Starting Over

k-lea said:
I am waiting on Ken right now to match a price on a motor I have found. I've ran across a few 00's and they are somewhat cheap with low miles. This may not be as bad as I think it is until the price of the ECU hits me in the face.

..if they came with the ECU for the prices I have found that'd be excellent. I guess I should wait on the email from the guys.

are we talking about the harness? or the ECU? either way... YOU HAVE THOSE, YOU JUST NEED THE ENGINE.

:p

STFU. So wait..I can mix the MSM ecu with the 00 ecu?

No need to get pissy, I'm flippin' learning. I've never been this far. I played a small role with a p5 swap but nothing major.

k-lea said:
STFU. So wait..I can mix the MSM ecu with the 00 ecu?

No need to get pissy, I'm flippin' learning. I've never been this far. I played a small role with a p5 swap but nothing major.

lol not getting pissy... just pokin fun @ ya...

well from what Im reading the 2k bp is identical to the MSM motor with the exception of the turbo components... this would make it in essence, the same motor.

if you are swapping for the same motor, you dont need a different ECU. Yours would be what is needed. If you are infact putting in a completely different motor (for instance, a v8 swap) then the factory ECU would not work as it is set to run that exact BP motor and not what you just swapped in.

EDIT: And you cant mix ECUs, its one or the other - not both. And ECUs arent paired to a particular engine (for example, all MSP ecus are identical in programming. Doesnt matter if I took one off of another MSP and used it in my car, it would function the same.)

EDIT-EDIT: Think of it this way... the ECU is the "brain" of the engine. If I took the brain from a white mouse and tried to place it in a horse, it wouldnt work AT ALL. If I took that same brain and placed it in an identical mouse (assuming brain transplants were possible) it would be able to run the body just the same.

Last edited:
Right.

But what is getting me here are the "BP-ZET" components. *IF* by any chance there is a difference, even at the slightest, I would have to be getting a new ECU, correcto?

TheMAN said:
the rods are the same between the non-turbo and turbo engines

the BP-ZET has a 9.5:1 compression ratio, which is the same as the 99-00 BP-ZE, however the pistons are not the same... the details I don't know as it'll take me time to find that out

the BP-ZET block is slightly different from the BP-ZE/BP-VE blocks but should not be significant enough for any concern

the BP-ZET is very similar to the 99-00 BP-ZE... uses the 9.5:1 compression ratio, and also its non-S-VT cylinder head... but the BP-ZET does make use of the JDM BP-ZE intake cam for increased duration... intake manifold is NOT the same as it does not utilize VICS... it is similar in design to the BP-VE's in that it has VTCS, but its plenum design and runners are slightly different still

all in all, a cheap "good enough" long block replacement is to get a 2000 miata engine and swap all the BP-ZET bits over

Quoted for you and I. :)

k-lea said:
Right.

But what is getting me here are the "BP-ZET" components. *IF* by any chance there is a difference, even at the slightest, I would have to be getting a new ECU, correcto?

depends on the changes... Im assuming by BP-ZET components, hes talking about the exhaust mani, turbo, WGA, piping, vacuum lines, etc. nothing major. If you stick that motor in and run it N/A youll have a problem as the ECU you have will be expecting a turbo. If youre going to run the same turbo setup, it shouldnt matter.

Actually, I'll be using the BP-ZE. That's my bad for confusing those two.

So, with that said, what was the question again? Heh..

Last edited:
k-lea said:
Quoted for you and I. :)

well... comp. ratio is the same, I cant personally seeing a difference in piston design causing trouble as long as comp. ratio and timing are identical. The intake manifold and intake camshaft can be taken from your existing engine (they shouldnt be damaged unless your block totally fubared and caused head damage) therefore making those changes void. differences in blocks? I cant see anything being major... probably just the placement of certain sensors/oil lines.

basically The MAN has laid out exactly what you need to grab from your existing BP-ZET

-intake mani.
-intake camshaft.
-pistons maybe but you were going to swap them anyway... plus the comp. ratio is the same, so it should have no bearing on the ECU logic.

k-lea said:
Actually, I'll be using the BP-ZE. That's my bad for confusing those two.

So, with that said, what was the question again? Heh..

BP-ZE is the engine code
BP-ZET the T is used to designate a turbo present in the application. It is not a completely new engine, just slightly different components to the engine... which The MAN was nice enough to list.

EDIT: for instance, another example would the Nissan SR20DE motor. there is also an SR20DET version which is just the addition of a turbo in its application... it is still, however, an identical block.

See, that's the problem with me. I need someone to point s*** out in a way I can understand. That helps a lot more than what Edwin had typed.

Camshaft should be ok.
Intake Mani has some problems (but being replaced anyways..)
Piston's are being changed as well.

So in all actuality, I'm pretty set..Nothing is really being moved over from one motor to the other other than the camshaft.

Another problem I had was confusing the two engines. (BP-ZET and BP-ZE) That doesn't help. >.<

B1GHAM said:
BP-ZE is the engine code
BP-ZET the T is used to designate a turbo present in the application. It is not a completely new engine, just slightly different components to the engine... which The MAN was nice enough to list.

EDIT: for instance, another example would the Nissan SR20DE motor. there is also an SR20DET version which is just the addition of a turbo in its application... it is still, however, an identical block.
I got that now. Thankies.

You should just try putting a white mouse under the hood. I don't think anyone's tried that on a Miata yet.

k-lea said:
How about you just keep messaging me on aim harassing me, that always works. :)

[edit] Also, I haven't officially blown the motor yet. Learn your facts then you can whine. [/edit]

I IMed you one time to offer advice and you are retarded.

Go roll your Miata, please.

Back