Stuck caliper

Gasological

:
'03 MSP #493
So I head into the city tonight, and a few blocks from my destination, I feel the rear driver brake caliper is dragging. I tried to work the E-brake a few times to see if that would help release, but it offered little if any effect. Have fun for the night, and when I'm pulling out of the parking lot, the issue seems to be gone, no groaning to a stop or at takeoff, doesn't seem to be braking to a stop when I coast in neutral. Once I got home, that corner is still warmer than the others, so I think its still dragging a little.

I figure I'll replace the caliper tomorrow if I can find one. This is an excellent excuse to get in there and do braided brake lines and replace pads/rotors though and get the expenses cleared with the wife. However, delivery for those would take a bit. My question is if I'm ok to replace the caliper tomorrow and put what is likely to be a baked pad and rotor back on the car for a week or so.

Also, does anyone know of a how-to for caliper replacement, anything to look out for? My brake work experience has previously been limited to pad/rotor replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know. I'm in the process of seeing if I can free my front caliper so I can use my car until my new calipers/rotors/pads get here.I'm putting new pads on though(cheap advance auto pads) provided they fit.

No idea what caused the initial binding, but it seems to have released. After getting the calipers off, the outside pad appeared to have expanded due to overheating and was not moving freely inside the guide clips. Replaced the pads with some cheap stuff from Salvo and used the brake grease provided, now they move ok. Aside from forgetting to reconnect the E-brake cable and rolling down the driveway a bit (wife really loved that one) everything seems to be alright.

New rotors pads and cable on order with at protege garage. Don't bother trying to get anything for our rear brakes at advance, all their part numbers indicate that we have the same equipment as standard proteges. The replacement caliper they gave me is a bit short and would not mate to the shoe. Just need to last a week till I can get the good stuff in.

Back