SunTek vs. 3M (Front end film protection)

I can't help you directly, but a few years ago I was doing research for window tint for another car, and Suntek was basically the cheapest in price and lowest quality tint available. 3M was one of the highest rated.

Last edited:
Hi,

I got 3M for a good price via local groupon.
Good quality in my opinion.
Neverheard SunTek before.

~cheers

Got 2 quotes for the clear front end film protection on the CX5. One was SunTek at $700 and the other was 3M at $850.

Is one better than the other? Has anyone used SunTek films?

Had my hood, front end, mirrors and door handle cups done in SunTek a few weeks ago. Haven't done the 3M in quite awhile. My installer (who is the most renowned in this area) has in the past recommended the Expel, but this time, he recommended the newer version of SunTek for my application. This guy works for the Ferrari and Lamborghini dealers in the area. The Expel had a better warranty, and was supposedly a half a mil thicker, but the Suntek was more "invisible" in appearance and has far less of an orange peel texture. I chose the Suntek for its appearance (or lack thereof) because my vehicle is garaged most of the time, and as a former professional detailer, I always keep it as clean as a whistle. Also, I took into consideration the fact that I only keep my vehicles for five years, so the longer warranty is not a priority for me. I am very happy with the Suntek, even with a trained eye, I can barely see it.

The most important factor in choosing a protective film (amongst the major brands available) for your vehicle is finding a meticulous, and competent installer who stands behind his work.

Fully agree with the installer comment.

I had the front bumper, mirrors and partial hood done in Avery Nano Fusion film 3 months back. Very happy with the install.

They also offered lifetime warrant against peeling and yellowing. I keep my cars for a long time and it made sense to go with them.

Got 2 quotes for the clear front end film protection on the CX5. One was SunTek at $700 and the other was 3M at $850.

Is one better than the other? Has anyone used SunTek films? http://suntekfilms.com/paintprotection/suntek-window-paint-protection.aspx

I had my front bumper, headlights, door handle cups and door handle cups done with 3M Scotchgard Pro. I had a choice of either XPEL or this new Scotchgard product. The installer lay down a small sample of each on my car and I could not honestly see any difference, price was the same. His own preference was for the Scotchgard Pro. It came out great, just one small spot where it's visible, did not adhere correctly. I did not do the hood, I think it's high enough off the ground and will not catch stones, it was also expensive to do the whole hood and I didn't want a visible seam doing a partial hood.

Never heard of Suntek, didn't run across any installers here in New England that install it.

I know a lot of these installers offer 5 year or lifetime warranty, but realistically how long does these things last before they have to be replaced?

As I mentioned before, I only keep my cars for 5 years, but every one I had done looked as good as the day I had it installed, when I finally went to sell the vehicle.....and I've used 3M several times, Xpel, and now Suntek. No yellowing, no bubbles, cracks or wrinkles, no unraveling of the edges. The key is to have it properly installed, as mentioned before, and also to take good care of it as you would your other painted surfaces. Get bugs, tree sap, and bird poop off ASAP as they will stain just as they will on painted metal or fiberglass. You can use just about any car wash soap, sealant or wax that you use on the rest of the paint and it won't hurt it, will just enhance the appearance. I've even run an orbital buffer over them with a light polishing compound (to remove swirls or light scratches) without any problems.

The protective plastic film is the best defense for protecting against those nasty little stone chips that will pepper your front end until you get it repainted if you are as fussy as I am. Today's water based paints tend to be softer than those of yesteryear.........just go any auto forum and read the threads complaining about how easily the newer paints chip compared to older ones.......(shrug)

The protective plastic film is the best defense for protecting against those nasty little stone chips that will pepper your front end until you get it repainted if you are as fussy as I am. Today's water based paints tend to be softer than those of yesteryear.........just go any auto forum and read the threads complaining about how easily the newer paints chip compared to older ones.......(shrug)

That is true. Today's paints chip a lot easier than those of yesteryear. The $700 film is expensive but it does protect the front end. A paint job on the front end would probably run $1,500 - $2,000 and matching the Soul Red paint is difficult so the film is good insurance.

I decided to go with the SunTek film. It has good reviews and is a little less expensive than 3M

(2thumbs) Just get the most reputable installer you can find in your area, and you will never regret spending that $700 on your ride.

This. The installer is the most important part . FWIW, Suntek Ultra is their latest and greatest. But, each film has it's strong point. Some are more clear while others provide better protection. Few installers use more than one brand

I had suntek ppf-c on my bmw for 3 years then I sold the car. It was great and didn't lift, peel, or discolor in that time. Was quite costly though and I don't think I'd do it again unless I had a really expensive ($80k+) or collectors car.

I have 3M installed on my CX-5. I like it, and haven't had any issues with it lifting, peeling, etc. I would recommend getting PPF, just make sure that your paint is in pristine condition before you put the film on it. If not, you will have to live with swirls, etc.

I have Xpel Stealth on both my 2018 CX5 (hood) and 2018 MX5 (bumper, hood, front quarter panels, mirror caps). So far so good. I like it. One thing you need to watch out for is the wax you use. According to Xpel be sure the wax product you are using doesn't contain naphtha or kerosene in concentrations over 5%, and avoid waxes that contain dyes. I am not sure if this applies to other PPF manufacturers. Mequirars have some products that they (Mequirars) recommend for use on PPF like Xpel.

Last edited:
I've had 3M on the front of mine since new (August 2013). Zero issues whatsoever. Still looks great!

Had...
3M on a 2006 black Acura
VentureShield on a black 2009 Honda (bad, bad, bad never again)
3M on another gray metallic 2009 Honda
3M on a sonic silver 2014 CX5
Suntek on a white 2019 WRX based on installer saying it works better with white than 3M. So far I have no complaints with SunTek and its 10 year warranty so far.

Now that 3M has purchased VentureShield, some years ago, what film is being pedaled? Original 3M or VentureShield crap? My impression is VentureShield is a lower quality product with the 5 year warranty, while the 3M Scotchguard stuff has 10 years.

Back