Starting Over

orphman said:
Thanks... my CEL could have been on.. My oil pressure was at nil and i didnt notice that soo.. im a tard...

thanks for the info
My issue was not even noticing the CEL being on. I had gotten so used to it being there from the EMS that it never came as odd to see it there. Then I was like "oh wait.."

Yes (from what i've been told as well), but those are being replaced here..

So, it's easier to just say "I'm getting a regular ole Miata engine."

er, that didn't make sense..FOOK IT. Haha, you get what I'm saying..I hope.

Last edited:
Kooldino said:
Wait wait wait...I thought the MSM had beefier rods and or pistons?

the rods are the same between the non-turbo and turbo engines

the BP-ZET has a 9.5:1 compression ratio, which is the same as the 99-00 BP-ZE, however the pistons are not the same... the details I don't know as it'll take me time to find that out

the BP-ZET block is slightly different from the BP-ZE/BP-VE blocks but should not be significant enough for any concern

the BP-ZET is very similar to the 99-00 BP-ZE... uses the 9.5:1 compression ratio, and also its non-S-VT cylinder head... but the BP-ZET does make use of the JDM BP-ZE intake cam for increased duration... intake manifold is NOT the same as it does not utilize VICS... it is similar in design to the BP-VE's in that it has VTCS, but its plenum design and runners are slightly different still

all in all, a cheap "good enough" long block replacement is to get a 2000 miata engine and swap all the BP-ZET bits over

Nah, forget that 2000 engine business.

Find a '99 that already got it's head stripped off and use your MSM head. VICTORY!

do you know anything?
there's some of the 99 engines had bad thrust washers which caused crankwalk issues

the head IS THE SAME

YOU DON'T WANT TO CHANCE A 99 MOTOR IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD A REBUILD!

TheMAN said:
there's some of the 99 engines had bad thrust washers which caused crankwalk issues

the head IS THE SAME

++

Fortunately, I dodged that bullet with my '99. My friend who bought his '99 a week before me wasn't so lucky.

So, 2000 and 2000 only? Or can I go up a bit? I was looking at a 01 and there was a 03.

I'm sure it doesn't make a difference..

'01 and up will have the variable valve timing thing (that, along with the higher compression ratio, seemed to add nothing to the car aside from the requirement to use premium unleaded)...the reason my '01 Miata was nicknamed "Pokey".

Ha, ok. Thanks!

Also, checked the CEL today, Wastegate Solenoid. I sent Dana a text kinda "loling" at it and I tweaked something really quick and it went away but like 2 minutes later it came back on.

Edwin, explain the "BP-ZET" components..

I wasn't expecting to get a new motor so my knowledge on this is very small. I guess I could start googling. *sigh*

[edit] lolz, think before j00 speak [/edit]

Last edited:
TheMAN said:
do you know anything?

the head IS THE SAME

That's what I am saying, if you just punch a hole in the block you can source some parts from a '99 if you want to do things on the cheap. I've seen a lot of '99s with their head missing because that's the only part that's worth money, the block and internals aren't so special.

k-lea said:
Edwin, explain the "BP-ZET" components..

I wasn't expecting to get a new motor so my knowledge on this is very small. I guess I could start googling. *sigh*

[edit] lolz, think before j00 speak [/edit]

**** a Google. Just ask someone on Miata.net. All the people there are asshats and want to dip their car in a vhat of chrome, but they know their s***.

TheMAN said:
do you know anything?

the head IS THE SAME

I'm pretty sure 99.999999999995% of the 99's with the bad bearing have blown up by now.

its been nearly 10 years. Anyone selling a '99's motor with less than 30k miles on it... look at them funny, then check the crank for play. if its over 30k miles... don't worry. I've only heard of 1 '99 w/the #4 issue making it past 20k miles... and I didn't trust the details...

pluto316 said:
**** a Google. Just ask someone on Miata.net. All the people there are asshats and want to dip their car in a vhat of chrome, but they know their s***.
No.

R2s99zoom said:
I'm pretty sure 99.999999999995% of the 99's with the bad bearing have blown up by now.

its been nearly 10 years. Anyone selling a '99's motor with less than 30k miles on it... look at them funny, then check the crank for play. if its over 30k miles... don't worry. I've only heard of 1 '99 w/the #4 issue making it past 20k miles... and I didn't trust the details...

Good point, but I'd still steer clear personally unless there's just a huge price difference.

pluto316 said:
Go blow another engine then maybe you'll be ready to lean something. (yawn)
How about you just keep messaging me on aim harassing me, that always works. :)

[edit] Also, I haven't officially blown the motor yet. Learn your facts then you can whine. [/edit]

Last edited:
I am waiting on Ken right now to match a price on a motor I have found. I've ran across a few 00's and they are somewhat cheap with low miles. This may not be as bad as I think it is until the price of the ECU hits me in the face.

..if they came with the ECU for the prices I have found that'd be excellent. I guess I should wait on the email from the guys.

Back