Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

Ourmazdas, I also saw this advertised at Ace Hardware. They claim they can copy my single M5 key for $90. Is it true then that all they are doing is cloning the key and really the CAR needs to be programmed to accept a new unique key in order to be able to use those two to program a third? So it really does mean that you have to take your car in to the dealer, absolutely no other options? No hacks out there through the ODB II port to simulate the WDS (what the hell is that anyway) system?

*EDIT*
So after reading through this thread for 2 hours, yes, one key people like me have no choice but to visit the dealer, unless they want a clone key (from Ace or locksmith) which will not allow them to make a 3rd key. I am going the eBay route for a key/fob combo, seems like people have had success with that.

On a side note, I challenge anyone to tell us what "fob" stands for, or where the term came from.
Also, what is the DWS or WDS system that Mazda dealers use to make keys?

Anyone?

Jive

OK, the more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know.

I thought that only the dealer can program the car to accept a 2nd key, but i was wrong. Yesterday, i went to a large local locksmith, and they connected a programmer to my ODBII port and programmed my other 2 keys to work with the car. These 2 keys i got from eBay, one complete OEM switchblade key, and one simple key with chip inside. All 3 keys work to start the car now, and they charged me $50 vs. $110 what the dealer wanted to charge me.

So, to wrap up, you DO NOT need to get your second key programmed at the dealer! A locksmith with the right tool can do it for 1/2 the cost!

Jive

Does anybody know if there is an external key pad like on Fords? Or will a Ford one work? I noticed That the Mustangs have the same switch blade keys. The 3 and 5 share a platform with the Focus. It is nice to make it very difficult to lock your keys in the car.

Does anybody know if there is an external key pad like on Fords? Or will a Ford one work? I noticed That the Mustangs have the same switch blade keys. The 3 and 5 share a platform with the Focus. It is nice to make it very difficult to lock your keys in the car.

I highly doubt it. But if you could make one work, then you are a genius.

… Later in that post he describes F1Y1762GX as a "normal" key "without the transponder / fob" [emphasis mine], but as I understand it, that type of key does have a transponder in it and can be used to start the car if programmed. Is there a transponder in both halves of the remote?
Transponder: The thing with buttons that you can press to tell the car to lock / unlock
Chip: The thing in the key that tells the car "this key is OK, go ahead and start the car"

And I can’t emphasize enough how great of a key Part # F1Y1762GX is. It’s smaller than the switchblade style key which is important if you keep your keys in your pants pocket, water proof*, and to an extent shock proof. And it is a lot cheaper than the switchblade style key. This is the Mazda key that I keep on my key ring.

And with regard to the comment about the cost of programming – if you order from the place I referenced before, Montgomery Mazda, the keys will come pre-cut based off of your VIN. The prices in Post #26 include cutting. You still have to program the chip of course which is very easy… assuming you have two working keys.

* When I go to the local water park I keep it in a pocket in my shorts, it is submerged for long periods of time. Water doesn’t hurt it. It’s a "normal" key. As for the shock proof - it's a normal key. If I set it on the ground and threw a baseball at it, it wouldn't be damaged.

Last edited:
I think I may have found what the parts were that I couldn't identify. I found a service bulletin to help people distinguish between similar or identical looking keys between the 2005 models of the Miata, RX-8, and MPV. That bulletin has the G2YA-76-2GX as the "Retractable Key Blank" for the 05 RX-8, which uses a "PATS coded access antitheft ignition system", and the NEY5-76-2GX as the "Retractable Key Blank" for the 05 Miata, which uses an "Immobilizer anti-theft ignition system", so they are not compatible.

Since it was so hard to find anything confirming that the NEY5-76-2GX would work with the 2010 Mazda5, and the G2YA-76-2GX is all over the Mazda5 forums, I'm assuming that my Mazda5 uses the PATS system, so the NEY5-76-2GX would not work with it. Anyone know any more?

Since the generic transponder key was out of stock at Dealextreme.com, I ended up purchasing a transponder key from mykeyless-1 on ebay for $8.95. Here is a LINK to the key I purchased. My local hardware store cut the key for me. I programmed it using the instructions at the the beginning of this thread in about 60 seconds.

Last edited:
And I can’t emphasize enough how great of a key Part # F1Y1762GX is. It’s smaller than the switchblade style key which is important if you keep your keys in your pants pocket, water proof*, and to an extent shock proof. And it is a lot cheaper than the switchblade style key. This is the Mazda key that I keep on my key ring.

Heat, do you manually lock/unlock the doors? Do you know if a KPU41794 remote (from Mazda3) can be programmed to work with the 5? I think it was mentioned earlier that programming the remote door lock button does not require 2 working remotes.

Thanks to this forum, I got my key replaced w/o getting ripped off.

I managed to lose my key, and my spare's alarm part doesn't work. But, at least I could still unlock and drive the car. The dealer wanted $310 ($210 for the key, the fob, and cuttting it; $100 for programming it). Not to mention I'll lose the car for the day sitting at the dealer. I almost fainted when I heard the quote, but thankfully I remember about this forum. After reading everyone's different experiences, I almost bought a keyfob off the internet. But I couldn't find anyone locally to program it.

Then I decided to spread my search out to New Jersey and, voila, I found NJ Locksmith in North Bergen. I called and told them what I have, he has the key in stock, and quoted me $150 for the whole job. He got the job done in about 20 minutes, also reflasing the keys so the old ones wouldn't work. He also made me a regular key w/o the fob.

So thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, as I almost immediately went to the dealer. Also thanks to Heat for the tip in having a "regular" key for when going to places like Sesame Place (or taking it to my p/t work in my case, so I can just hook it to my belt. With the fob I had to rubber band it so I don't accidentally open it up and loosen up the key).

Sorry for the long post, just expressing thanks to the forum here.

Heat, do you manually lock/unlock the doors? Do you know if a KPU41794 remote (from Mazda3) can be programmed to work with the 5? I think it was mentioned earlier that programming the remote door lock button does not require 2 working remotes.
Yes, I manually unlock the doors which is sort of a pain since the only keyhole is the driver's door.

As far as the KPU41794 goes, I have no idea, I haven't played around with that key.

Yes, I manually unlock the doors which is sort of a pain since the only keyhole is the driver's door.

As far as the KPU41794 goes, I have no idea, I haven't played around with that key.

KPU41794 doesn't seem to work. I think some ignorant sellers are listing the Mazda5 as compatible with this remote when I believe they mean the Mazda3 5-door. Looks like the only remote option for us is the bottom half of the switchblade fob. Since I have 1 complete OEM fob, all I really needed was a spare key that could manually open the door and start the engine. After calling about 12 different locksmiths in LA/San Gabriel Valley, I finally found one (Foothill Lock/Key in Pasadena). I was skeptical but for $65, they sold me a key (no remote), cut and "cloned". I didn't ask the locksmith but some people here mention "programming" and others recently talked about "cloning". With cloning, I can't produce a 3rd key with my 1 OEM and 1 clone. I'm OK with this. Heck, even if I get another clone, $130 is still cheaper than 1 programmed OEM from any dealer.

Last edited:
Key off ebay worked perfect

The key that electronics4lif mentioned from mykeyless-1 is awesome. Cut for $1 and programmed in seconds!

Thanls all for the great info. I have a 2012 Mazda5. I purchased 2 keys from ikeyless (https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Mazda/MAZDA5/2012/1000391/), because they were the only one I could find that said the key would work in a 2012 model. I had a locksmith cut (very difficult to get it to unlock the door, took some fine cutting). I was able to program using two factory keys and instructions in this thread. Note that on their site it said you had to go to the dealer to program the 2012 key, but for 2006-2010 it said it could be programmed by the owner with two keys. I wonder if there is any difference with the 2012 key from previous models. Either way the keys programmed and worked great. The cost is $20 for the first key and $13 for additional keys.

Mazda 5 2010

I am down to one key and was shocked at the cost of the replacement. I found out the programming instructions but does any one know where to find the appropriate fob for the 2010 switchblade 3 button style? Jan

I know this is for programming but how do you change the battery? One fob is dead and the other is almost there or do i have to replace both fobs? We are relatively new to Mazda5 ownership. Thanks

Go ebay.
But you must check the "something like series no." first (very long and they will show you how to open the key fob to check) to make sure the seller has the one match with you so that you can program the new one in the future.

Mazda 5 2010

I am down to one key and was shocked at the cost of the replacement. I found out the programming instructions but does any one know where to find the appropriate fob for the 2010 switchblade 3 button style? Jan

I contacted DealExtreme today because I still haven't received the plain transponder key I ordered back in April (not for the remote). They said they won't get any more and refunded my money.

I found a cheaper key on eBay and just bought one. The seller is mykeyless-1
I don't know the seller and haven't actually received the blank transponder key yet, but if you're looking for a key, check him out. The key is $8.75 with free shipping....shipped from the USA instead of China!! faster shipping time....nice.

Back