Sub any good?

D-Cash24

:
03 P5
I am looking at making the sub box that chuyler1 made for the P5 and putting a Rockford Fosgate P2D410 4 ohm 10" sub in it. Along with that i will put in a amp, possibly the Alpine MRP-M450 or a Directed Audio D600.
Price is a big issue and i want to keep it as cheap as possible, while keeping it reliable and durable. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

what exactly are you asking?

You may want to look at a sub more geared toward small sealed boxes and with a smaller mounting depth then the fosgate.

im just checking to see if there are better options in the sub or amp department for that particular box. im looking for about 200-300 watts RMS to help fill in the lows that i am missing. is there any particular brands that you would recomend in the 100 dollar price range?

For a small sealed box, I go to JL audio. That is basicly their core market.
The JLW1 should do the job nicely.
200 watts rms is fine although I think both of the amps you have chosen are well above that. Also if you are not going to amplify the internal speakers then I would stick closure to the 200 watts.

Alpine is a solid brand for most everything. Directed is really an internet ***** at this point. I know the pricing on the M450 is REALLY nice right now. So plan on running it at 4 ohms to limit the power output to a lesser sub for now. Then you can always add another sub and get a little crazier later with the extra power in reserve.

cool thanks for the help. is slightly overpowering a sub in a closed air box the wrong thing to do? i read somewhere that slightly overpowering helps to fully extend the sub in a sealed box design.

Depends on the sub and amp and how accurate their ratings really are.
Usually you want more power for undersized boxes.

another, probably better sounding option is an older Alpine Type R. You can get an 04 model (https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned))

For pretty cheap. It will run perfect off of 3-400w, and loves a 1/2 cube box(I think thats what Chuyler build was)

That said, unlike 1sty, I am not a big JL fan below the w6...

I have had one of these subs since 04, and while Im not currently using it, I will be using it again...

Last edited:
yeah i thought about an alpine too, but the type R is to much money and the type E has pretty low power handleing abilities.

The JL W1 that 1sty recommended is probably your best bet for a budget subwoofer...and its cheaper than the RF P2 (just checked prices at crutchfield).

Another sub I have had good luck with is the Image Dynamics ID10D2v3.

yeah i thought about an alpine too, but the type R is to much money and the type E has pretty low power handleing abilities.

The type R I listed is 165 shipped, 35 bucks more than the JL... and thats BNIB.

It is a better sub, and you may be able to find one cheaper... Plus its a type R. that means 10hp as well(ricer)

ID is solid too

Well since it's a type R that means it has VTEC too, right? because thats at least 100hp on top of that 10. Looks like i have some shopping to do, its between the Type R, JL W1, and if there is a such thing as a cheap Image Dynamics 10" sub.

I am looking at making the sub box that chuyler1 made for the P5 and putting a Rockford Fosgate P2D410 4 ohm 10" sub in it. Along with that i will put in a amp, possibly the Alpine MRP-M450 or a Directed Audio D600.
Price is a big issue and i want to keep it as cheap as possible, while keeping it reliable and durable. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Not a fan of these "packages". We just started carrying the P2D412 at my Store.

Two P2's 12" in the Rockford box. 4Ohm!? BOOOO 400W RMS? BOOOOOO

P2's are OK, but those "all in one" rockford packages give you no option of how to set up your system, and they are always ported.

My suggestion... Return it.

(Rockford is OVER-RATED) I install these bastards all the time, and I'm never satisfied. Even the P3's are Garbage. Alpine and JL blow them out of the water in Clarity and Volume.

Get yourself some Alpine R Types, and a PDX amp. (wiggle)

Last edited:
I work for Best Buy in Michigan. I'm the Lead installer (that's actually my job title). I have worked with lots of JL stuff. The w7's are impressive. But anything GOOD from JL is gonna cost a ton.

I can get an R type 12" for $100 Brand new. That's at 5% above cost at any BBY. The 10" R types are about $85 at 5% above cost.

So trust me, you can find an R-type for a good price. Just make friends with a BBY employee, or cut a deal with someone.

Is it just me or is everyone missing the point here the man wants a cheap setup. The type R is ok but will not fit his needs fellas, if his box is going to about .50 then when you add the sub there will be no air space. You have to factor in the sub's displacment as well when you are building a box. The W1 is a great choice also you have the pioneer shallows as well. You can also look at the G1 by Boston Acustics, and a MTX 4500 series is good as well the best sounding will probly be between the JL and the Boston. I really think that you should at least go to a shop and get a demo to make sure it will be enought sound. Also take one of your CD's and listen to make sure it sounds good to you not the sales person. Just my .02

Back