Spiders invading my CX5

I agree with CC58, I have used the raid Fumigators several times and they work great. Just make sure that you get the Fumigators and not the aerosol spray cans. They usually come two to the box. If you have a garage just open the doors and the rear hatch to the CX-5 and close all garage doors and drop the Fumigator in it's water container and shortly afterward the garage will fill with a fog like dry smoke that gets into everything without gettings things wet. Afterward I would wipe down the interior and wash down the outside and set the CX outside with all windows and the rear hatch open to air out. One more thing I would set the plastic water container on the concrete floor because while it is producing the smoke it gets very warm.

I agree with CC58, I have used the raid Fumigators several times and they work great. Just make sure that you get the Fumigators and not the aerosol spray cans. They usually come two to the box. If you have a garage just open the doors and the rear hatch to the CX-5 and close all garage doors and drop the Fumigator in it's water container and shortly afterward the garage will fill with a fog like dry smoke that gets into everything without gettings things wet. Afterward I would wipe down the interior and wash down the outside and set the CX outside with all windows and the rear hatch open to air out.

Another "helpful" low post count poster detailing how to deal with a CX-5 spider infestation. Amazing, this thread has three contributors with post counts less than three. All three of them seem very concerned about the CX-5 spider "problem" and yet no one has presented any evidence that spiders are attracted to a CX-5 any more or less than any other competing model.

Bob, my question to you, if the raid fumigators work so very well, why have you had to use them "several" times? What model cars did you have that needed to be fumigated?

The fact is, the CX-5 is a very tightly built modern car with spider proof filters on the air vent intakes. The only way for a spider to get in the cabin is through an open window or door. And this is equally likely on ANY make/model of car.

Unfortunately, persons with arachnophobia have a very real condition (and I have sympathy for those who are affected) but this kind of illogical conjecture about spiders having an affinity for CX-5's is irresponsible and enough to make any arachnophobe unnecessarily look elsewhere for their next car.

Why risk it? Even if it's complete BS scare tactics.

My all-new 2014 Toyota(r) RAV4 never has spider problems. It makes tonight fun

To Mike M

Where in my post did it indicate to you that I had used the Fumigators on a car? The first time I used a Raid Fumigator was in a old house that I was helping a friend remodel. The crawl space of the house was infested with Brown Recluse spyders, we put fumigators in the crawl and in every room of the house and they did a great job of killing off of the unwanted guests. We have used them several times since then on other remodeling projects.
I thought the forum was for answering questions for people with problems, and that is what I was trying to do.

Mike M.

Click on the original poster ID and read his 11 posts. None are trying to spread misleading info. Its a fact yellow sac spiders were a problem for Mazda6, with two recalls. They are prevalent across US, so its possible a CX-5 could get them, or any other car for that matter.

There was a low-count poster earlier that went on and on about fictitious tranny problems that was suspect, but this guy seems on the level.

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/eek-squad/why-do-spiders-apparently-cars-so-much
Keep in mind that yellow sac spiders are very common. Like, endemically common. Entomologist Chris Buddle says they should be called “ceiling spiders” because they can be found on the ceilings of practically any house. So it shouldn’t be surprising that they’re in cars, or automobile factories — they’re kind of everywhere.

Last edited:
I agree with @MikeM., not a fan of the scare tactics, and I'm quite aware that spiders can get in just about any make or model. It's just a coincidence that this thread cropped up after the spider building a web on my steering wheel a few months ago, lol. It sucked, but I know it can happen to anyone. It doesn't make me like the CX-5 any less!

Mike M.

Click on the original poster ID and read his 11 posts. None are trying to spread misleading info. Its a fact yellow sac spiders were a problem for Mazda6, with two recalls. They are prevalent across US, so its possible a CX-5 could get them, or any other car for that matter.

That's my point, any car is equally likely to have spiders get in the cabin.

But I have a problem with (and it is misleading) when someone uses a recall for spiders plugging a charcoal canister fuel air intake to imply that spiders are more likely to inhabit the cabin. While this might scare someone unfortunate enough to have arachnophobia, it does not make logical sense. People are being misled. And I have no way to tell for certain who is misleading on purpose and trying to cause irrational fear and who might have got caught up in the negative hype. So I'm not willing to point fingers and claim to know any one individuals motives but it is awfully suspicious when, for example, one poster has two posts in total on this entire forum and they are irrationally using the fuel tank breather recall involving spiders to suggest there is a problem with spiders colonizing the cabins of Mazda's. That's the kind of reasoning that is so irrational nobody would believe it but it could cause the approximately 3-6% of the market that has an irrational fear of spiders to avoid Mazda's just because it's not worth the unpleasant thought. And anyone who works in sales knows that market share is made up of a lot of sub-groups. 3-6% of the market IS significant. And successful marketing campaigns (negative or positive) always use a multi-pronged approach.

Let's stop the misleading hype. There is no correlation between a spider plugging a breather hose outside the cabin and spiders crawling in/out of cabin air vents, across the windshields, etc.

Keep in mind that yellow sac spiders are very common. Like, endemically common. Entomologist Chris Buddle says they should be called “ceiling spiders” because they can be found on the ceilings of practically any house. So it shouldn’t be surprising that they’re in cars, or automobile factories — they’re kind of everywhere.

Yes, and they can't get in the cabin of your CX-5 unless they enter through an open door or window (just like any other modern car).

Last edited:
In any case, I wasn't aware that the gasoline in a Mazda smelled any different than the gasoline in any other brand of car.

Mike, i'm sorry but you're so wrong.

The awesomeness of the CX-5 changes the chemical composition of the fuel to make it more attractive to spiders.
A friend puts diesel from the same garage I use and whilst he get 45MPG i've just had 60.7MPG, so it has to be that the cx-5 chemically alters the fuel :D

resized_misunderstood-spider-meme-generator-hiya-i-left-my-egg-sac-here-in-your-car-u-seen-it-hun-what-s-in-the-spray-can-c5aac0.jpg

I drove to Flagstaff a few weeks ago from Southern California, my car was left outside at a parking lot. 3 days later when I went to drive back home, there were spider strings (not web) in my passenger feet area....

2014 Mazda CX-5, garaged parked when I'm home.

572 posts including this one... is that low?

Last edited:
I drove to Flagstaff a few weeks ago from Southern California, my car was left outside at a parking lot. 3 days later when I went to drive back home, there were spider strings (not web) in my passenger feet area....

2014 Mazda CX-5, garaged parked when I'm home.

572 posts including this one... is that low?

No, not low.

But it's common sense that if you lock a spider in your car it's going to spin some silk. That's what spiders do.

What's your point?

Crap I found this is in my car.. must have been Japanese. Too bad it wasn't gold colored.. I put it outside just in case..
Yc656Wf.jpg

I just got my 2014 CX-5 in April. Haven't had any issues up until a week ago. Finding these yellow sac spiders inside and outside my car. Took it to the dealership and they put it up on the lit, looked under it, checked a filter, found nothing except for some spider 'strings'. just said to wait until the first frost or call an exterminator. When I got home, I did some investigating and found 2 webs/nests in the upper part of rubber lining of the driver side door. So who knows where else they are. I haven't driven it since because they're dropping and crawling around while driving, especially at night (I work night shift)..very distracting.
It's frustrating that mazda wont offer any help with this.

Any one have suggestions? Or having this problem also?
Thanks

I just got my 2014 CX-5 in April. Haven't had any issues up until a week ago. Finding these yellow sac spiders inside and outside my car. Took it to the dealership and they put it up on the lit, looked under it, checked a filter, found nothing except for some spider 'strings'. just said to wait until the first frost or call an exterminator. When I got home, I did some investigating and found 2 webs/nests in the upper part of rubber lining of the driver side door. So who knows where else they are. I haven't driven it since because they're dropping and crawling around while driving, especially at night (I work night shift)..very distracting.
It's frustrating that mazda wont offer any help with this.

Thanks

Try here

I just got my 2014 CX-5 in April. Haven't had any issues up until a week ago. Finding these yellow sac spiders inside and outside my car. Took it to the dealership and they put it up on the lit, looked under it, checked a filter, found nothing except for some spider 'strings'. just said to wait until the first frost or call an exterminator. When I got home, I did some investigating and found 2 webs/nests in the upper part of rubber lining of the driver side door. (Pics) So who knows where else they are. I haven't driven it since because they're dropping and crawling around while driving, especially at night (I work night shift)..very distracting.
It's frustrating that mazda wont offer any help with this. (nobody)

Thanks
(spam)

One time I came out to my truck to find a huge hawk sitting on the roof of my truck just staring at me. The hawk wouldn't move even when I was only 8 feet away? I was afraid it would scratch my paint with its talons or worse fly and retaliate against me. Point is there isn't much you can do about Mother Nature so how can you blame Mazda for a spider in your car? I have owned two Mazda CX5's and own a Mazda 5 and have never seen a spider in the car in the 70,000 miles I have driven in them.

Personally I think MikeM is right and your just a troll trying to cause trouble.

(getout)

Latest posts

Back