Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Even if they are all the same hardware they are programmed differently.. The AWD in CX-3 always applies some power to all wheels on launch. I haven't seen anything conclusive that '16 AWD changes to CX-5 included that.

EDIT: Actually they are different hardware.

Interesting because some of the reportedly new sensors listed for the updates were already listed in the FSM for my '15 like the windshield wiper.

Cargo space

For those interested on how big the cargo space is... To me, it seems quite similar, if not the same as the 2007-2015 generation.

cx-9-1.jpg

That actually looks like the cargo space will be a lot deeper with the 3rd row up, which is nice but may mean less leg room for 3rd row passengers and maybe even for 2nd row passengers.

Last edited:
That actually looks like the cargo space will be a lot deeper with the 3rd row up, which is nice but may mean less leg room for 3rd row passengers and maybe even for 2nd row passengers.

Agreed. Cargo area does look deeper than current model. The current center cargo flap panel (the one hiding the tire iron tool and rotation nut to let the spare wheel down) is not as long as the one shown in the picture, the current one is maybe 3/4 of what the new one is. Agree that would mean less legroom for passenger.

hey, did you guys notice : there's no more hanging seatbelt from the ceiling for the 2nd row center passenger ! my wife always hated that, says it distracts her when viewing rear mirror, can clearly see now there's a retractable seatbelt mechanism between 2nd row headrests (arrow)

also, it looks like they did away completely with the OEM cargo cover no matter with or without power liftgate ?? I don't see any mounting locations or hooks for the cargo cover. I guess if I do buy this new model, I'll go with my poor man's $18 version of a cargo cover LOL, no way I'm going to let thieves see what I have in the trunk: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123839737-Poor-Man-s-Cargo-Cover-for-CX-9-Power-Liftgate

Last edited:
hey, did you guys notice : there's no more hanging seatbelt from the ceiling for the 2nd row center passenger ! my wife always hated that, says it distracts her when viewing rear mirror, can clearly see now there's a retractable seatbelt mechanism between 2nd row headrests (arrow)

Good catch. I didn't really like that hanging seatbelt too.

also, it looks like they did away completely with the OEM cargo cover no matter with or without power liftgate ?? I don't see any mounting locations or hooks for the cargo cover. I guess if I do buy this new model, I'll go with my poor man's $18 version of a cargo cover LOL, no way I'm going to let thieves see what I have in the trunk: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123839737-Poor-Man-s-Cargo-Cover-for-CX-9-Power-Liftgate

Since we have a dog, this will have dual purpose. Thanks for sharing!

Good catch. I didn't really like that hanging seatbelt too.

Someone **please** notify Honda and Toyota that you CAN have a middle seatbelt in the middle row that isn't connected to the roof. Neither company offers a bench in the middle row in their top trim line because the pano sunroof doesn't allow a ceiling anchor for the seatbelt. Apparently neither company realizes you don't actually need a ceiling anchor for a seat belt.

This limitation effectively eliminated both the Pilot and Highlander from my shopping list.

Last edited:
Someone **please** notify Honda and Toyota that you CAN have a middle seatbelt in the middle row that isn't connected to the roof. Neither company offers a bench in the middle row in their top trim line because the pano sunroof doesn't allow a ceiling anchor for the seatbelt. Apparently neither company realizes you don't actually need a ceiling anchor for s seat belt.

This limitation effectively eliminated both the Pilot and Highlander from my shopping list.

Agreed, even my old 2005 Highlander had the 2nd row middle seatbelt without the seat belt hanging from the ceiling,

not sure why Toyota moved away from that and started hanging the seatbelt up to the ceiling

Good to see all these pictures and discussion about the 3rd row and cargo area. Interesting how the discussion is different among people who actually drive these cars. The cargo floor behind the 3rd row may be a bit bigger in square footage but I think the rear glass has a greater slope to it so volume may be down (for those of us who pack floor to ceiling.

While we're looking a seat belt minutiae, the clips that secure the 3rd row buckles when not in use look a little beefier. Still would like to know how they're mounted on the walls because the clips on my 2009 have been popping off since the day I got the car.

Is that a LATCH anchor on the back of the 3rd row right side seat? Don't think they offered that before. Not sure why they'd only do it on one side.

And wondering why the didn't go 40/20/40 with the 2nd row as they did with the CX-5.

Is that a LATCH anchor on the back of the 3rd row right side seat? Don't think they offered that before. Not sure why they'd only do it on one side.

And wondering why the didn't go 40/20/40 with the 2nd row as they did with the CX-5.

While I no longer have use for LATCH anchors, it does seem like a LATCH anchor and that it's only available on the passenger-side 3rd-row seat. I guess Mazda figures that one would only install a childseat on the passenger-side for easier access? Even if the child is already able to place him/herself in the childseat, an adult would still need to secure the child and it would be easier to access the passenger-side 3rd row than the driver-side. A booster would be a different situation since those normally do not have LATCH anchors (at least when I used them for my kids) and the child, at that point, should be able to secure his/herself.

I agree with the 40/20/40 split of the 2nd row, instead of the 60/40 split.

Actually, the new Volvo XC90 has a 2.0 Turbo with 316 HP and 295 ft/lbs of torque, so maybe it's just that Mazda is on the cutting edge, rather than following the crowd.

My point was that nobody has really provided great fuel economy and a satisfying drive in a 3 row CUV with a small turbo. The new XC90 is supposed to be a nice drive but the jury is out on fuel economy. Small sample size but Fuelly data is 19.5 mpg. Not bad but not earth shattering and no better than some companies are doing with V6 options.

Actually, that's probably a tether hook for a forward-facing child safety seat. LATCH hooks will be in the joint between the seat base and the seat back and will point/face forward and upward.

My point was that nobody has really provided great fuel economy and a satisfying drive in a 3 row CUV with a small turbo. The new XC90 is supposed to be a nice drive but the jury is out on fuel economy. Small sample size but Fuelly data is 19.5 mpg. Not bad but not earth shattering and no better than some companies are doing with V6 options.

It's better than my 16 mpg on my '12 CX-9. Someone has to be the pioneer in this area; good for Mazda. Hopefully it is a good engine.

Actually, that's probably a tether hook for a forward-facing child safety seat. LATCH hooks will be in the joint between the seat base and the seat back and will point/face forward and upward.

Which is part of the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)

Which is part of the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
It can be, but a tether anchor by itself is not a LATCH system (at least how I perceive a LATCH system to be). And my bet is the third row seats do not include the anchor system.

Last edited:
raised center tunnel ?

what's with the raised center tunnel (green arrow) any ideas ? can't be comfortable for 2nd row middle passenger on long trips
the flat floor on current model is much better

also what's with the flap (red arrow) is that a cover for secret hidden storage under the front passenger seat ?

rear passengers will appreciate the built in hidden pull up shades (green arrow) on hot sunny days, nice touch

http://www.motortrend.com/news/10-cool-features-on-the-2016-mazda-cx-9/

Last edited:
Flap thing looks like it might be the top engine cover placed into backseat during photo shoot...

mazda-cx9-2017-mesin-skyactiv-turbo-details.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering why the middle seat in the second row looks so...separated? Is it removable to create a middle pass through like the older Toyota Highlander?

I'm wondering why the middle seat in the second row looks so...separated? Is it removable to create a middle pass through like the older Toyota Highlander?

Was thinking the same thing but I don't think it's removable, doesn't makes sense to have that raised hump down the middle if it's meant to be a pass thru, that would be horrible engineering, people would be bumping their heads or twisting their ankles, it'll be like walking on a balance beam !!! LoL

Back