stupid cobalt ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun

Banned
On my way home from work, new 08 turbo cobalt tail gates me for no reason. So i let him pass but he refuses to move. So oncoming 3-4 turns i went into racing mode (i hate getting tail gated), I look at my rear view mirror and he was far behind and on the straightaway he does rice flyby at pretty high speed.. (im crusing at 40mph at that point)... wow i hope none of the cobalt owner are like this..

I am suprised he knew about a speed3, I rarely get hit on to race.

The cobalt SS turbo model coming out soon will be quicker than the speed3 by just a little bit. Still down to driver skill in most situations.

how do you know it was the turbo instead of the older supercharged one?

As far as I know, the new turbo model has yet to hit showrooms, let alone the streets.

how do you know it was the turbo instead of the older supercharged one?

As far as I know, the new turbo model has yet to hit showrooms, let alone the streets.

I'm thinknig it might me out... theyre now on GM's website to buy and allof that.
One of my friends also said he saw a new one, but really, who knows.

I am suprised he knew about a speed3, I rarely get hit on to race.

The cobalt SS turbo model coming out soon will be quicker than the speed3 by just a little bit. Still down to driver skill in most situations.

Stock for stock yes

i also found out that the older SS models aren't always supercharged i think. i wanna say there was an SS model that was appearance stuff but no s/c. i'll have to check.

the new turbo ones don't seem bad since it's a nice coupe body. they still have really big plasticky headlights and interior. being regular EFI, they'll probably be fun to mod. and they have launch mode which is a nice touch.

i like s/c's though, they're underpowered to us, but s/c's are fun on the track.

^I think you 're correct, it maybe the the SS sedan that is non-supercharged. It has all the upgrades but no supercharger.

Edit: I just looked, it comes in sedan and coupe. The SS with supercharger was usually designated as SS-SC to avoid confusion.
The non-supercharged cobalt came with the same 173 hp (or 171?) engine as the soltice.

For the new gen cobalt, the non-turbo ones are designated as Cobalt-Sport.
I doubt a non-supercharged Cobalt was able to keep up with Hyun.

Last edited:
They made 2 in 07. An SS supercharged and an SS with just the suspension and body mods (same as the G5 pontiac) with 170 hp. The new one might be a hair quicker in the 1/4 only because it has launch control. It still has that crappy 5 speed and cheap interior and wont do over 86g on the skid pad. CAI and Catback will hold that cobalt off. I just remind them, it is still a Cavalier...

The cobalt SS is by no means a lesser car than the speed 3, at least the new turbo one isn't. Lest we forget the speed 3 is also based on an econobox model as well. Besides, why denigrate the competition? the new cobalt SS will force Mazda and others to compete all over again with even more power and handling which is a win for everyone :)

But honestly, would you even consider a cobalt over an M3?
The engineering is night and day, imo.
I do have respect for some competition, but as far as American economy cars go, I say to hell with them, and their turbo couterparts :)

The cobalt SS is by no means a lesser car than the speed 3, at least the new turbo one isn't. Lest we forget the speed 3 is also based on an econobox model as well. Besides, why denigrate the competition? the new cobalt SS will force Mazda and others to compete all over again with even more power and handling which is a win for everyone :)

Your statement is subjective. The Cobalt ss could be a "lesser" car, it just depends on how you look at it. Now if you were only going strictly by performance #'s (0-60, 1/4, skip pad, etc) then that would be different. Those that are saying that the cobalt ss turbo is a "lesser" car are probably referring to the car as a "whole" not just its stock performance credentials. Have you seen the new cobalt ss’s exterior/ interior? Looks like straight up ass.

Perhaps it’s just me but I could give a rat’s ass if a cobalt ss turbo is .1-.2 tenths faster then a Speed3 stock. Anyone who is even half way serious about the performance aspects of these types of cars are not gong to leave them stock.

If some kid in a stock cobalt ss turbo thinks his going to hand me my ass, his going to have another thing coming. Yes, I’m aware you can mod both cars but my point is that with these two (2) cars it going to depend on who’s got the deepest pockets.

Last edited:
It might bother me if I was buying a car for bragging rights but I wasn't :)

I bought a well balanced, economical yet fun and sporty car that I could live with for a number of years of driving on a daily basis. What did you buy the speed 3 for?

It might bother me if I was buying a car for bragging rights but I wasn't :)

I bought a well balanced, economical yet fun and sporty car that I could live with for a number of years of driving on a daily basis. What did you buy the speed 3 for?

Pretty much for the same reasons as yourself but I only plan on having mine for about 5yrs max because I want to really enjoy it. I do want it to be fast enough to run low 13's and still be a nice daily driver :)
Once I get Cobb AP/ MP/ and a couple other minor shenanigans, should be well on my way

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back