Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

Everyone's experience may be different. Had to do few bigger warranty claims in the past (related to powertrain) and for some I needed to show what oil and oil filter was in the car. I do my own oil changes. Obviously one could put any oil but I did need to show the receipts the least. Once they saw its 0w20 oil, oem oil filter and records of those since say 1 ,the warranty claim/pay was approved. Each repair was few hundred to thousands which Mazda covered.
If I was using the dealer to change the oil, pretty sure they would not even ask me.
And yes we know that Mazda marked 0w20 in US because of eco/cafe reqs but dealing with the Mazda dealers and warranty claims sometimes is very subjective and annoying.
The engine run perfect on 5w30 and that is used anywhere else in the world

Thanks for providing your experience. I buy my oil and filters on Amazon so there are no worries.

I used 10w40 synthetic in my 2.5 Skyactiv NA during it's most recent oil change. The engine likes it during hot weather! I use 5w30 in the winter. Never dared to go back to 0w20 after making the switch, ever.

These engines are good for up to 10w50, although I don't think anything thicker than 10W40 is necessary. For a higher mileage engine being used in hot weather, or to combat oil consumption, you'll be doing your engine a favour by going 5w30/40

I used 10w40 synthetic in my 2.5 Skyactiv NA during it's most recent oil change. The engine likes it during hot weather! I use 5w30 in the winter. Never dared to go back to 0w20 after making the switch, ever.

These engines are good for up to 10w50, although I don't think anything thicker than 10W40 is necessary. For a higher mileage engine being used in hot weather, or to combat oil consumption, you'll be doing your engine a favour by going 5w30/40

Some info, Mazda states that you can use 10W-40 or 10W-50 in the first gen. https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8dw2eo14k/contents/07030400.html

07030402-kex01ad-001.png

Mazda rates the 2nd gen up to 5W-30 or 10W-30.

07030402-kfece01-008.png

Last edited:
I'm confident both are good oils. I just like to have the 0/20 on those -20 or lower start ups in the winter
You can compromise and run 0W30 in the winter. The first number (0) is the number you would look at for winter use.
I've run 0W30 in the winter, and had it installed at the dealer. No issues with them at all.

yes, day 1 if warranty does not play a role.
Otherwise stick to what Mazda requires otherwise its a risk especially with all the 2.5 engine issues in the past few years.
There's no risk.
If you know of anyone that had engine problems that was using 5W30, and the dealer/Mazda refused to cover it under warranty, please let us know.
Go with 5W30, full synthetic. Your engine will be happier.
I've checked with two dealers, one of which had no problem installing 30 weight oil when I asked for it. Warranty was not an issue.

There's no risk.
If you know of anyone that had engine problems that was using 5W30, and the dealer/Mazda refused to cover it under warranty, please let us know.
Go with 5W30, full synthetic. Your engine will be happier.
I've checked with two dealers, one of which had no problem installing 30 weight oil when I asked for it. Warranty was not an issue.
I personally believe 0w-20 is crap oil, I saw somewhere on BITOG where it was stated the only reason for 0w-20 was for CAFE standards, nothing else. Had nothing to do with engine protection or longevity. I agree with this. For me warmer months are going to see 5w-30 the next time around, I just got out of my extended warranty period. Maybe 5w-20 in winter. Synthetic oil has a fantastic range.

I personally believe 0w-20 is crap oil, I saw somewhere on BITOG where it was stated the only reason for 0w-20 was for CAFE standards, nothing else. Had nothing to do with engine protection or longevity. I agree with this. For me warmer months are going to see 5w-30 the next time around, I just got out of my extended warranty period. Maybe 5w-20 in winter. Synthetic oil has a fantastic range.
The first number, and the W, refer to winter. The second number is summer viscosity.
I'd go 5W30 in summer, and 0W30 in winter. I've done both, and the car is happier.

can't wait to switch to 5w30. my engine sounds like a barrel of angry bees, at least on start-up. 5w30 should be cheaper too (why do they make us use a special 0w-20?).

can't wait to switch to 5w30. my engine sounds like a barrel of angry bees, at least on start-up. 5w30 should be cheaper too (why do they make us use a special 0w-20?).
Mine sounded like that when I used Pennzoil Platinum.
Engine got quieter when I switched to Mobile 1 EP. Waayyyy quieter.

The first number, and the W, refer to winter. The second number is summer viscosity.
I'd go 5W30 in summer, and 0W30 in winter. I've done both, and the car is happier.
I understand that, I just don't like the "0W", it's like water.

0w-20 isn't "special." Its been the default oil for most passenger vehicles for at least the last 10 years. When I worked for Chevy it was the weight to be used in the 5.3L engines in the Silverado and Tahoe/Suburban (don't know if that has changed).
If you guys don't like 0w-20, you must LOVE the 0w-16 and 0w-8 that Toyota is using now

Last edited:
I've been using 5W30 since the warranty ran out. Seems to crank a little slower on cold Winter mornings, and sounds a little less like a sewing machine, but no problems and no plans to switch back.

0w-20 isn't "special." Its been the default oil for most passenger vehicles for at least the last 10 years. When I worked for Chevy it was the weight to be used in the 5.3L engines in the Silverado and Tahoe/Suburban (don't know if that has changed).
If you guys don't like 0w-20, you must LOVE the 0w-16 and 0w-8 that Toyota is using now
i don't really love one oil over another, especially when they cost a lot. i used to be gung-ho amsoil, but i just don't care anymore, as long as it works well with my engine. according to oil change places i've been, mazda takes a certain 0w20 oil. i asked to use the oil used in hondas to get the advertised price for the oil change, but they said the mazda takes a different oil that they came up with while they were in bed with ford (not his words but along those lines). for some reason the honda oil is lower priced, at least at the places i've been around here.

Last edited:
You can compromise and run 0W30 in the winter. The first number (0) is the number you would look at for winter use.
I've run 0W30 in the winter, and had it installed at the dealer. No issues with them at all.
0w is good for temperatures -20c or lower. otherwise, you're fine to go with a 5w.

Given that the internals of this engine are good for up to 10w50, you'd want to find a middle ground (around 5w30) for average temperatures.

0w is good for temperatures -20c or lower. otherwise, you're fine to go with a 5w.

Given that the internals of this engine are good for up to 10w50, you'd want to find a middle ground (around 5w30) for average temperatures.
Yup.
Once you go to 5W30, you won't want to go back to the 0W20 crap.

0w-20 isn't "special." Its been the default oil for most passenger vehicles for at least the last 10 years. ⋯
Yeh Toyota specifically calls for 0W-16 oil on my daughter’s 2022 Corolla Hatchback with the 2.0L NA. No other choices on oil viscosity is specified.

I personally have no problems to use 0W-20 oil on my CX-5 2.5L NA even in hot Texas. But I do plan to switch to 5W-30 after my current stock of Mazda Moly 0W-20 has exhausted, just for lesser oil consumption, and hopefully for quieter valve train noise based on reports by others.

Back