SWI-PS/SWI-JACK install problem. Help!

I just installed my SWI-PS (hooks up the same as SWI-JACK) and it's not working. Basically i ran power, ground, and the white wire to pin 9, according to the instructions. Is that all i need to do?

It seems it won't program the buttons on the steering wheel. When i'm in program mode, it doesn't register the buttons when i push them

Any help guys?

When I installed a SWI-JACK in my '05 3 for a Kenwood, I followed a very good walkthrough on another forum (sorry, can't link to it) for installing a SWI-PS like yours. Turns out the instructions that come with the unit evidently leave out a step that is specific for our 24-pin Mazda harness.

The Pin #10 wire on the factory harness (white with black stripe and silver dots) needs to be connected to ground. The #10 wire is right next to the #9 wire that you already connected to the white SWI wire.

I tapped the #10 wire into the same ground wire I used for the black SWI wire grounding.

If you want confirmation of this, you can go to the PAC site and use the Application Guide link, select SWI-PS and Mazda, and then 24-pin connector on the next window. A different set of instructions than the one that came with your SWI will come up which includes this 4th connection.

Hope that helps.

Glad it worked out. Since I had already seen the walkthrough BEFORE I got my SWI-JACK and saw the included instructions, I was wondering how many other Mazda owners ended up scratching their heads asking why the thing wouldn't work since I saw no mention of the 4th connection.

I realize this thread is some months old...found it by googling.

The SWI-JACK instructions I got from the web (i.e. up-to-date ones) say to ground pin 10 "if possible". In fact it is essential. I found this out by using an ohmmeter...from 9 to ground is open circuit unless 10 is grounded.

I wonder why the wiring harnesses from Scosche and Metra don't have these pins.

I wonder why the wiring harnesses from Scosche and Metra don't have these pins.

i wonder why too. :mad:
i am one of those mazda owners scratching their heads.
i am installing an alpine with the swi-jack and am having problems also.
i will try this.

thanks.

I e-mailed Schosche and they said they had no pins to hand out, but they would send me an entire second connector for free, and I could pull the pins out.

It so happens that I had a Scosche connector I didn't need, so I removed some pins and put them in the Scosche I was using. This way, I made no modifications to the car's own connector.

Meanwhile, I don't have the free Scosche yet so i can't confirm that they will really send one vs some guy promising something he couldn't/wouldn't deliver.

I got the free extra harness from Scosche via UPS yesterday. Very nice of them, considering how cheap the original purchase was.

Sorry for the noob question. It's my first time tinkering with car audio. Where can I find the "24-pin Mazda harness" I got the swi-jack and I'm ready to hook it up to my aftermarket Kenwood HU. And there is a 1/4" jack and a blue/yellow wire on the other end of the unit (opposite of where the white wire and a bunch of other wires)..Where do I connect them?

I have a Kenwood KDC-BT742U and it's great. I added an HD adapter and it's workin great. I got the Alpine MRP ampli, and kicker C 10. On front doors I got Pheonix gold Mid speaker, crossover and stock tweeter for now. It sound so different from stock.

A little help please guys.

Back