Steel rubbing noise when rolling slowly in neutral

Pmpkinhead

Contributor
:
'03.5 Blazin' MSP (sold) ................. '14 Soul 6 GT
My left, front wheel makes a faint steel grinding/rubbing noise when rolling to a stop in neutral. The wheel bearing was replaced last week. The noise is during "half of the tire rotation". It is quiet for "the other half" of the rotation. I will check my brakes again but it gets really loud at 70 or 80 mph. Maybe drive shaft between "tranny and wheel" or something inside tranny. An OEM Welded LSD was added about 80k miles ago and the synthetic tranny oil mix recommended by this forum was added also. It does not drive any different than normal and the power is still the same.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Check to make sure your brake caliper is bolted on properly, and any of the components behind the wheel are not loose. My car made the same noise, and it turned out to be the wheel was making contact with the caliper as the top bolt holding on the caliper had sheared.

If the metal shield behind the caliper is bent and making contact with a anything, that will create the noise as well.

The metal clips holding the pads in place could also be contacting the rotors, as that is a common case with any metalish noises coming from the front wheel wells.

Last edited:
It's hard to diag noise problems without "hearing" the problem, I would say your best bet would be start with the pads....make sure you check the inboard pad as well because the outboard can look fine but the inboard be gone.....best of luck to you

It feels like gears are rubbing and a slow speed shift into 1st gear feels like gears also, not what I'm used to. Is it better to have a tranny shop rebuild this tranny or have them drop one in from their inventory?

That just sounds like the clutch is not bled correctly. If there is any metal shavings in the tranny fluid (that you can find), you may want to do something with the transmission.

Also, If you do not have the transmission bled correctly and there is still a bit of air in the system, then first gear will be a hard gear to select (especially when the car/tranny is cold), and all other gears will be harder shifts as well.

That just sounds like the clutch is not bled correctly. If there is any metal shavings in the tranny fluid (that you can find), you may want to do something with the transmission.

Also, If you do not have the transmission bled correctly and there is still a bit of air in the system, then first gear will be a hard gear to select (especially when the car/tranny is cold), and all other gears will be harder shifts as well.

I haven't had any work done on the tranny for 50K miles. Can air get in and cause a problem as the tranny gets up in miles?

Usually, no. There might be a possibility that your master or slave cylinder needs replacement. Although, usually you get a "mushy" feeling from the clutch pedal, or the clutch pedal feels "sticky". I would probe around the clutch system and see if there are any visible leaks first.

Back