Strange noise after new tires

Zmud

Old and OCD
:
2019 cx5 2006 mx5
I recently purchased a complete set of Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 tires.

I now notice a strange sound only between 35-45 mph. It's almost an electronic noise, and seems to come from the front center. The dealer had rebalanced all the tires, no change. I ran my OBD scanner, and nothing shows.

Any ideas? I plan on getting on the highway for a few miles later in the week, but so far I've only driven around town at sppeds below 55.

Just throwing this out there. Were your previous tires noisy and now the lack of noise has made it easier to hear other sounds?

Just throwing this out there. Were your previous tires noisy and now the lack of noise has made it easier to hear other sounds?
No. I replaced ahead of when I was going to because of a screw embedded too near the sidewall to plug. I replaced the original TOYO.

This is my wife's care, and I'm not going to argue. She's more OCD than I am. Good suggestion, though!

Does it only happen in the morning when you drive it the 1st time?
If yes, flat spotting. Some tires suffer more from it.

Does it only happen in the morning when you drive it the 1st time?
If yes, flat spotting. Some tires suffer more from it.
No. Anytime. Cold or warm. Only at about 35-45mph. Not lower, not higher.

It was that way when they first installed them.

Turbo or N/A? If turbo, it could be a fuel rail vibration issue that's been reported by some other members. Its possible that it wasn't as audible before with the OEM tires.

If the tires are directional, maybe check to make sure the tire shop installed them correctly. One reviewer noted that their tire installer installed one of the tires backwards.

If none of those check out, maybe it could be your front wheel bearings starting to wear out? I know it's a long shot for a car with low mileage, but you never know.

Turbo or N/A? If turbo, it could be a fuel rail vibration issue that's been reported by some other members. Its possible that it wasn't as audible before with the OEM tires.

If the tires are directional, maybe check to make sure the tire shop installed them correctly. One reviewer noted that their tire installer installed one of the tires backwards.

If none of those check out, maybe it could be your front wheel bearings starting to wear out? I know it's a long shot for a car with low mileage, but you never know.
Turbo. Would that only occur in that specific speed range?

The sound seems more electronic to me.

Turbo. Would that only occur in that specific speed range?

The sound seems more electronic to me.

I think the owners who found fuel line vibration to be the cause reported that the sound could be heard at certain speeds. Not in any specific range. The sound was described as a high-pitched ringing or mosquito like sound. The fix was to apply some insulation tape to a hard fuel line that was rubbing against something else. Check this thread and see if what they are describing sounds familiar. If so, see if your dealer can find and print out the TSB related to this issue.

There's also this TSB that addresses a whistling noise coming from the front window glass, but it seems like this isn't the sound you're hearing.

The sound could also be transmission-related - here's a relevant thread. Hopefully this isn't that.

I drove and my wife crawled around the car. She thinks the noise is coming from the area behind drivers seat, but in front of rear wheel. It’s a ‘chirping sound’ sound, not real load. Appears around 35 mph, disappears over 45 mph. I checked spare area, nothing amiss.

I drove and my wife crawled around the car. She thinks the noise is coming from the area behind drivers seat, but in front of rear wheel. It’s a ‘chirping sound’ sound, not real load. Appears around 35 mph, disappears over 45 mph. I checked spare area, nothing amiss.
What year and what mileage of your CX-5? Is it an AWD?

Your wife thinks the noise is coming from the area behind drivers seat, but in front of rear wheel. And it’s a ‘chirping sound’. The high-pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank is near that area. You wife could hear the pump noise if her hearing is really good. If you have an AWD, the chirping sound could mean the failing input bearing on the rear differential for the long drive shaft.

What year and what mileage of your CX-5? Is it an AWD?

Your wife thinks the noise is coming from the area behind drivers seat, but in front of rear wheel. And it’s a ‘chirping sound’. The high-pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank is near that area. You wife could hear the pump noise if her hearing is really good. If you have an AWD, the chirping sound could mean the failing input bearing on the rear differential for the long drive shaft.
2019 Signature with about 50k. Sound is only between 35-45 mph.

2019 Signature with about 50k. Sound is only between 35-45 mph.
Since you have an AWD, and the noise happens only between 35 ~ 45 mph, my guess is either the front input bearing or driver-side output drive shaft bearing on rear differential, or the drive-side rear wheel bearing. High pressure fuel pump noise will be steady at any speed.

Your 2019 CX-5 with 50K miles should still have 60-month / 60K mile powertrain warranty. Take your CX-5 to a Mazda dealer ASAP to diagnose the noise problem as those problems are covered under powertrain warranty.

Since you have an AWD, and the noise happens only between 35 ~ 45 mph, my guess is either the front input bearing or driver-side output drive shaft bearing on rear differential, or the drive-side rear wheel bearing. High pressure fuel pump noise will be steady at any speed.

Your 2019 CX-5 with 50K miles should still have 60-month / 60K mile powertrain warranty. Take your CX-5 to a Mazda dealer ASAP to diagnose the noise problem as those problems are covered under powertrain warranty.
I mis-spoke. 30k miles. I have to check when we bought it, but I think May of 2019

I mis-spoke. 30k miles. I have to check when we bought it, but I think May of 2019
Your Powertrain warranty will expire at the end of this month! Take your CX-5 in to diagnose the noise problem.

There is a backing plate behind the brake hardware. It may have been bent when the tires were being installed and could be hitting the rotor. This is a cheap and easy check. Usually it’s a metalic scraping sound that can be heard when moving from your parking spot. The 35-45 mph only clue may require the service visit mentioned earlier.
You also have anti-lock brake sensors and electronic parking brake hardware around there. These parts may have been disturbed and may be touching something. Have you tried engaging and disengaging the parking brake when stopped? If not used in a while, the lubricant inside it can dry up.

Mazda says it expired yesterday. They also mentioned the backing plate. Will check when my wife gets home.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Back