-oriented car that could be fun, that the Ecoboost Flex would be my choice.

First mod, BPV's! Nothing like picking up the kids and revving up the engine a few times lol.

and making all the kids laugh at ya cause you havent grown out of Fast and the Furious?

jk jk

I'll never have kids, but have dogs...I would love to see an ecoboost edge :) that'd be my choice

I kind of want this thing. I've got two kids, dogs, and live in the snow belt. This might be the best way I've seen to get 3 usable rows (in case anyone other than the kids and us wanted to ride in the car), lots of cargo space, and AWD in one package without absolutely horrible fuel economy. Yeah, basically it's an AWD minivan without sliding doors, but it's a lot cooler than a Sienna (the only other way to combine minivan + AWD) and the EcoBoost makes it WAY more fun. What's not to get? (dunno)
I need to show my wife this post.

Does the Flex have a flat floor (ie, no driveshaft or transmission hump like regular SUV's)? My wife is insisting on a newer, bigger vehicle for kids (and dog) down the line, but she hates minivans and therefore wants an SUV or CUV. I personally hate SUV's (but could drive a minivan) but think we need something with the capability to seat 6 or 7 with moderate cargo space and a flat floor (for more storage space and room for the dog). The only two options I see right now are the Mazda5 (small) and the Ford Flex (kind of ugly). Of course, she hates both of these...

and making all the kids laugh at ya cause you havent grown out of Fast and the Furious?

jk jk

I'll never have kids, but have dogs...I would love to see an ecoboost edge :) that'd be my choice

When the MKT's were testing here in MI, I had one blow past me and I heard the BPV through the stock airbox as he let off. So..i'll just amplify it a little lol.

I'll bet those things are going to be a hoot to tune. They've already got SHO's running pretty quick in the 1/4.

As I do happen to grow up, i'm starting to appreciate versatility in my "cool" cars. I used to only care about how the car looked on the outside, and if it were a sedan or coupe. Now, i'm edging more towards out-of-the-box styles that are also useful in all purposes.

Edge..bleugh...CX-7 over the Edge any day. The car is so soft it's not even funny. CX-7 hauls way better balls than the Edge.

Edge..bleugh...CX-7 over the Edge any day. The car is so soft it's not even funny. CX-7 hauls way better balls than the Edge.
Apples to sauerkraut...

Same power, same fuel economy but the Edge seats 6 or 7, can tow 4500 lbs with the tow package and has an available turbocharged V6 engine capable of making 300+ hp. What can the CX-7 say to that?

Apples to sauerkraut...

Same power, same fuel economy but the Edge seats 6 or 7, can tow 4500 lbs with the tow package and has an available turbocharged V6 engine capable of making 300+ hp. What can the CX-7 say to that?

Thats what i was thinking, Ecoboost Edge > CX7 :)

Oh and the Edge sits 5...no 3rd row

Back