Spicey Orange #1326.. What to do with it?

:
02P5, 04MSM,97NA
I have 3 Protege's currently (two P5s and a 03 ES)

I bought this MSP last weekend and it's very rough. Don't want to part it but most of the exterior MSP parts are gone and the interior is in poor condition.

164K with zero rust anywhere. Doesn't appear to have been in any collisions except damage to the exterior of both left doors.

Seats are torn. Steering wheel is shot, headliner bad, floor mats are bad, missing shift knob and boot. Wrong wheels, exhaust from mid pipe back missing, subwoofer gone..

ES front bumper, rear wing and no skirt on rear bumper. Mirrors and side skirts are painted flat black, clear coat is peeling everywhere and the BACK window is broken out (unique to the other sedans).

So, why did I buy it? It runs great, no smoke, no noises. FMIC with Injen CAI, BOV, pedal covers and likely a flashed ECU. It shows to boost near 12psi. Clutch slips when it boosts though

So my dilemma is, do I part it out and use parts to upgrade my p5? Sell the shell to someone with a rusted out MSP?

I used to do body and paint work for a living and work at a dealership with access to the body shop. I could restore this car, but at a fair amount of expense and time. Getting the MSP body parts, back glass and interior parts is not impossible but could take awhile.

So what's the opinion from you guys?

Last edited:
It's one of the rarest colors, restore it.

But I would use the engine/trans for the p5... Or at least the turbo stuff

Thinking I might hold on to the body for awhile and collect parts. Back window is going to be difficult.

I have a stock turbo complete setup that I was going to use on my yellow P5. Have 4 engines now too.. I seem to be hording these cars! They are great cars though

You could always use a regular sedan back screen and get a concealed aerial that most hot rod guys run, if you fill the side marker holes on a P5 front bar then it will solve the front bar issue.

Probably need pics before you get some honest opinions (hump)
Sounds like a lot of work and how difficult is it to find parts for MS Protege now-a-days? I replaced my MSP shocks with OEM shocks a year and a half ago and it took 6 months for the parts to come in.

Is this car in North or South Carolina? I only ask because I saw one on CL a few months back that looks like what you just described. It was roooooough.

From NC..it's probably the one. It is a rough car. Oddly it's structurally sound. No front end damage, no rear body damage. No RUST. Two damaged doors on the left side (which are bolt on). Big thing is the back window. I could piece the car back together but would have to find another MSP in driving range to get a glass

I would just get a regular back window, the only difference was a built in antenna and like JDM said you can just install a small powered antenna inside the car and it will work the same. The stock sub is missing in most MSPs these days, shift knob and boot aren't a huge deal unless you really have to have the stock ones. Floor mats and steering wheel will be hard to find but many of us use P5 or Miata steering wheels. JP Parts (on facebook, instagram and this forum) is selling the front bumper and rear lip right now and frequently posts them for sale. Install an aftermarket exhaust, clean or replace the headliner (same as all other sedans), restore and paint the body and you are set. Of course it will need more things here and there but the spicys are very rare these days and at least among us MSP fans are sought after.

I did the same but opposite, I found an MSP with a clean interior and all the stock body parts but a blown motor and swapped it out and now it's my daily. It needs paint but I still get compliments and it runs great.

I have a front cover from another spicey orange that was parted. Trying to get the seats and a few other things from the parted car. I am going to use the drivetrain for my 03.5 P5 but I have several engines and stock turbo setup to put back in the car. I work at a bodyshop in the office, but used to do body/paint work for a living. I think I will slowly fix the car up or sell the car as a project. I'm sure those in the rust belt areas would like a nice rust free shell too..

Latest posts

Back