stock suspension

kboutsider

:
2003 Protege 5
Ok I have a question last night I let a friend drive my car. He owns an RSX. So as he's driving my car he asked me if I lowered the car or put in stiffer springs. I said I never have and I can't see the previous owner putting them. I then asked him why he said the car handles and feels like it's on a stiffer spring that it handles better then his car sitting on $400 tein springs. I know we all talk about the handling on the P5 but is this characteristic of the car or is it a better possibility that my springs have been changed?

well easy way to find out if they were changed is to look! but i dount it handles better than a car with an aftermarket suspension, it might just have seemed that way. if you still are unsure post up some pics so people can check the ride height.

I would bet the P5 is better out of the box than an rsx. He probably put tein springs on stock struts. My experience with tein is that that are pos's. They lower too much, and have uneve spring rates front to rear, which sucks for handling. I know with subarus they lower so much it takes the suspension way out of the ideal operating area, and handling suffers greatly. People run teins for looks, not handling, and even then you are guaranteed to need new struts within a short time, if you run them on stock struts. I effing hate tein.

So yes, its is not only possible, but likely, that your car smokes his in the handling dept.

another thought... who pays $400 for a set of tein springs?

yea when i got my p5 i noticed the springs are awfully stiff for stock. my car bounces a little at highway speeds. i looked under an all seem stock to me. i posted a picture asking if mine looked lowered an everyone said nah. so im sure its just Stiff stockers.

sorry guys that was $400 installed. He is not running on OEM struts but is only using KYB GR-2's his car isn't that low really it was a 1.7" drop i think. I was out with my car club last night and my buddy Steve was there with his Sunflower which is lowered on Eibach Sportlines (2" +/-) and when we compare the cars his isn't much lower then mine. But it handles like crap compared to the P5 he is running on stock struts.

This is really the only pic I have that really shows what you need to see. If this doesn't work then I'll take and post some more.

DSC00057.jpg

Well, i drove a RX-8 for (the best) 2 months of my life. The Pro5 is not that far behind in handling. Truly not. Especially for an econobox.

The pro is category killer in SCCA racing. Races well against BMW M3s. Check it out. (low speed/cone killling)

Well, i drove a RX-8 for (the best) 2 months of my life. The Pro5 is not that far behind in handling. Truly not. Especially for an econobox.

The pro is category killer in SCCA racing. Races well against BMW M3s. Check it out. (low speed/cone killling)

That is something I am wanting to check out for my area. I've done the go in a straight line racing for a few years and it was all bracket racing so it got very boring.

And I guess now is, is there a stiffer spring you can get without actually lowering the car? If so how can I tell by looking at the spring?

Last edited:
Maybe your friend is scared to push his car.

I owned an `02 RSX-S, installed Neuspeed Sport springs, it handled WAY better than my P5, even when I had MSP springs on the P5...

look under the car. if the springs are not black, theres a good chance they are aftermarket. but from the looks of your ride height, i'd say your stock

tsx vs. protege

Regarding the original question,

Could it be that his TSX does not have a torsion (anti-sway) bar between the front struts under the hood? Does the TSX have 50 series, Y-rated tires? These are all suspension enhancements of the P5 that profoundly affect handling.

Regarding the original question,

Could it be that his TSX does not have a torsion (anti-sway) bar between the front struts under the hood? Does the TSX have 50 series, Y-rated tires? These are all suspension enhancements of the P5 that profoundly affect handling.
Who said anything about the TSX?

His friend's RSX comes stock with 45- or 55-series V-rated tires. The Type-S does have a strut tower bar that also ties to the firewall.

I rode in my bro-in-law's RSX-S also on Teins, and, he was SUPER impressed with the way my car ran stock

Pro5 handles great! Throw some Eibach springs and tokico HP struts and Progress rear sway, and you've got a whole new monster!!

He doesn't have a strut tower bar. Also his isn't an S. And I'm not saying his car doesn't handle great. I was just very surprised how well my car stood up against his in the corners. Springs and sway bar are plans for the spring/summer.

go auto-x the car stock, then be VERY pleasantly suprised at hwo well the car does

Back