Spare key

Rocket

I'm a big fan of the magnetic key box stuck to the bottom of the car. I had a "valet" key for my 2006 Mazda5 that saved my butt more than once. But, the 2014 Mazda3 uses the "smart key". I'm trying to devise a system for a locked out car. I know the car will supposedly not allow the keys to be locked in, but what happens when one drops the keys off the dock into the water, or loses them in the house, etc. (yeah, these things happen).

I was thinking maybe a valet key in a box under the car, with a spare remote, battery removed, in the glove box. What would be another possible solution? (other than dying my blond hair black?).

Thanks!

The car will definitely not allow the "keys" to be locked in. So trying to devise a lock-out system is pointless.

Despite this, the best safeguard is to keep your spare key in a safe place at home so you can get to it when you need it. Rather than in the obvious place, such as a magnetic box stuck to the bottom of the car.

Smart key can be locked inside.
All you need is a metal box to keep it in and put the box inside the glove compartment.
The ECU cannot detect it.
Then, you can store a metal key as you used to do. That should do the trick.

Smart key can be locked inside.
All you need is a metal box to keep it in and put the box inside the glove compartment.
The ECU cannot detect it.
Then, you can store a metal key as you used to do. That should do the trick.

Think any old metal box will do, like maybe a small cookie tin?

I'll do some experimenting. Anyone know, if the battery was removed from a remote for say even a couple of years, then reinstalled, would the remote have to be programmed or would it remember the car?

Latest posts

Back