Stock Mani w/ vtcs removal or aftermarket intake manifold?

PakmanMP5

Its Just a Family Wagon
:
2008 Mazdaspeed3 Silver
Stock Mani w/ vtcs removal or aftermarket intake manifold?
which one is better getting one from **********.com or protegegarge.com
or should I just get it from someone who has removed the vtcs on the stock P5 intake mani?
info would be great

Well if your staying NA just remove the VTCS from your stock P5 manifold. ********** and Protegegarage's IM the exactly the same. Honestly I'd go with PG because its cheaper. Well for NA you won't gain much from the single runner IM and you'll lose some low end torque as well. For NA just P&P your IM and do the vtcs removal and your all set.

Until a company comes out with an aftermarket dual runner IM that gives excellent gains for NA applications your stuck with the P5 IM.

I got a new intake mani, and want to get it ported... how much should I expect to pay?

(this is where you tell me what you paid in the past, so I can get a general ballpark figure. I'm not going to use these number as a quote, instead I'll mearly be using it as a guide --Thank you in advance)

However much the attachments for your drill cost at home depot & whatever your time is worth to you. Really simple job once intake is out. Extra simple when you get an extra IM so you can do it at your leisure without imobilizing the car until swap time. I got an extra IM for 35.00, it even had the egr on it still. Just used quick steel 500 degree putty stuff to fill the holes from the vtcs stalk. I even cut the stalk flush with cyl 1 & hooked up the actuator just like it was so from all outward appearances & to the computer nothing has changed except the extra air flow. Also red loctited the VICS screws while there to ensure those would never come off.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
However much the attachments for your drill cost at home depot & whatever your time is worth to you. Really simple job once intake is out. Extra simple when you get an extra IM so you can do it at your leisure without imobilizing the car until swap time. I got an extra IM for 35.00, it even had the egr on it still. Just used quick steel 500 degree putty stuff to fill the holes from the vtcs stalk. I even cut the stalk flush with cyl 1 & hooked up the actuator just like it was so from all outward appearances & to the computer nothing has changed except the extra air flow. Also red loctited the VICS screws while there to ensure those would never come off.
^^^Yup, I did exactly what he did except I didn't cut the rod flush with the inside of the runner - I cut it a little shorter and filled the rest with QuikSteel so I have a smooth surface on the inside. I highly suggest you do this yourself, at least that way you have some control over it. You can use a dremel with either grinding stones or the sanding bits (expect to go through a lot of these). Just start moderately coarse and work your way finer. I brought mine out about halfway between stock bore and the gasket bore - I mainly wanted to get rid of the little ridges inside the runners.

i12drivemyMP5, did you also get one of the used IMs from MAM?

alreight you convinced me!!! lol

I'll be doing it myself this winter... (I'll be so bored!)

^^^Yeah you'll love the mod. I immediately noticed a difference in throttle response and it seems to want to pull more higher up - and this is with a vacuum leak!!!

Just buy all new gaskets and torque all your bolts down correctly when installing, oh yeah and be sure to reinstall it correctly (go in proper order) - that's where I screwed up. I'm still chasing that vacuum leak...

kudakev615 said:
spray brake clean around the areas you think are leaking. when the rpms raise, you have found the leak
Yeah did that and realized I didn't have a leak. The irratic idle was either a result of there be no more VTCS or me just being over paranoid - you know how it gets when you work on your car...

I have a spare stock intake to do the mods/porting on (if you need it)
I only want $25 + shipping...

P-Funk! said:
I have a spare stock intake to do the mods/porting on (if you need it)
I only want $25 + shipping...

Still have intake.. I may buy it from you...I live in florida 33544.

MagnumP5 - Yes I actually paid for & got my extra IM from MAM, it even had the egr still on it - bonus! Took about a month but it got here. Glowspeedp5 - PM if still needing extra IM.

Back