TEIN-SS Install Ideas

ok, so if i remove this dust boot, i will have no more clicking sounds at all correct? and this vertical rod thing got me kinda confused, what is it used for and how often does it need replacement? im seriously considering these...i WAS gonna get hp's and tein stechs..but this is like all the suspension ill ever need.. i'll be saving in the long run...convince me!!

dust boot is the little plastic round thing you see on 2 of the coilovers (only on the front)

That is the main clicking in mine although brian mentioned another thing that will click if you dont replace it every time you take it apart and I think I might need to do something with that also.

I would definitely reccomend these.

And if it is any consolation with removing the dust boot, JICs dont even come with them. If you use them they will increase the longevity of the coilover and TEIN could possibly void the one year warranty on them if they break due to wear caused by the dust jackets being removed, but no one else even has a 1 year warranty to begin with and I dont think 1 year worth of wear could damage these even without the dust thingies.

I am thinking of trying ot come up with a better dust covet for them since it makes sense to use one......btw, these black ones that come with em are crap anyways, they are like a 2.5" tube going around the shock which is like 1.5" or something. so there is a solid .5" of gap between the dust jacket and the shock anyways for dust to get in...

slug420 said:
dust boot is the little plastic round thing you see on 2 of the coilovers (only on the front)

That is the main clicking in mine although brian mentioned another thing that will click if you dont replace it every time you take it apart and I think I might need to do something with that also.

I would definitely reccomend these.

And if it is any consolation with removing the dust boot, JICs dont even come with them. If you use them they will increase the longevity of the coilover and TEIN could possibly void the one year warranty on them if they break due to wear caused by the dust jackets being removed, but no one else even has a 1 year warranty to begin with and I dont think 1 year worth of wear could damage these even without the dust thingies.

I am thinking of trying ot come up with a better dust covet for them since it makes sense to use one......btw, these black ones that come with em are crap anyways, they are like a 2.5" tube going around the shock which is like 1.5" or something. so there is a solid .5" of gap between the dust jacket and the shock anyways for dust to get in...
YP5TO had said that there was a rubber one available from Tein. Becasue they are together now, I'm leaving them without the boot, but I'm sure that if someone has them just sitting in the house waiting to go on, something could be designed like a rubber cover???

BTW: If the boot was installed on your car, you can take it off with a sharp knife and some perseverance...

******* Update!!!

(glare)

Attachments

• TEIN-SS.jpg
    TEIN-SS.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 250
Tein has an updated part for that plastic dust boot on the front shocks. It looks similar to the one on the rear shocks. The part number is SAP24-A8778 they are $12 each retail. I'd rather spend a little time and money to do it right. Also from speaking to the R&D manager at TeinUSA, you can trim you bumbstops to a minimum of 12mm.

Great info. I have left the bumpstop as it was for my install and have replaced the dust boot with a large round flat washer made out of a poly-u rubber.

mazda808 said:
Tein has an updated part for that plastic dust boot on the front shocks. It looks similar to the one on the rear shocks. The part number is SAP24-A8778 they are $12 each retail. I'd rather spend a little time and money to do it right. Also from speaking to the R&D manager at TeinUSA, you can trim you bumbstops to a minimum of 12mm.

Anyone know where you can purchase the updated rubber dust boot? Mine have the plastic boot and I would like to purchase the rubber ones.

Thanks!

Mark

Brian MP5T said:
2. The suspension has little vertical rods connected to the stabiliser bar. These pieces are not reuseable. If you are able to reuse them, they will make noise as well, they are made out of plastic and are to be replaced every time they are removed.
Could you explain this in more detail? Where are the plastic rods? What do they do? You're not talking about the endlinks, are you?

ss

When I got my SS I was so happy but my I had to send back to Japan because it had a internal problem with the back ones.. It took 6 months to get it back... The problem was a washer and a spacer.. It sound like the struts are bottoming out..Or the nuts are not tightend on the top of the struts.

leegrotkin said:
When I got my SS I was so happy but my I had to send back to Japan because it had a internal problem with the back ones.. It took 6 months to get it back... The problem was a washer and a spacer.. It sound like the struts are bottoming out..Or the nuts are not tightend on the top of the struts.

Did you make sure to put the adjuster in the middle position then hold it with electrical tape before hitting it with the impact wrench? If you have someone take off the preload, (Compress the assembley by hand) it will go on like butter.

Brian MP5T said:
Did you make sure to put the adjuster in the middle position then hold it with electrical tape before hitting it with the impact wrench? If you have someone take off the preload, (Compress the assembley by hand) it will go on like butter.
I did everthing... I drove to cork sport and I had them look at it .And tein called me from cali and japan... And all three said it was the nuts and washers inside.. Tein in japan when they call they told me it was it.. They said they never seen that on the proteges.. They see it happend on the evo and the wrx not on no mazda cars..So I did everthing that I could so I let the professional do it...

so is brian really banned??, but anyways the plastic peice he is talking in step 2., where can you get it, what exactly is this peice that he is talking about.

Back