Strut Replacement: Any Recommendations?

Woochifer

:
Mazda5 Grand Touring
Just had the 75k mile service on our Mazda5, and the dealer found a leaky strut up front. They recommend replacing both of the front struts, as well as the rear shocks. With wheel alignment, total estimate is about $1,100. Not sure about the rear shocks, since the car still fares well on the "bounce test," but the handling up front definitely sags a lot more than before. I'm going to take it to an independent garage for a second opinion, but in all likelihood I will at least replace both of the front struts. This is the first major repair that this car has needed.

I've read that the suspension has been a problem area for the Mazda5. Is this a case of the car being too heavy for the suspension design? And are there any replacement struts anyone can recommend that might hold up a little better than the OEM struts (I don't even know who makes the OEM struts)? Thanks.

I just replaced the rear shocks on our Mazda5 and while they weren't blown the KYB GR-2s I installed were an improvement. They are basically an OEM replacement. I am replacing the fronts after Thanksgiving. The upper strut mounts on our 5 are toasted which is causing some wandering so I'd check those on your 5 too.

Have the front ones replaced by the shop and replace the rears yourself. Way easy and should not take more then 20 mins per side. You'll save some cash on labor for the rears.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, it's not hard to change them. You'll be happy with the ride when finished.

I just replaced all 4 on my Mazda 5. I bought the Monroe OESpectrum (low end/OEM type) from a parts place off of eBay. Got a spring compressor from O'Reilly auto and a few hours later had them all changed. Don't forget an alignment after changing the front struts.

My total price was about $300 for the shocks and struts and alignment. The tool was free to rent.

And if you don't want to use a spring compressor (can be sketchy!) call around. A local shop will swap the springs and tops to the new struts for $60 cash. All I have to do is remove them. And yes, the rears are pretty easy. There is a thread in here with a video too.
j

Just replaced my front struts too

Hi,

I just replaced my front struts on our 2006 Mazda 5 - I used KYBs bought off of Amazon - ~$95 each. I paid a shop to replace them for $180 (southern CA price). I was quoted up to $240 in labor only for other shops. I also bought new boots & bump stops (KYB) off of Amazon - the amazon parts checker doesn't come up with the correct boots. I bought "KYB SB101 Strut Boot" which fit the Mazda 5. They are only $11.65 each and include the boot & bump stop.

Replacing the struts got rid of a thumping noise when turning the steering and going over bumps (left front strut has small leak). The KYBs appear to handle very similar to the OEM.

Good luck

I've got Sensens all around since October and they seem to be adequate. I personally like my suspension on the stiffer side of the spectrum and these are soft just like OEM set up. I would love to find a nice gas shock thats a bit stiffer then these, at least for the rear. Overall though, these Sensen struts and shocks are pretty good.

Just ordered a set of Sensens from APXAutoparts.com, using the discount code "****************" for about $7.11 of of $142.20 for the full set... Can't beat $135.09 delivered for any full set of struts. Good luck!!

http://apxautoparts.com/apx/2006-2007-mazda-5-shocks-struts-full-set.html

Front Left Strut - APX Part # 4214-0589
Front Right Strut - APX Part # 4214-0588
Rear Set - APX Part # 3212-0183

Do a google search for other Mazda forum's discounts, to get the code....

I have a 01 protege and just ordered kyb for the front from summitracing.com they were only 55 each. While local auto part stores were 70 and ^ each.

Just ordered a set of Sensens from APXAutoparts.com, using the discount code "****************" for about $7.11 of of $142.20 for the full set... Can't beat $135.09 delivered for any full set of struts. Good luck!!

Chinese made shocks? No thanks. Unless you don't care your time (for DIY) or labor costs, I'll stick to known brands for $100 more.

Just a little more input on replacement shocks here. Had KYB GR2's installed (front and rear) about 35k miles ago, and discovered yesterday while replacing rear brakes the driver's side rear was blown (had noticed some clunking in certain conditions for a while). That's not many miles, in my book. So I had both rears replaced with Monroe OESpectrum.

They feel good; the car seems to be more stable and resistant to lean through turns. Time tells the story on shocks, though; the GR2's remaining on the front feel worse at 35k than the OEM's felt at 76k when I replaced them. I will not use KYB again. They have proven to be inferior to OEM'S over time.

Back