Strut mount

nautical2086

:
1999 Mazda Protege ES
Sup guys, simple question, how would I know if my strut mounts are worn out or not? I'm about to change my springs, and struts, and obviously would want to change the mounts, if needed.

I would..isn't it like 40bucks per upper mount? If shitton of dirt gets in there or overtime the bearings get worn and seized...could cause some nasty noises. Might as well.

The noises I have, I'm uncertain if it's my struts worn out, or the mounts that are worn, changing the strust with the springs. Putting on illumina's

you should think about putting the Pro5 rear mounts in your sedan, (if they will work, i read i can do it on my Mp3) but they are a little better, and i also heard the MSP fronts are better. Matt

If you are replacing struts, replace the mounts. I am speaking from experience! They take alot of abuse and wear and it a lot of work to pull it back apart when they go bad. It is a wearing item.

Very poor turning return-ability is a major sign of worn strut mounts. For example, when you are turning, normally the wheels with steering wheel want to straighten itself out. When you make that same turn, and you lighten up the grip on steering wheel and the car does not straighten out, but continues to keep turning, then the upper strut mounts are worn. Inside the mounts is a little bearing that rotates with the struts while turning. Also noise can be accompanied with worn mounts. Hope this helps out diagnosing.

Back