Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Even with all packages / options it will probably be much cheaper in the USA than here in OZ. don't complain.

True, but that's not the point. Those are safety features, not unnecessary luxury features. It's not like OZ gets panoramic roof standard and the US doesn't. That would be different. Safety features affect insurance rates, and the lack of it results in higher premiums. The US market is the biggest market for the CX-9. Yet, it's the market that gets nickel and dimed for features. I wouldn't be surprised if those safety features become standard later down the line.

Alex on Autos Facebook Page has images of the CX-9 now. His review will be coming out on May 23rd. So, it maybe possible that the CX-9 will be going on sale soon as others have stated. And he's calling it 2017 CX-9, not 2016.

Last edited:
Alex on Autos Facebook Page has images of the CX-9 now. His review will be coming out on May 23rd. So, it maybe possible that the CX-9 will be going on sale soon as others have stated. And he's calling it 2017 CX-9, not 2016.

Seems like the press is test driving in the SF bay area right now. Cx9 search on Instagram has some bloggers on result.

Yeah I'm a lil bored and/or obsessed

Dave also talks about why the 2nd row floor isn't flat.

I wonder if the height between the seat bottom and the floor is really that much different compared to a car that has a flat load floor. I didn't notice any/much uncomfortableness when sitting in the highlander/pilot/mdx's second row. Maybe it's something that needs to be done side by side to notice the difference.

I'm definitely excited to watch and read the reviews when they come out. Even more excited to check them out at the dealer soon!

Dave also talks about why the 2nd row floor isn't flat.

I wonder if the height between the seat bottom and the floor is really that much different compared to a car that has a flat load floor. I didn't notice any/much uncomfortableness when sitting in the highlander/pilot/mdx's second row. Maybe it's something that needs to be done side by side to notice the difference.

I'm definitely excited to watch and read the reviews when they come out. Even more excited to check them out at the dealer soon!

I didn't buy that--maybe if the tunnel was 2-3" higher than the floor. But it looks closer to 5"-6" higher. I can't believe that the step in height of my '12 CX-9 is 5" higher than that one.

I didn't buy that--maybe if the tunnel was 2-3" higher than the floor. But it looks closer to 5"-6" higher. I can't believe that the step in height of my '12 CX-9 is 5" higher than that one.
Agreed. I just went out and sat in the second row of my '15, and it wasn't at all uncomfortable. Granted, I'm short with short legs, but even lifting up my feet a couple inches wasn't a huge deal.

Agreed. I just went out and sat in the second row of my '15, and it wasn't at all uncomfortable. Granted, I'm short with short legs, but even lifting up my feet a couple inches wasn't a huge deal.

Hard to tell. Someone's going to have to get in one of these with a tape measure. If they've actually lowered the floor to give more legroom, then I'm fine with the transmission tunnel intruding as it does in this new car. We'll see once we can see the cars compared but to me the distance from the seat to the floor doesn't appear to me much different than the outgoing car (or other cars in the class). At least not that much different to explain the tunnel. It's telling that the Mazda rep was ready to explain this (even though the reviewer got it backwards). They must be a little self-conscious about it.

Hard to tell. Someone's going to have to get in one of these with a tape measure. If they've actually lowered the floor to give more legroom, then I'm fine with the transmission tunnel intruding as it does in this new car. We'll see once we can see the cars compared but to me the distance from the seat to the floor doesn't appear to me much different than the outgoing car (or other cars in the class). At least not that much different to explain the tunnel. It's telling that the Mazda rep was ready to explain this (even though the reviewer got it backwards). They must be a little self-conscious about it.

I call BS on that Mazda rep saying the current flat floor level is flush with the new CX-9 tunnel top surface,
and that Mazda dropped the 2nd row outboard floors for comfort.

ABSOLUTELY NOT, no way. Only way I believe it is when I go physically and measure with a tape measure. The new tunnel is at least 6 inches high if not more.

My son sits in the 2nd row middle seat every single day and I installed a LCD in the middle console for him, his knees does not block the line of sight to LCD

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841492-Radar-Media-Player-LED-LCDs-Hella-Projection-Shifter-Installed-%28pics%29&highlight=hella

when we went to the auto show, his knees was jacked up and uncomfortable, he knew right away something was different, he even said I won't be able to watch TV. Note: he's a 5th grader and with the 2nd row seats slid back to it's maximum endpoint , so imagine a full grown adult sitting there, not very comfortable.

I agree with SJG, Mazda rep was quick to offer an explanation, they must be self-conscious about it and know it will be questioned a lot especially by current owners with flat floors. Don't get me wrong, I love the new CX-9, it's just whether you can or cannot live with it, to some it may be a small thing and they don't care but at least be aware of it and make sure you can live with it.

This photo below was from the auto show, no way the current floor is flush and at the same level with the bottom of my son's sneakers in the photo, I'll take a picture later this afternoon with the flat floor so you guys can reference my son's knee location to the center console.

Last edited:
Great analysis. Looking forward to seeing the comparison. By no means is this a deal breaker. I recently bought a Durango and it has a hump. Although the hump in the new CX-9 appears to be higher than the Durango's. This is not the biggest deal in the world. The CX-9 may be fantastic and it's not competing against the old version but against the marketplace and some competitors also have humps. It's just that current owners may have become accustomed to the flat floor and as a vehicle that sells itself on its utility and as a minivan alternative, the flat floor is a nice selling point.
I would just like to know what brought about this change. I agree with you that the outboard footwells have not been lowered or at least not as much as necessary to justify that hump. Did they lower the car overall? Did they increase the ground clearance? Is the driveshaft to the rear wheels more substantial? I guess we'll have to wait to actually see the cars and get a look underneath.

Looks like they're on dealer lots in Minneapolis. Twin Cities residents can check them out.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BAM! Look at this bad boy! The new <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mazda?src=hash">#Mazda</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CX9?src=hash">#CX9</a> is now in at our Inver Grove, Minnetonka, and Chippewa Valley stores! <a href="https://t.co/D1qXXIKUnw">pic.twitter.com/D1qXXIKUnw</a></p>— Morries Auto Group (@MorriesAuto) <a href="https://twitter.com/MorriesAuto/status/733335711277940737">May 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great analysis. Looking forward to seeing the comparison. By no means is this a deal breaker. I recently bought a Durango and it has a hump. Although the hump in the new CX-9 appears to be higher than the Durango's. This is not the biggest deal in the world. The CX-9 may be fantastic and it's not competing against the old version but against the marketplace and some competitors also have humps. It's just that current owners may have become accustomed to the flat floor and as a vehicle that sells itself on its utility and as a minivan alternative, the flat floor is a nice selling point.
I would just like to know what brought about this change. I agree with you that the outboard footwells have not been lowered or at least not as much as necessary to justify that hump. Did they lower the car overall? Did they increase the ground clearance? Is the driveshaft to the rear wheels more substantial? I guess we'll have to wait to actually see the cars and get a look underneath.

I guess the hump being a deal breaker comes down to personal necessity. I have 2 teenagers who rarely sit in the middle of the 2nd row. Our Cavachon normally takes that spot. I used to carpool and if I still were, that would probably make me think twice about that hump.

here you go guys, I'm 100% positive that Mazda rep has no idea what he's talking about, there is NO WAY the current floor is at the same height as the new tunnel topmost surface, absolutely not, I didn't realize how bad it was until I took picture this afternoon,

this is new CX-9 with raised hump and 2nd row seat pushed as far back as possible, see how my son's knee is jacked up,
Also, as I mentioned, my son is a 5th grader and he is already cramped, can't imagine a grown man sit there comfortably.

[/QUOTE]

now, this is current model with the 2nd row pushed back as possible, notice the floor is lower than the new CX-9 and knee is not jacked up, he's actually slouching comfortably like he's on a sofa, Mazda rep is clueless if he thinks the current floor is jacked and the outboards floors were lowered as an upgrade.

Last edited:
That's a huge difference for sure. Might not be a big issue for some but with a packed vehicle it could be a problem.

Last edited:
That's a huge difference for sure. Might not be a big issue for some but with a packed vehicle it could be a problem.

Agreed, kinda reminds me of airplane seating, LOL,

With hump is economy class and no hump is business class lol, just kidding, agree with everyone really up the the buyer what they are looking for, if no one really going to sit there, then not a big deal. But honestly, my current flat second row is really handy for transporting big LCD boxes or foldable table for picnics.

Last edited:
Dave Coleman is THE go to guy for info on mazda products. He's a development engineer for mazda and has been the face of Mazda as of recently for car launches. He definitely knows what he's talking about. The times I've seen him in videos, he very enthusiastic and technical with his explanations. He did the same when explaining the floor. However, he could have been stretching the truth a bit, but I do not think what he says is false.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150824/OEM02/308249982/meet-mazdas-master-of-driving-feel

I can agree that having a hump isn't the most ideal, but I guess it's just not a deal breaker for me. Most of the time, passengers in the middle seat place their feet on the sides of the hump, as there is plenty of foot space. The biggest downside is the loss of storage space for bigger items, but that's what the trunk is for?

The trunk space is very small in 3 rows mode. Anything helps. I refuse to get in a van so with 5 people on board, when vacation time comes...cargo box goes on top of the roof regardless of floor space.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The trunk space is very small in 3 rows mode. Anything helps. I refuse to get in a van so with 5 people on board, when vacation time comes...cargo box goes on top of the roof regardless of floor space.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep, We're on our 3rd CX-9 and I'm getting the first GT w/tow package at my dealership, although he's also put my name on the signature edition that's on the same shipment. I'm not sure its worth $2500 more. Its supposed to be here weekend of Memorial Day. We've used ours for travel softball for the girl and vacations. The hump is not an issue with us either as most SUVs have humps, including my VW Touareg. Most people just put their legs on either side of the hump when there's three in the back. Kids will grow and will not want to sit in the middle so that is a short term problem for folks with kids that sit in the middle. Cargo box is a fixture on ours when traveling with family.

Back