TECH package - Can USB also act as an auxiliary mode?

lwh1993

:
2005 Mazda Tribute AWD V6
This may be a stupid question but can the USB port also act as an auxiliary option as well? I don't have music on my iphone, but use listen to other apps for podcasts and streaming.

Considering how flaky BT is and not wanting to have an extra cable while charging, it would be great to use the USB just as a dumb connection and play anything through it.

I'm guessing no, but it can't hurt to ask.

You can plug in a thumb drive and play music off it, if that's what you mean. But the USB playback is probably worse than the BT. See other threads on this, but it takes forever to load each time you turn on the car, and starts over from the first track on the drive each time (doesn't remember where you left off last time).

This may be a stupid question but can the USB port also act as an auxiliary option as well? I don't have music on my iphone, but use listen to other apps for podcasts and streaming.

Considering how flaky BT is and not wanting to have an extra cable while charging, it would be great to use the USB just as a dumb connection and play anything through it.

I'm guessing no, but it can't hurt to ask.

Sadly, no, USB as a line-in isn't a supported function. The CX-5 USB doesn't really put out enough juice to sufficiently charge the iPhone, anyway.

Last edited:
Good to know about the USB charging and playback. Guess it's auxillary for now until Bluetooth gets solid connectivity.

MY BT is not flaky...works great...bandwidth seems good too...but I have a BT4.0LE Windows 8 phone (soon to be Windows Phone 8.1)...

MY BT is not flaky...works great...bandwidth seems good too...but I have a BT4.0LE Windows 8 phone (soon to be Windows Phone 8.1)...

Does not matter what BT version your phone uses, for the CX-5 (and most cars, really) uses only 2.1. This is all that is really required for an in-vehicle connection. Glad to hear the Windows phone works well though. I always wondered how well they connect. If the app store wasn't such a disappointment, I might consider switching some day.

No issues for me on BT with Nexus 4, HTC ONE, Nexus 5.
There is lag (press next song and takes about 1-2 seconds before it changes) but audio and connection is stable and never breaks up or disconnects.
And it does seem people have the most issues on BT with iOS devices.

my issue is anytime I leave the car with my phone, it takes several minutes to reconnect when I get back. Pandora also keeps asking for permission to connect on my phone.

No issues for me on BT with Nexus 4, HTC ONE, Nexus 5.
There is lag (press next song and takes about 1-2 seconds before it changes) but audio and connection is stable and never breaks up or disconnects.
And it does seem people have the most issues on BT with iOS devices.

I've just had my CX-5 for less than a week, but no significant BT issues for me so far using iPhone 4S with iOS 7.0.6

my issue is anytime I leave the car with my phone, it takes several minutes to reconnect when I get back. Pandora also keeps asking for permission to connect on my phone.

I have an iPhone 4s and I get the annoying permission thing for Pandora. I think my phone takes between 15 and 30 seconds to get connected, rather than the "minutes" you describe. The audio lag is noticeable as well, but I would describe my Bluetooth connection as solid. The only quirk I have found is that if I switch between my work phone and personal phone, the voice command seems to stay stuck on the phone that paired 1st. The on-screen directory still works fine, but the voice dialing does not.

Back